Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power tap would it be worth it?
Quote | Reply
Just trying to get some feed back on when most of you got into training and racing with power? I have been working out for 3 years and have been working my way up to my first IM this June. I'm 42 yrs old done a couple of 70.3's and olympics, run 2 marathons, not to serious into the racing side just really enjoy the process of training and working towards different goals. Allthough I do like to get faster/stronger.

I'm thinking of getting a powertapG3 laced into a set of Zipp404's this way I can use them for training and racing, but I'm thinking will it help that much and would it be worth it? I use HR for training now, but sometimes my readings are erratic and staying in a certain zone is difficult.

I'm hoping to complete the bike in 6hrs so I'm not fast, do I need to wait a few more years get a little faster and then think about getting into power training/racing or is it worth buying when I'm a little slower?

Thanks for any advice
Quote Reply
Re: Power tap would it be worth it? [zp295] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO a PM is the best option out there for improving your bike split. In many cases it'll change the way you approach training and racing.
It's also a good way to help insure that when you do LC races you don't fry yourself on the bike and suffer more than needed on the run.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would always take DD's advice. It's just a matter of what "worth it" means to you. If you can afford 404's and a Powertap without making big sacrifices in your real life, then go for it.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Power tap would it be worth it? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

It's also a good way to help insure that when you do LC races you don't fry yourself on the bike and suffer more than needed on the run.

LOL, where do I file my claim??? while my bike splits have improved tremendously using power, I've done three long course races with power (2 HIM and 1 IM) and the run at each has sucked! Which calls into question the value of my improved bike splits!

I'll get it right one of these days.
Quote Reply
Re: Power tap would it be worth it? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
IMO a PM is the best option out there for improving your bike split. In many cases it'll change the way you approach training and racing.

Recommended good value PM? (IE, cheap one that works good enough) I'm less concerned that it's accurate, rather is it consistent (if it's 3w off, it's always 3w off as I wouldn't know the difference any ways)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I question getting one built into a 404... since a cheap aluminum rim is better for training, and with a plastic cover it will be faster too.

I can think of 4 things that a PM is great for. Tracking your training load. Tracking your performance. Field testing to optimize your position. Race pacing... if you suck at pacing.
Quote Reply
Re: Power tap would it be worth it? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The reason for 404's is wheelbuilder has got a pretty good deal on them right now and I've always wanted a pair. Guy I ride with has a set and I tried them out and really liked them.

Thanks for all the other replies
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMHO Regardless of your level of training, event distance (excluding sprints), physical capabilities, etc.... a PM is simply the best purchase you can make on your bike. I went for 3 years without one, got one in December and can't believe I biked before it. I was an HR guy and I'm already seeing massive improvements in 3 months of training.

I might hold off on buying full carbon clinchers with a PT as my full on everyday set of wheels though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am the same age as you now. I got into this sport 3 years ago after a hip replacement 5 years ago. I got a PowerTap in the first year of cycling and found it to be an invaluable tool for measuring performance and getting better. Heart rate is good but so many external factors make it difficult at times. The PM is always accurate.

To your specific question, I would get something bigger than a 404. If you're spending this kind of money go bigger, at least on the rear. A 404/808 is a nice combo. And don't worry about doing some or all of your training with the race wheels. They are tough wheels.

Edit: just read your last reply. If you can get a great deal on a pure 404 set then go for it. You won't be disappointed.

------------------------
Loud pawls save lives
Last edited by: BionicMan: Apr 17, 14 17:39
Quote Reply
Re: Power tap would it be worth it? [BionicMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are tough wheels.

Until you hit a pothole, or rock, or crash.

But if you can afford to replace the rim if/when that happens, no problem.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
They are tough wheels.

+1, you're not out a lot if you bend a nice hoop

I also like the little boost from racing with race wheels verses training and racing with race wheels. I feel you get that little extra "pop" on race day, even if its only mental.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
They are tough wheels.

Have you experienced this personally? I've ridden race wheels and training wheels for thousands of miles on all sorts of crappy roads with potholes, cracks, etc. I have yet to damage a wheel. This argument is overblown.

Sure, crashes happen. It's a risk. Not a frequent occurrence for most people.

------------------------
Loud pawls save lives
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A weak point on clinchers is the brake track/bead hook area. If you bottom out hard on that it will crack (or bend if it is aluminum) and the rim will be toast.

Carbon rims aren't usually weaker than a good aluminum rim, but the cost to replace is much higher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BionicMan wrote:
rruff wrote:
They are tough wheels.

Have you experienced this personally? I've ridden race wheels and training wheels for thousands of miles on all sorts of crappy roads with potholes, cracks, etc. I have yet to damage a wheel. This argument is overblown.

Sure, crashes happen. It's a risk. Not a frequent occurrence for most people.

I've cracked two hubs (one cheap one...one chris king hub), and bent a rim track beyond repair during training. All on training hoops with more spokes than my race wheels.

I've also had rocks hit my rim...putting a nick in the aluminum brake track. Easy to sand down on aluminum...not so much if you have carbon clinchers or tubulars. I also rode with a guy who hit a rock and damaged his Enve carbon clinchers on the brake track.

Just this morning I hit a huge pot hole (I was following a car who was about to make a right where I was going straight...I didn't see the hole...double flat) and my brand new HED Belgium + 32 spoke front rim may be bent. I know something is off...but I had to get to work before doing a more detailed inspection. Still rideable...but has a vertical hop in it.

If it turns out my rim is toasted...it's $125 to replace. I can live with that.

ETA: All wheels are generally tough...until they aren't.
Last edited by: Jason N: Apr 17, 14 18:54
Quote Reply
Re: Power tap would it be worth it? [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I guess I'm lucky. Or there are other factors involved. Regardless, I've had the same luck riding cheap or race wheels in training. Your experiences are not a guarantee for everyone nor are mine. It's up to the individual as to the risk.

------------------------
Loud pawls save lives
Last edited by: BionicMan: Apr 17, 14 18:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BionicMan wrote:
Well, I guess I'm lucky. Or there are other factors involved. Regardless, I've had the same luck riding cheap or race wheels in training. Your experiences are not a guarantee for everyone nor are mine. It's up to the individual as to the risk.

Sure. I'm not saying my experiences are normal. I know people who have never been in a car accident...but they always wear their seat belt and make sure their cars have good safety features.
Quote Reply
Re: Power tap would it be worth it? [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
BionicMan wrote:

Sure. I'm not saying my experiences are normal. I know people who have never been in a car accident...but they always wear their seat belt and make sure their cars have good safety features.

^^ LIKE ^^
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any good power meter will bring about all the benefits that rruff mentioned and a couple you haven't even imagined. Like opening up the number of coaches that you have access to, for example. They no longer have to be near you to bring great value to your coach-athlete experience. You can choose from hundreds of qualified remote coaches.

A good power meter is the start of chronicling your training accurately. Powertap, Quarq, SRM, Vector, and P2M are all excellent choices. Check out DCRainmaker.com for his reviews.

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Re: Power tap would it be worth it? [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
IMHO Regardless of your level of training, event distance (excluding sprints), physical capabilities, etc.... a PM is simply the best purchase you can make on your bike. I went for 3 years without one, got one in December and can't believe I biked before it. I was an HR guy and I'm already seeing massive improvements in 3 months of training.

I might hold off on buying full carbon clinchers with a PT as my full on everyday set of wheels though.

I would argue that it holds value for all distances, including sprints. Training is training, and pacing is pacing. It might look different but a PM will help at any distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are going the Powertap route, then I would suggest lacing it into a wheel you like. I had a PT laced into a beefy training wheel and you always have the dilemma of racing a fast wheel without power or racing a crappy training wheel with power. I put my PT in a Flo 60 and ride it all the time. The only change I make is putting good tires and tubes on for the spring/summer.

Don't sweat the 404s. Zipp is good about crash/accident replacements at a reasonable cost and they are designed to be ridden every day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zp295 wrote:
The reason for 404's is wheelbuilder has got a pretty good deal on them right now and I've always wanted a pair. Guy I ride with has a set and I tried them out and really liked them.

Thanks for all the other replies

Go with the Enve 6.7's... 5 year warranty instead of a 2 year warranty. It justifies the slightly higher price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing people do not talk too much about concerning power meters is how much more fun they make riding. I love doing intervals with targeted power zones etc. It really makes the time pass by more easily. Instead of focusing on time or hr etc you simply target certain power zones. It makes more sense and is much more easily controlled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think everyone should have a power meter. I may be biased though. I agree with andy and others power opens up so many posibilites for training, racing, and advanced analysis/planning.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply