Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Should I ditch my Hed3?
Quote | Reply
I've got a nearly perfect Hed3 tubular that I got back in 2009 and have rarely used since moving to SoCal. Most of the TTs have lots of corners and I prefer the wider Stinger 9. For really windy conditions, I have a wide 56mm U-shaped rim and could go with a 46mm rim if I need to. Running the aero data from Hed and using their yaw calculator, I can only think of one race (Fiesta Island) that is flat and with very little wind where the Hed3 would be an advantage over the other wheels. Thoughts? BTW, my average TT speed is 26-27 MPH . Thanks for the advice!

-Pete

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Re: Should I ditch my Hed3? [allenpg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The H3 is such an awesome wheel. I honestly prefer to race my 808 but I still like to bring out the H3 now and then even though it seems like the slower of two wheels.

Never sell what you might regret having sold later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cut me a deal on it if you wanna get rid of it. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is it a rear? They are junk, but I my need a rear tubular to complete the wheel arsenal.

As I said absolute junk….if you want to sell pm me.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Should I ditch my Hed3? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Front wheel. I can't remember the last time I didn't use a disc unless it was a super hilly course...:)

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got rid of my front and rear clinchers 700s for $675. Putting the funds to a new bike. They don't make sense if you use hub based power.

Swim - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Bike - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Run - ( ) All good ( x ) In the shop
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The faster you go, the more aero a wheel you need. I called HED directly for advice between the Jet 9 and H3. H3 is good for a triathlon with slower speeds and lower yaw angles. Once you get above 25-27mph the Jet 9 will out perform the H3. They said they couldn't stall the new Jet9+ (25mm rim and tubeless ready)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bottom line, if you're not using it (regardless of the reason) sell it and use the $$ for some other upgrade (helmet upgrade, new skinsuit, down payment on the new wide H3).

In the used H3 market, fronts go for more than rears, and clinchers go for more than tubies.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Apr 18, 14 18:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
remember a couple things about the yaw calculator:

1. on any given course, you aren't likely to have a perfect cross wind the entire time, or even half the time

2. wind speed at ground level is often 1/2 to 1/3 as fast as the weather report wind speed, which comes from up a bit higher.

allenpg wrote:
I've got a nearly perfect Hed3 tubular that I got back in 2009 and have rarely used since moving to SoCal. Most of the TTs have lots of corners and I prefer the wider Stinger 9. For really windy conditions, I have a wide 56mm U-shaped rim and could go with a 46mm rim if I need to. Running the aero data from Hed and using their yaw calculator, I can only think of one race (Fiesta Island) that is flat and with very little wind where the Hed3 would be an advantage over the other wheels. Thoughts? BTW, my average TT speed is 26-27 MPH . Thanks for the advice!

-Pete

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're a really really fast rider, that HED3 (with the right tire setup) is the fastest setup possible. There is a reason this wheel is the go-to wheel for some pro-tour level riders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, if you don't use it sell it….I already have a front ;-)

Personally I just love that wheel, I had a set of specialized about 16 years ago.

If you don't need the 500$ or so then keep it for those special occasions.

Maurice
Quote Reply