Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

brake clearance on wider rims
Quote | Reply
I'm having trouble getting enough clearance between rim and pad using a 25mm carbon rim and 105 brakes. Has anyone else found a convenient solution to this type of an issue? Is there a way to get the calipers to open a little wider?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: brake clearance on wider rims [makerr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assume you have already loosened the cable so that the brake is opening up all the way?

sometimes you just have to leave the quick release all the way open too.

If that still isn't enough, shave the pads!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: Apr 18, 14 6:36
Quote Reply
Re: brake clearance on wider rims [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any specific advice for shaving pads to get an even surface; dremmel, specific grit sand papers, bench grinder, the sidewalk, doesn't matter?

I think that the market is now out there for lower profile pads. I know swiss stop has some for all carbon, but none specifically for alloy.
Quote Reply
Re: brake clearance on wider rims [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I have released all the tension on the caliper and opened the little quick release, removed the cup washer that goes between the caliper arm and the pad and now I have enough room. It would be nice if I could use that washer to make toe in a little easier, but it will do for now. There was no way I could do it with the tektro caliper that was on the bike initially, as it opens up even less than the 105 caliper.
Thanks for the feedback so far.
Quote Reply
Re: brake clearance on wider rims [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Use them on another bike for a while?
I'm only half joking I've had to pull used pads off a bike in a pinch before.

J_R wrote:
Any specific advice for shaving pads to get an even surface; dremmel, specific grit sand papers, bench grinder, the sidewalk, doesn't matter?

I think that the market is now out there for lower profile pads. I know swiss stop has some for all carbon, but none specifically for alloy.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: brake clearance on wider rims [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to shave the rear pads down on my Speed Concept even after removing the spacing washer. I would definitely but low profile pads next time. Throw he pad in a vise and taking a file to a brand new pad is a little ridiculous.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply