Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any Alcatraz Swim Experts out there?
Quote | Reply
I just read what they sent us regarding the "swim" information for Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon.

It says that the swim course will close in 1 hour and you will be brought onto land if you are still out there. Last weekend I did a 70.3 swim in 49 min's, not my best time (guess I can't swim in an awkward M course). So I need to swim a 1.5 miler in freezing cold water in Alcatraz in 1hr or less?? Is this a normal swim course, or does the current give you an advantage somewhat? I will work hard between now and June 1 on my swim, but I just need to know if i'm going to make that 1 hr cutoff.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Any Alcatraz Swim Experts out there? [IronHoosier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Not an expert but I did the event once. There is a current that will push you along. Attend the pre-race meeting and they will tell you what landmarks to sight for while doing the swim. One other thing, there may be small breakers at the shoreline so watch out for them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the Alcatraz Challenge Aquathlon a couple of years ago. I wasn't the best swimmer at the time and did the swim 42 mins. The current really helps. It was the most fun swim that I've ever done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will have no issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Alcatraz Swim Experts out there? [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb wrote:
You will have no issues.

That might be going a bit far, anything can happen.
I've swum Alcatraz about a dozen times. In varying conditions.
Generally, the try to set races when the current helps you.

An hour should let all but the worst flailers finish unless it is a victory at sea kinda day.

There are many tide and current apps and websites. If you poke around you can find those conditions for the date and time.

Do pay attention to the aiming instructions, they may not seem correct; but they should get you in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a pdf somewhere that shows a great way to swim it. You first aim for a certain tall building for a while. After about 10 minutes, you can tell that's it's better to aim for a different building, then after a while, better to aim for another different landmark. You memorize the 5 or so landmarks in order and aim for them as you swim. As the current pushes you sideways, you change your target because the old landmark is farther away than the next landmark.

Go to about 4 minutes into this video and you can see what I'm talking about. http://www.escapefromalcatraztriathlon.com/...Race_Tips.htm#Video8

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The current helps, most years. Last year, it was pretty choppy and colder than normal, since the race was in March. You will likely finish the swim in time given your 70.3 swim time, but it's not an easy swim. Get comfortable "being uncomfortable" in the water.

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Any Alcatraz Swim Experts out there? [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
SurfingLamb wrote:
You will have no issues.

That might be going a bit far, anything can happen.
I've swum Alcatraz about a dozen times. In varying conditions.
Generally, the try to set races when the current helps you.

An hour should let all but the worst flailers finish unless it is a victory at sea kinda day.

There are many tide and current apps and websites. If you poke around you can find those conditions for the date and time.

Do pay attention to the aiming instructions, they may not seem correct; but they should get you in.

I was trying to be supportive and positive!

:)

That said, obviously anything can happen - especially up there.

Also - fuck you to the OP for getting in ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done the swim 3 times. There is a good thread on here somewhere started by F Pro Lauren Goss that you can probably find.

Year 1: Helping current, smooth water. Swim time 36:06
Year 2: Slack current, big swells. Swim time 50:53 - I won my age group (M5-29 of SF Tri at Alcatraz). Only one guy in the AG went below 45 min.
Year 3: Helping current, strong chop and swells, cold. Swim time 41:06. (Escape last year). Only got one breath in on the right side. Got pummeled every time I tried to breathe that way.

That's a pretty big variation for the same swim. Advice is to be ok in cold water and swim in the bay before the race. Even if it's just a couple days in a row before the race at Aquatic Park.

For reference the 3 70.3's I did last year, swim times were 31, 31, 26:30.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Any Alcatraz Swim Experts out there? [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't say no issues since a swimmer passed away last year.

I did the event last year and froze my tits off when I jumped in the water. You have swim away from the boat asap however onces I was far enough away, I had to float on my back and wait for my equilibrium to come back. Hopefully it won't be that cold for you guys. I had terrible swim and sighting problems and still came in under an hour. Assuming all goes well, I doubt you will have any issues.

Quote | Reply
Conditions vary from year to year. Honestly, there are several places to sight off but the one tip that works the best is sight to the radio tower the whole time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done the swim 3X, it's been different every time. Twice to Aquatic Park and once to Crissy Field. But they schedule the race (AFAIK) to start just prior to slack tide before a flow out of the bay, that will (should) help direct you towards Crissy Field. You will not be with the current directly, but swimming across the river. Listen to the instructions as to where to site. You will be told to start sighting off one landmark, and as you get closer, you shift landmarks closer to the exit.

Get in the ocean in your wetsuit and swim in chop. Don't go at 7 am like we always do, go at 2 when the wind is up.

And the worst thing that happens if you don't make the cutoff is you get a boat ride to T1a and get to continue. They won't shut you out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the coolest swims I have ever done. Totally overrated in terms of cold though. Did it three years ago in a sleeveless wetsuit, no gloves, no booties. Only took me about 28 minutes or so and I made the mistake of getting caught in the back of the ferry and had to swim through huge packs of people. Best advice - get off the boat quickly, pay attention to sighting, don't allow the current to take you past the finish. And don't by the hype about the cold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I've done the swim 3 times.

Even though the chop can vary significantly, the organizers schedule the event when there will be an outgoing tide from 7-8am on race morning. You probably won't feel the current, though your pace/100yd will reflect it.

Being able to breathe on both sides is really helpful in this race if there's any chop, like last year. It's usually worst right off the boat and gradually lessens closer to shore, so stay calm initially and don't fear that some breastroke at first (to breathe and be able to see) will destroy your time.

I agree with other posters that the cold is a bit over-exaggerated. Wading in at Aquatic Park the day before always psychs me out - last year was particularly bad. But by the time you jump off the ferry, you will have been in your wetsuit for about an hour surrounded by 2,000 other warm bodies on the ferry; combined with the adrenaline rush, your body temperature will higher than it would if you just walked in from the beach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am glad you posted this. Today I am sitting at work, 43 days out from the event, stressing like crazy. I as well am not the fastest swimmer. My last HIM time was 44 min. I hope to do the Alcatraz swim in 50 minutes. I know we both will be ok, stressed to the max...probably. But it will be a great experience!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll be fine! Swim across the river, and use the landmarks. I swam for the Aquatic Park, and then for the huge dome. Wound up being pretty straight:

Quote Reply
Re: Any Alcatraz Swim Experts out there? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice swim
Quote Reply