Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Power balance on different bikes [Sim0n0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just back from my first ride on my second bike fitted with Rotor 3DF Type S Power2Max - same result 47% L / 53% R
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sim0n0 wrote:
No, the Wattbike is a stand alone static training bike - not a turbo trainer. The data I have is from the Wattbike and also a Rotor Power (fitted to two different bikes) - both of these power meters measure around 53% L / 47% R

I know what a Wattbike is. I was surprised you said you measured P2M and Wattbike data together, I thought perhaps you had some funky custom arrangement, but now it's clear that's not what you meant. i.e. you are quoting values from three meters on different bikes measuring power balance.

Sim0n0 wrote:
The Power2Max has replaced the Rotor Power on one of my bikes - ALL the bikes have the same crank length and are set up very close (measured by my Retul). The Power2Max measures 47% L / 53% R

Same bike set ups - different data. Either Rotor Power and Wattbike are wrong or Power2Max is wrong..

Those are not the only two possibilities.

The P2M and Wattbike are measuring one thing, the Rotor is measuring something quite different. While they each use the term "Power Balance", they are not the same measurement.

Hence if you directly compare Rotor's data with either the Wattbike or P2M, then any differences may be a multitude of things.

The fact that your P2M and Wattbike report different power balance is of more concern suggesting one or both are wrong since they use the same means of power balance measurement.

You have no way of knowing if your Rotor is or isn't correct.
Quote Reply
Re: Power balance on different bikes [Watt Matters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watt Matters wrote:
Sim0n0 wrote:
No, the Wattbike is a stand alone static training bike - not a turbo trainer. The data I have is from the Wattbike and also a Rotor Power (fitted to two different bikes) - both of these power meters measure around 53% L / 47% R

I know what a Wattbike is. I was surprised you said you measured P2M and Wattbike data together, I thought perhaps you had some funky custom arrangement, but now it's clear that's not what you meant. i.e. you are quoting values from three meters on different bikes measuring power balance.

Sim0n0 wrote:
The Power2Max has replaced the Rotor Power on one of my bikes - ALL the bikes have the same crank length and are set up very close (measured by my Retul). The Power2Max measures 47% L / 53% R

Same bike set ups - different data. Either Rotor Power and Wattbike are wrong or Power2Max is wrong..
..While they each use the term "Power Balance", they are not the same measurement. .
Then ANT+ shouldn't allow both to use the term "Power Balance"!

From what you've said, Power2Max/Wattbike could produced a more accurate "Power Balance" than Rotor/Vector!?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sim0n0 wrote:
Then ANT+ shouldn't allow both to use the term "Power Balance"!

They are aware of it but I don't know what they are proposing to do about it, if anything.

Sim0n0 wrote:
From what you've said, Power2Max/Wattbike could produced a more accurate "Power Balance" than Rotor/Vector!?

One method is not intrinsically more accurate than another. They are just measuring different things.

For instance say you had a meter of each type and they were each very accurate (e.g. within 0.1%). Despite that, each can still provide quite different power balance values, even to the extent that one might indicate right side dominance, while the other indicates left side dominance. Or one indicates symmetry while the other suggests an asymmetry.

How you decide to interpret such information, let alone act upon it, needs to consider what is actually being measured.

This is partly why PB values are, for the moment at least, red herrings.
Last edited by: Watt Matters: Sep 8, 14 23:20
Quote Reply

Prev Next