Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Separate Age Group starts for men & women @ Kona [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, WTC is saying that they're doing, in part, to reduce drafting.

Well, how is adding another 1000 people to the race going to reduce drafting, even with wave starts?
Quote Reply
Re: Separate Age Group starts for men & women @ Kona [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
craigj532 wrote:
They tried this lays year at Honu, and it was a disaster for the fast female swimmers, and did nothing to reduce drafting. The fast women had to swim their way through the huge pack of men that started before them. The women started five minutes after the men. Shelley Harper had the second fastest swim in the race overall (only Pete Jacobs had a faster time, by a few seconds. So, she literally had to swim through about 1500 age group men.

It's a terrible idea for Kona, and I hope they reconsider.

Shelly Harper then biked a 2:54 and ran a 3:16 for a 6:44 half. She swam through 1500 competitors then got passed by half the field. Can you say on your left.

Shelley had a major foot injury and walked the entire Honu run leg in a walking cast.
Quote Reply
Re: Separate Age Group starts for men & women @ Kona [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Dev, I don't see that it was any easier before to qualify, at least not in my age group when I made it. I was not fortunate in the least to qualify....I worked harder and longer and raced smarter. It took me many, many years in the sport to get to that point (raced for 18 years to get there). That made it all the more valuable to me. We just agree to disagree I guess. Have great day!

Gary, I think it is easy for those of us who have raced Kona to say, "keep the qualifying tough". If people don't qualify too bad...should have trained harder. Really easy to say that when you are one of the fortunate ones who go to race in Kona especially in a former era when qualifying was easier and the race was less globally competitive. I don' tthink a 3000 person field would water anything down. it will be still tough and very "exclusive" (if that is what you want). I'd personally rather see many of my friends have an easier shot. It was much easier when races were 80 slot versus 50 or 30. It was still tough and will still remain tough.
[/quote]
LOL....it took my 13 years...OK not quite 18 years, but yeah, I get the training hard part. You're not the first guy on the planet who shed a lot of sweat and tears to get to Kona, but I don't think that's a good reason for everyone else to have to suffer through 10, 13, 18 years (or never)....seriously your accomplishment is not diminished if the race has 3000 people vs 2000 people vs 1000 people. I am sure there are 3x more people doing tris today than when the race had 1000 people and so on and so on.

It's OK if you want to agree to disagree....but at some point, why not just accept that times change, and it's not all the same as "back in the day". Today is a new day with new values in all aspects of society over 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago. We move with the times in all aspects of life. Why does triathlon need to be stuck in 1985 or 1990...or 2010? It's a lot easier to let go of the past. The sport needs to do that.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Separate Age Group starts for men & women @ Kona [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I had athletes race about 12 different IM events last year around the globe so I'm basing this on that and that the bulk of those were in the M30-45 AG's. Roll downs never went beyond 1-2 slots in those events and in many didn't roll at all. IMCabo this year rolled down 2 slots in the M40-44 to 8th. Last year 9th there in 2 different Ag's didn't get you close to a slot, zero roll downs in those AGs. IMSA 1 roll down M40-44 last year. IMMelb zero roll down in W35-39, Mandurah 70.3 and IMWA 1 roll down F40-44 bc winner already qualified. Most AUS races had zero to 1 roll down. Before top 10 punched your ticket, now often 6th in the AG leaves you at home instead of working on your tan in HI.

Even in the past when there were 10-12 they rolled sometimes down to 16-17th. Now if you finish out of top 10 in the AG you're not even sniffing a roll down. It's only going to get worse until they expand the field as they add IM's. If you take away all the slots at say Eagleman & Madurah 70.3 that may add 1 slot to every IM, maybe.

You've got to be at least 10-15 min faster on avg than 10 years ago to even look at a slot unless you're Powerball lottery ticket lucky.

I do agree that on the AG front you're seeing some dilution of the fields, but they've also diluted the slots. You're still a stud/studette if you're getting a slot. WTC events are among the most competitive AG races on the planet outside of nationals, Roth & some of the biggest Oly's in various countries. But I'd still argue that it's harder to KQ now than say 10 years ago.

On the pro side I think you can make a strong argument that Rev 3 fields are more competitive than the avg 70.3 field. But that is a different thread for a different day.

Anyway everything above is based on my narrow view of KQ where it impacts my athletes the most. others might have a different view.

Brian, agreed 100%. Your collective view as well as mine being a racer, and from athletes in my local training group and my peer group worldwide would corroborate your points.
Quote Reply
Re: Separate Age Group starts for men & women @ Kona [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev, does this mean that you accept that the "times have changed" regarding enforcing drafting in Kona and other large events? I have no problems with larger fields in IM events if they are willing to eliminate mass starts and alter the midnight finish cutoff tradition in order to spread out the larger fields.

As far as separating the men and women AGers in Kona this year, I would hope there would be at least 15 minutes between the two waves. If not, I don't believe WTC is concerned with reducing drafting in a way that truly would have an impact on the AG podium battles.
Quote Reply
Re: Separate Age Group starts for men & women @ Kona [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
So, WTC is saying that they're doing, in part, to reduce drafting.

Well, how is adding another 1000 people to the race going to reduce drafting, even with wave starts?

It really has to do mostly with everybody being about the same speed. You do a mass start and you have a giant pile of people just beating on each other, which is unsafe. And then you have a ton of people getting on the bike at about the same time, which leads to drafting which is both cheating and unsafe.

I haven't done Kona, but I did Nationals and I distinctly remember the swim was a pain in the ass, and that was withwave starts even. Everybody is so fast, you can't find a free spot to swim and actually enjoy it. And I'm extremely confident and fine in rough water and like roughhousing, but I'm at that race to see how fast I am versus the course, not do some aquatic cage fighting and then be pissed at drafting for most of the bike ride.

So, you stretch out the start some more and you get a more enjoyable race. Sounds fine to me. A race that isn't made up of everybody being crazy fast gives you a swim where the field gets stretched out pretty quickly.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Separate Age Group starts for men & women @ Kona [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Dev, does this mean that you accept that the "times have changed" regarding enforcing drafting in Kona and other large events? I have no problems with larger fields in IM events if they are willing to eliminate mass starts and alter the midnight finish cutoff tradition in order to spread out the larger fields.

As far as separating the men and women AGers in Kona this year, I would hope there would be at least 15 minutes between the two waves. If not, I don't believe WTC is concerned with reducing drafting in a way that truly would have an impact on the AG podium battles.

Mark, with proper wave spacing, there should be less drafting in a 3000 person race than a mass start competitive 2000 person race. When I say times have changed, I am referring to the popularity of the sport. The fundamental rules and enforcement don't need to change. The framework by which larger fields are managed on race however do need to change. You can't run a 3000 person race like a 1000 person mass start and pretend there are zero differences and then shrug your shoulders about drafting...if you get 2000 people coming out of the water in 60-70 minutes, that would be 2000 people in 600 seconds, so around 3 people per second....totally different picture than 1 per per second when you have 600 people out of 1000 arrive at the same time. So you can't manage the race the same way anymore. The math is simple and we all know that.
Quote Reply
Re: Separate Age Group starts for men & women @ Kona [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are splitting hairs...

I just like the mass swim start in regards to tradition. I just wish the WTC didn't mess with Kona..period...
Quote Reply
Re: Separate Age Group starts for men & women @ Kona [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This my first time ever posting but I read this forum several times a week.
I have done Hawaii several times (not lottery) and I am bitter sweat about the change. I am a very weak swimmer considering so I think I would like the less crowed swim (but I really never got in the mix of all of the fast swimmers anyway). However, being a slow swimmer I get the brunt of the Kona winds that continue to get worse as the day goes on. There have been some years when the pro's talk about how there was no or little wind but for us slower age group swimmers we could face winds at 25 to 35 MPH winds. Also, later in the day is when the rain showers are happening up in Hawi, I see the women facing more rain on the bike course. I would guess the women's (age group) bike times are going to be slower splits in the future but still a even playing field. As many of you have said, I hope this means more people have a chance to qualify.
Quote Reply
Re: Separate Age Group starts for men & women @ Kona [The Phoenix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2

The Phoenix wrote:
We are splitting hairs...

I just like the mass swim start in regards to tradition. I just wish the WTC didn't mess with Kona..period...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
.[/quote]with proper wave spacing, there should be less drafting[/quote]
Waves often flatten bike performance and can be extremely dangerous. Fast cyclists starting in later waves spend their ride sitting up, heralding their impending passes, yelling to struggling riders from earlier waves to move over, and breaking behind traffic jams. The fast riders pass earlier waves at a dangerous speed discrepancy that justifiably terrifies everyone involved. Is there a safer wave structure that shifts importance more toward the swim and bike rather than crippling them?
Quote Reply
Re: Separate Age Group starts for men & women @ Kona [DamonHenry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DamonHenry wrote:
Quote:
with proper wave spacing, there should be less drafting

Waves often flatten bike performance and can be extremely dangerous. Fast cyclists starting in later waves spend their ride sitting up, heralding their impending passes, yelling to struggling riders from earlier waves to move over, and breaking behind traffic jams. The fast riders pass earlier waves at a dangerous speed discrepancy that justifiably terrifies everyone involved. Is there a safer wave structure that shifts importance more toward the swim and bike rather than crippling them?

How so? Does that matter if each wave has same age groups/genders?

Quote:

Almost none of the above apply to Kona. Shoulders are as wide as a lane of traffic, there is full use of the travel lane if needed for passing, and by the time people do the out and back from Kawahai Jct to Hawi and back w/o a shoulder, the course has thinned out fairly well.

Quote | Reply
We do women get to race kona on the same day as the men? They just get in the men's way and it is dangerous for all.
Quote Reply
Re: Separate Age Group starts for men & women @ Kona [iron swimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take a hike, Troll.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: Separate Age Group starts for men & women @ Kona [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary Mc wrote:
My wife has complained about guys re-passing her and then slowing down for years. It happens so often that she expects it now.
/

I'm a BOP swimmer and a decent biker at a 70.3 or less. It's so fun to be riding steady and legal only to have some shit-head burst a lung to pass me, then SIT UP AND COAST once he gets in front of me. Happens all. the. time. Was horrible at IMCZ. This one guy…I wanted to just kill him.

I've never had a chick do that to me. (The bad-ass chicks are already too far ahead of me on the bike by then usually)

I bet these are the same ass-hats that pull ankles in the swim.

As for the OP, the only issue I have with this is fairness in swim cut-off times (botched at Honu last year, stopped a gal at swim exit just steps behind a guy that started 5+ minutes before she did! Huh.) and the finish time display on the clock. Is that the pro time? The men's time? Gone are the days of a great finish line photo with YOUR actual time on it, right? Pink finish clock at the Kona finish line?
Quote Reply
Re: Separate Age Group starts for men & women @ Kona [MrsTiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW- I don't get that male-ego driven attitude that says you can't be passed by womens in a race either. The smarter behavior is to let them pass and hang back the required distance. There you can reap the benefits of a legal draft plus you can camp out and enjoy the view. It's win-win.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Separate Age Group starts for men & women @ Kona [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
FWIW- I don't get that male-ego driven attitude that says you can't be passed by womens in a race either. The smarter behavior is to let them pass and hang back the required distance. There you can reap the benefits of a legal draft plus you can camp out and enjoy the view. It's win-win.

YES! Back in the day as a runner, I wouldn't let any women beat me in a run but I was able to pull it off ... even stayed 10 secs ahead in an 8K when the women's WR was being set behind me. Those days are long behind me and I am very content to sit the legal distance behind the 'womens' in their spandex outfits. In fact, it is one of the benefits of triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Separate Age Group starts for men & women @ Kona [dirby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
However, being a slow swimmer I get the brunt of the Kona winds that continue to get worse as the day goes on. There have been some years when the pro's talk about how there was no or little wind but for us slower age group swimmers we could face winds at 25 to 35 MPH winds.//

Hey Kirby, welcome to the mosh pit!! Keep in mind for your bad examples of folks getting on the course later, there are many that go the other way. I did the race there 15 times, and on several occasions the winds did pick up in favor of the homeward bound leg. Many times it is a tailwind coming home, so if the winds pick up during the day, a lot of folks get a much bigger push than they had in their faces going out. So pretty much a crap shoot really, and as many have pointed out(including yourself) the same people racing for awards will all start with the same weather, whatever it will be..
Quote Reply
Re: Separate Age Group starts for men & women @ Kona [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't read the whole thread, so forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse, but...

I feel that mass swim starts, swim drafting and swimming "smart" has become an integral part of triathlon. Even though it is an individual sport, the strategy of the swim start breaks the monotony and includes some spice to make it more competitive. It does have some risks, but for people ready and willing to take that to get up to the front of and on top of the podium spots. For age groupers beating personal bests, simply staying on the far left or right will keep them out of the squall.

Personally, one of the most fun mass start triathlons I've ever participated in was a 300 yard swim, super sprint brawl against extremely choppy waves.

YOu know what else was an integral part of triathlon, riding the bike leg on open roads with traffic and no marshals, swimming in 50 degree water with no wetsuits, and having no aid stations. But since you have so much fun with the scrums, never mind that people may be dying from them.
Quote Reply
Re: Separate Age Group starts for men & women @ Kona [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only deaths I've heard and read about haven't been directly related to being knocked unconscious, but from heart attacks. Elevated heart rate and panic can increase the chance of cardiac arrest, which could be from being caught in a scrum (especially because almost no deaths happen from cardiac attacks on land). Several articles, doctors, and race coordinators have all reported that most deaths in the swim occur from a pre-existing heart condition. I post two articles here for both arguments:

http://www.mensjournal.com/...letes-dying-20121203

The refuting article: http://swimswam.com/...ming-and-triathlons/

Yeah it's the most stressful part for many people, but if that person is cognizant of their weakness in the swim leg... stay on the outside. A larger population means more accidents, even as rare as they are. Comparing to other sports or events which are inherently more dangerous is irrelevant, since mitigating these events should always be a priority. Time trial starts have the risk of clumping, especially around buoys. Being self-aware and waiting literally 5 seconds for the scrum pack to go takes oneself out of that situation. By the time the next pack catches up it's usually spread a bit thinner and more manageable

EDIT: I need to add to my opinion, as well... I'm primarily just against time trial starts; mass starts and wave starts include an element of strategy and technique as well as keeping more of a "midnight finish" meaningfulness to the race. It's a pretty empty ideal to some, but as selfish as it may sound that was my initial draw to triathlon. There's more to a mass start at Kona than just a fist throwing.

Last edited by: odpaul7: Apr 25, 14 18:04
Quote Reply
Re: Separate Age Group starts for men & women @ Kona [odpaul7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Several articles, doctors, and race coordinators have all reported that most deaths in the swim occur from a pre-existing heart condition.///

I'm not a doctor, but have talked with many about this. I'm a race director(over 60 races) and have been at least that many times a swim coordinator too. Was a medic and lifeguard for over 30 years, and probably have done well over a couple thousand OW swim races. I got one of these heart conditions during a swim, so i think i can at least have an opinion on the subject, unlike your group that are certain it is from pre existing conditions.

I have said this many times before, all these folks were not going to die that day if they stayed home and did not race, about 99% sure of that. They all presumably trained for the race and did not die. They sat at home many a day and did not die. Something they did that morning and during the swim that they died in, provoked something really bad, and they died. Most assuredly some had pre existing conditions, but that is not exactly what killed them. It would have been a cocktail of things that brought it to the surface, at that exact time and day. Are we to believe that all these people were just going to die anyway? I think we now have enough information to know that it could be and is a variety of things that lead to these types of deaths. And it does not take a rocket scientist to presume that panic, often times extreme panic, would be right at or near the top of the list of things that contribute. I have many times stated what i believe to be the kind of top 10 list of factors that can be damaging, put a few or more together and you have a real possibility for disaster.

And like Potts who stated even he has been in a deep panic during a swim, i have been there too, several times. So it is not really about your shape or speed, it can happen to anyone.
Quote Reply

Prev Next