Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rock n' Roll Marathon Savannah
Quote | Reply
Can anyone recommend a good hotel (would actually prefer a B&B) for this race?
Quote Reply
Re: Rock n' Roll Marathon Savannah [steelrain66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Inn at Ellis Square for hotel. Hundred yards from the start and perfect location for exploring Savannah. Won't need to get the in car from the time you check in. That is where we stayed when we ran a few years ago. There is also a Hilton and Double Tree next door. While the Hyatt has the primest of locations, I find the cost is too much for my cheap ass unless you are splitting a room with others.

For a more intimate locale, we have stayed at Planters Inn many times as well. Also not cheap (although cheap is very relative for Savannah). Skip the Marriott as it is kind out of the way even though it is downtown on the water.

Oh and check in early and then take the water taxi to the expo. Thank me later when you see the line of cars crossing the bridge.
Last edited by: godaddygo: Apr 18, 14 6:36
Quote Reply
Re: Rock n' Roll Marathon Savannah [godaddygo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response! Can I ask your thoughts on the race itself?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only done the half but it is a good race, nice crowd support. Ends in a park of Savannah which is nice for afterwards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wife did it. We stayed 6 miles from finish 8 from start. Great for spectators bc course crosses at points. She loves it. .. EXCEPT for last miles. The interstate is a DEAD zone and rejoining with the walking (3:45) half finishers is demoralizing. Great swag and atmosphere
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
steelrain66 wrote:
Thanks for the response! Can I ask your thoughts on the race itself?

We did it the inaugural year (2011?) and we very much enjoyed it, minus the traffic to the expo (which wasn't that bad when we got there but was really backed up when we left). Course is a little boring on the first few miles and the last few miles. In between was nice with good support. Worst part by far is the 2-3 miles on the elevated freeway. Year we did it there was a major headwind on the freeway and zero crowd support up there. That is rough at mile 22. Only crowded spot for me was on the way into the finish, you merge back onto the half course and I hit a lot of the half stragglers "running" 4 wide. They eventually split the road where marathons were to stay left and halfers right which helped.

We didn't stick around much for the post race concert as the wind had frozen my fingers and wanted to get back to the hotel asap. Savannah is a great town (where I met my wife) and we usually visit once a year or so, so I felt I had a leg up on where to stay, what to do, where to eat, etc. We are able to spend the rest of the day/night drinking and eating our way around downtown without having to go see all the tourist places since we have been there done that.

I do know a LOT of people complained about the shuttles to/from the start/finish. Pay the extra bucks to stay downtown and you completely avoid all those possible headaches. Enjoy!
Quote Reply