Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Finding Trails in Scottsdale, Flagstaff, and Grand Canyon
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for running trails in Scottsdale, Flagstaff, and the Grand Canyon.

in Flagstaff I'm staying at the Little America Hotel off Butler Avenue. At the Grand Canyon I'm be at the Thunderbird Lodge.
Quote Reply
Re: Finding Trails in Scottsdale, Flagstaff, and Grand Canyon [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
south mountain in scottsdale -- some threads on here for phoenix/scottsdale will have more info. the park (south mountain) borders the south of phoenix (around 40th st?) google south mountain/phoenix and youre there.

Quote | Reply
I'm not from area, but just saw this online - hope it's helpful: http://running.competitor.com/...-vacation-spot_99467
Quote Reply
Re: Finding Trails in Scottsdale, Flagstaff, and Grand Canyon [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
South Mountain is a good choice, but is not in Scottsdale. It's about a 20 minute drive from South Scottsdale (downtown). You didn't say where you are staying or what you are looking for, but the McDowell Sonoran Preserve has a lot of great, but rocky, trails:

http://www.mcdowellsonoran.org/...sthash.8aeBjflm.dpbs

Trail 100 in the Phoenix Mountain Preserve is also a good choice and reasonably close to Scottsdale.
Quote Reply
Re: Finding Trails in Scottsdale, Flagstaff, and Grand Canyon [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how about the Canal Trail system - any good?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's very convenient, and you can go for miles. It's flat dirt with the occasional street crossing, but very popular. Singletrack in the Preserve is much more interesting and challenging, IMHO. Here's a map with distances for the canal system: http://www.srpnet.com/...anals/distances.aspx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canals are great. Flat and options for dirt or sidewalk. All my runs are on the canals.
My go-to real trail run is trail 100 starting at Dreamy Draw Park (Northern exit off the 51). I prefer to run East. Lots of criss-crossing trails, but staying on trail 100, you can run about 3.5 miles until you hit Tatum, then I turn around and run back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The canal system is flat and boring. Phoenix is surrounded by mountain parks and has a huge one right in the middle with many trials. If I were going to pick the best trail for Sonoran desert scenery I would pick the Granite Mountain trail (136th st) in North Scottsdale. It is a bit of a drive but fabulous scenery and a nice sandy surface for running. A bit closer is the trail system starting at Brown's Ranch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look up the FUTS, Flagstaff Urban Trail System, Map. There is part of it right near Little America hotel, and there are options off of that part of the trail as well. If you have a car, you can also go towards Shultz Pass, which is on the way to the Canyon and get lost there. Depending on when you are there, they may have the 'Bagel Run' leaving from Biff's Bagels on a Thursday morning.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Flagstaff you got to go to Fisher Pt! It is in Little America's "neck of the woods," too. How long will you be in Flag? If you are there for a while, I could give you lots of other recommendations based on what kind of runs you are looking to do.

Link to a trail guide for fisher point. http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/760124

Jason Pedersen
RunPd.com - Running as fast I can since '93
@jasonpedersen
Quote Reply
Re: Finding Trails in Scottsdale, Flagstaff, and Grand Canyon [Jason P] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flagstaff for two days and then the Grand Canyon for two days. Fisher point looks fantastic!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're there a couple days, you may want to check out Walnut Canyon. Lots of trails/dirt road out there. About a 6 minute drive from Little America: https://www.google.com/...9192!2d35.191547!1m0

***Fun fact: Walnut Canyon is Bernard Lagat's favorite place to run in Flagstaff***

Jason Pedersen
RunPd.com - Running as fast I can since '93
@jasonpedersen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd suggest McDowell MTN park just between Fountain Hills & Scottsdale. Lots of great trails for running. Check out Pemberton trail for a nice long rolling soft trail (23km or so). Or the competitive track area. Have Fun!

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply