Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming tips needed!
Quote | Reply
Hello, i recently started swimming (for fitness and training) and im curious what techniques help with breathing and keeping consistent strokes. I have noticed that i struggle keeping my kicking consistent and my hip rotation is inconsistent as well. also should i take a breath with each stroke? When i do it feels like im doing La Mas, haha. Any info is appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming tips needed! [jconolty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim more.

Exhale underwater.

Breathe as you need to, learn to breathe on both sides.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Swim more.

Exhale underwater.

While this is short and sweet, it is actually really good advice.

One thing for keeping your kick going is to kick without a board and rotate from side to side. So you get used to rolling and kicking. Mimicking the roll of a stroke. I tell people that trying to figure out a constant kick and body rotation is like trying to learn a dance.

And as far as rotating....if you focus on "throwing" your shoulder and rolling it during the beginning of the catch phase this should help the rest of your body (i.e. hips) rotate as well.

If this sounds like shit I apologize. It sounds better in my head than it does typed

Last edited by: Turd Ferguson: Apr 18, 14 5:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jconolty wrote:
Hello, i recently started swimming (for fitness and training) and im curious what techniques help with breathing and keeping consistent strokes. I have noticed that i struggle keeping my kicking consistent and my hip rotation is inconsistent as well. also should i take a breath with each stroke? When i do it feels like im doing La Mas, haha. Any info is appreciated.

techniques to help with breathing: I suggest you hum underwater so that air comes out your nose, and then when you do breath you only have to breath in when your mouth is out of the water. A lot of new swimmers breath out and in when their mouth is out, but there is no need for that. As to how often - just breath when you want. It doesn't hurt to try breathing on alternating sides, but that can really mess with some newer swimmers.

All the rest - you need to just swim more. If you feel like the kick is inconsistent, then do some kick sets with and without the kickboard.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming tips needed! [Turd Ferguson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Turd Ferguson wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Swim more.

Exhale underwater.

One thing for keeping your kick going is to kick without a board and rotate from side to side. So you get used to rolling and kicking. Mimicking the roll of a stroke. I tell people that trying to figure out a constant kick and body rotation is like trying to learn a dance.

And as far as rotating....if you focus on "throwing" your shoulder and rolling it during the beginning of the catch phase this should help the rest of your body (i.e. hips) rotate as well.

If this sounds like shit I apologize. It sounds better in my head than it does typed

Yeah, I kept it short without explanation on purpose.

Anyway, he describes being inconsistent. Inconsistency is caused by lack of reps, and is corrected by putting more time in the water.

He describes breathing like a la mas class. Ie he's probably not exhaling underwater, and therefore not getting a full inhale above the waterline.

Anything else, I don't have a clue without more info.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming tips needed! [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Swim more.

Exhale underwater.

Yeah, I kept it short without explanation on purpose.

Anyway, he describes being inconsistent. Inconsistency is caused by lack of reps, and is corrected by putting more time in the water.

He describes breathing like a la mas class. Ie he's probably not exhaling underwater, and therefore not getting a full inhale above the waterline.

Anything else, I don't have a clue without more info.

No, I like what you wrote. I think the key for him is to find somebody that can fine tune his technique, (as much as possible) and then simply swim, swim, swim, and swim some more

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best tip I've ever received is to actively and consciously engage the Erector Spinae muscle groups, especially in your lower back (look em up). This causes your butt and leggs to elevate and greatly reduces drag. It also more tightly synchronizes your upper and lower body leading to more efficient rotation and transfer of power from your core to your catch and pull. It also eliminates "fish-tailing" to some extent.

When people say to engage your core while swimming, this is in part what they are talking about.

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for all the advice guys. It all makes sense and ill be hitting the water today to put it all to use
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do a search for Slowman's Guppy workouts.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply