Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Could I switch to 11 speed by...
Quote | Reply
Wondering if all I would need is rear der, chain, cassette, carrier for p-tap and shifter. Would the front shifting need to change?
Quote Reply
Re: Could I switch to 11 speed by... [Piche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Piche wrote:
Wondering if all I would need is rear der, chain, cassette, carrier for p-tap and shifter. Would the front shifting need to change?

add front derailleur and a wheel that is 11-sp compatible
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may be able to get by without a new rear derailleur. I have a bike with a 9-spd derailleur running 10-spd without issue. It will work fine as long as the limit screws allow the full length of the slightly wider cassette. I've run an 8-spd front with 9-spd chain without issue, but when I switched to 10-spd chain the 8-spd front derailleur started to have issue with the thinner chain. YMMV
Quote Reply
Re: Could I switch to 11 speed by... [fierceSun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fierceSun wrote:
You may be able to get by without a new rear derailleur. I have a bike with a 9-spd derailleur running 10-spd without issue. It will work fine as long as the limit screws allow the full length of the slightly wider cassette. I've run an 8-spd front with 9-spd chain without issue, but when I switched to 10-spd chain the 8-spd front derailleur started to have issue with the thinner chain. YMMV

Nope, that won't work. You'll need a new rear derailleur.

The 11-speed shimano shifters and RD (and FD too) have a completely different cable pull per shift. (Unlike 9 and 10 speed RDs, which had a similar cable pull ratio, it was mostly the shifters that changed.)

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Could I switch to 11 speed by... [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahh, news to me. Thanks for correcting that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have the last version of 2012 10-speed SRAM Red on your bike, then you only need to change out your cassette and shifters. Probably changing the chain to 11-speed is a good idea as well for smoother shifting, but is not absolutely needed.
Quote Reply
Re: Could I switch to 11 speed by... [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 11-speed shimano shifters and RD (and FD too) have a completely different cable pull per shift. (Unlike 9 and 10 speed RDs, which had a similar cable pull ratio, it was mostly the shifters that changed.)

No kidding? Shimano has had the same rear derailleur geometry across their line (including MTB) since 9 spd. How did it change and how much?

Quote Reply
Re: Could I switch to 11 speed by... [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
No kidding? Shimano has had the same rear derailleur geometry across their line (including MTB) since 9 spd. How did it change and how much?

11-speed shimano road: more cable movement per RD gear shift (compared to 10-speed road).

Also, IIRC, shimano changed the cable pull in MTB when it went to 10-speed (not sure which way they went), but shimano says that their 10-speed road RDs are not cross-compatible with their 10-speed mountain RDs (but some non-shimano folks say they work 'ok' together).

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply