Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommend me a tubular tire
Quote | Reply
I have a set of 202's used for uphill bike racing or TTs...almost never for training other than a test ride. One of my big races this year is cycle to the sun (Haleakala). I lent my 202's to a friend for a race a few weeks ago, and he flatted on the way to packet pickup...sigh. I have Vittoria Corsa Evo CX tires which seem to be the fastest tire...but low puncture resistance.

I'm not up to speed on the latest and greatest in the tubular world, so just wondering if there is a "GP4000S" (referring to the clincher version) of tubular tires that offers great all around properties. I'm shying away from Continental tubulars since they don't use latex inner tubes but would be open to the idea if there is data to suggest that it doesn't matter.

Again...these are for racing only...generally on good roads, but I don't plan to race with a spare either. And FWIW, pit stop did not work on the flat...not even close.

If I had to do it all over again, I would probably build up a new lightweight aluminum clincher set and save myself some headache...but a new tubular tire is cheaper for the time being. Any advice appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a tubular tire [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well a 202 is more of a light climbing wheel than anything very aero, especially if it isn't a FireCrest. It is really hard to beat the Vittoria for a race tire and to be honest I have never had problems with flats. They aren't Armadillos, but they have a low Crr, decent flat protection, and a great feel.

Maybe the only tubular that would be worth trying would be the new Schwable triathlon tire. They have a good Crr, but nobody has reported on how they ride, durability, grip, flat resistance,.. I can only assume that their aero design works as advertised.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to think that Corsa evo's were bad with flats, I just got back from Maui and did about 1200 km on a corsa evo that I pulled off my girlfriends race wheel from last year.

I fully expected to flat but it has about 1700km on it and 1200 of that on the rear. I am home and it is still good.

I did the east Maui loop with 10 miles of gravel and really the worst pavement known to man. No flats.

Having said that I was fully expecting to flat so I was pretty careful for rocks glass etc, I think picking your line a bit goes a long way towards tire durability.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Schwalbe Ironman Tubular or ONE Tubular.

Both have latex tube, good durability, and low crr.

22mm size.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A tufo with a quarter cup of Stan's
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a tubular tire [martinduathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello
I ve had Corsa Evo Cx for year but was upset with the punctures
I switched for Veloflex Carbon. They re just perfect. Low crr, few punctures, easier to put on
Never looked back
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a tubular tire [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've also found the Corsa Evo CX quite durable. I've got a set on my racing clinchers for two years now - not a single flat despite logging probably 800km of racing and about as much again in key sessions with the deep wheels.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you worry about flats, conti competition front, conti gp4000 rear
if you don´t veloflex carbon or extreme

I use tufo extrem and co2 cartridge (16gr) for flats

Do you happen to know the difference between these 2 tubulars? Is one of them more puncture proof? They both weigh the same but there is a $10 price difference between them. I want to buy a set soon

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a tubular tire [slowshortround] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowshortround wrote:

22mm size.
I know nothing about the Schwalble IM Tub but it rolled really well according to TomA's testing.
http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/...-tires-clincher.html

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a tubular tire [slowshortround] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowshortround wrote:

22mm size.

If I were still riding tubulars, it would be on these.

Powered by Dalzell Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a tubular tire [Dopers.Suck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Do you happen to know the difference between these 2 tubulars? Is one of them more puncture proof? They both weigh the same but there is a $10 price difference between them. I want to buy a set soon

One says "IRONMAN" and the other doesn't?

I kid.

I think similar compound but the IM version has grooves that allegedly help the aerodynamics but no tests done yet from anyone I've come across.

They both ride sweet.

ONE has a more typical road racing tread - diamond pattern.

Good deals on bike24.com - about 2/3 MSRP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just mounted a set of Schwalbe Ironman Tubulars this week. They mount relatively easily. I've gotten a single ride on them. Seemed fine. No perceptible difference for me from my Conti Competitions.

I did get a slight bit of hop at the stem, but I'm hoping this will work out. Doesn't seem to affect the ride. (Probably operator error.) =(

-Stephen in Arkansas
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a tubular tire [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same - I've ridden Vittoria EVO CX's(clincher) as my everyday tire on my training wheels, all year on our typically lousy roads and even some gravel and dirt, and had the usual number of flats that I get in a year (1 - 2). This on a tire that many say is "susceptible to flats"

Generally regarding flats:

- flats happen

But to mitigate them as best possible:

- Check inflation before every ride
- After every ride check tires for embedded glass or cuts.
- Use top of the line rim tape
- Obviously ensure tubes and tires are installed properly

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a tubular tire [old bull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"if you worry about flats, conti competition front, conti gp4000 rear "
-----------------
I've been riding this exact set up for years....never waste time on the side of the road.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a tubular tire [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Using the much larger sample size of "The entire austin racing community" the Vittoria EVO CX flats real easy.

=)

If your local roads are smooth and clean of course they will be fine.

Fleck wrote:
Same - I've ridden Vittoria EVO CX's(clincher) as my everyday tire on my training wheels, all year on our typically lousy roads and even some gravel and dirt, and had the usual number of flats that I get in a year (1 - 2). This on a tire that many say is "susceptible to flats"

- flats happen

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked up some Schwalbe Ironman's for my Easton EC90TTs. They currently have only a 10mi TT under their belts, but I will be sure to report back once this full season on tri's, du's, and TT's develops.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you are not going to flat going up haleakala. don't get a tufo. corsa or conti comp. both are great.

get dura ace tubeless next, holy moly are they nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a tubular tire [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The roads I race on are fine...which has me still leaning towards another Corsa Evo CX. It's everything else that sucks. Which is also why I was a little disappointed to hear my tire went flat when my friend road it to packet pickup for the race I let him borrow the wheels for. The roads he was riding on suck. Lots of glass and other debris. But then again, the guy doesn't have a car. He probably took it on a test run, had everything ready to go...and really didn't have much choice. Oh well...

Just wanted to make sure there wasn't a latest and greatest option. FWIW, I've raced on the Corsa Evo CX tubular and clincher most of the last 3 years and didn't flat...knock on wood. I have switched to the GP4000S on my 404 clinchers though.

jackmott wrote:
Using the much larger sample size of "The entire austin racing community" the Vittoria EVO CX flats real easy.

=)

If your local roads are smooth and clean of course they will be fine.

Fleck wrote:

- flats happen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using Conti Podium TT on climb wheels & TT wheelsets. Very low rolling resistance; it uses an ultra thin butyl tube; tread is decently sturdy for what it is- a race day only tire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found this web site with all the tubular tires and description.
Very helpful:
http://www.worldclasscycles.com/tubulars_free.htm

Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a tubular tire [Me_XMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Consider a little sealant regardless if what tires you ultimately choose.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a tubular tire [Hoshie99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1
Quote Reply