Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP! [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tonight was a whole 6 minutes at 11:00 m/m. Woohoo! Knee wasn't too bad but it's clear I have work to do.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP! [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Celebrate the victories!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP! [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
Tonight was a whole 6 minutes at 11:00 m/m. Woohoo! Knee wasn't too bad but it's clear I have work to do.

Awesome!!
Quote Reply
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP! [Champalada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh, got slammed at work and didn't do anything but for three days.

Did 40 easy minutes on the trainer yesterday--longest ride to date.

Good news is that I saw my primary doc this week, and he supports 1) seeing a surgeon that can do minimally invasive back surgery "just in case," but 2) holding off on surgery for a couple of months as long as I'm making progress. Not so good news is that he supports that because the nerve damage is permanent, so no urgent/emergent need for surgery. :-( It's something I'll have to work around in rehab.

We're also going to look at some different meds for chronic pain management.

Quote Reply
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP! [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh boy, I've sucked the last couple days.

Thursday was PT so I used that as my activity for the day. Friday I was sore from the PT and the treadmill run/walk. Got a massage that afternoon and he beat the hell out of me. I was so sore the last couple days I didn't do anything besides some easy walking.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP! [Champalada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Champalada wrote:
I didn't realize that this was for ladies recovering from injury. I'm so sorry! I should have read a little more thoroughly.

yeah, me neither. so sorry! when i'm injured or sick i avoid ST like the plague because it just pisses me off to no end to see everyone talking about training. i'm finally healthy since trochanteric bursitis, dengue, typhoid, GI stuff, respy stuff and now all i need to do is fix my bike front derailer thingie (i tried this yesterday and made it So Much Worse) so i can ride but mechanic is coming home tomorrow (i sleep with my mechanic :), hell he gave me 4 kids, the least i could do) and i might leave it for him. so swim and run only today.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Last edited by: kathy_caribe: Apr 21, 14 10:51
Quote Reply
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP! [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kathy,
Don't worry about it. Awhile ago we morphed into a "anybody that needs some motivation can join" challenge. Glad things are going better for you. That was quite a rough patch you went through.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been on a mini holiday since last Wed. Lots of time in the car & lots of hanging out. Some walking around/lugging the little one, but mostly relaxing.

However, my back is acting up again & I'm going to see a chiropracter tomorrow. Now it feels less like generalized muscle pain & more specific in the hip. Either way I'm over it & I don't think the pain should still be this severe.

I also stupidly weighed myself when we got home. Sigh. And I'm going shopping with my sister (and a professional shopper) next week. I don't want to even buy anything - with the hope that I won't be this size for much longer. Sniff, sniff.
Quote Reply
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP! [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honey, I'm there with ya! Hubby gave me a clothing gift certificate for Xmas that I haven't used yet because I'm clinging to hope that I won't be this post-injury size for much longer.

I finally managed the reverse the upward weight trend until this weekend. It's amazing quickly one weekend of sloth can turn that around.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think that single handedly eating an entire bag of mini eggs was in my best interest....
Quote Reply
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP! [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mmmmm....mini-eggs.....

Got in some time on the treadmill yesterday and a swim Monday. Tonight will be another swim.

I'm up to 6 x (90 seconds run + 2 minute walk) Wow, a whole 90 seconds! Thankfully my knee hasn't been sore afterwards.

Side note: I saw the weirdest guy at the pool Monday. Snorkel and face mask, long flippers and a water polo cap. He asked me about the swim workouts book I have and said he only ever does the same workout. I said that would drive me nuts. Then I realized I essentially called him nuts. I quickly pushed off for my next set.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you're running without pain! Exciting.

To be fair, it sounds like an encounter with a Strange Denizen. And you only indirectly called him nuts. I would call that a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jen, glad you are getting more run time.
My home pool has a Snorkel & Fins Denizen too.
When I was in Denver awhile ago, an old lady at the pool asked me mid-set if I were "speed swimming." I'd never heard anyone call laps that, LOL.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speed swimming, I like it!

Back at the pool this evening. Only shared my lane for about 10 minutes, otherwise it was nice a quiet. I love having a pool where kids aren't allowed.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am tired of doing nothing, so I helped swap out the winter tires on both cars Saturday. It made me hurt - but at least I felt like I earned it.

Went out for a very lame bike ride yesterday on the MTB. It would have been even worse, but I realized that the Garmin was still in imperial from running - so the stats weren't quite as dire. Almost an hour of riding & I hit up the river valley a bit (sadly all on the paved paths). It was nice to see so many people out and about - especially all the families. It almost made me feel guilty for ditching my husband/son so I could get a ride in. When I got home they were running around the yard, kicking balls and "tackling" each other - I don't think they missed me much. :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's great that you were able to get out on the bike. I'm stuck on the trainer for the foreseeable future, but at least I'm on the bike!

Quote Reply
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--How is it going? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm getting at least half an hour of aerobic activity in nearly every day, sometimes more. Yesterday I got to swim for the first time in months. How are others doing?

Quote Reply
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--How is it going? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Better than me. On the positive, my issues are more mental than physical at the moment. I'm not sure I'm "fixed" but I can do daily tasks without thinking about whether or not it's a good idea.

Running is off the table for now, but before our recent cold snap I was getting out on the bike regularly.

I'm going to try swimming tonight - my reward for surviving the day with a sick/crabby toddler.
Quote Reply
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--How is it going? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm having mixed success. I've been doing something every other day or so, I just forget to log it in the training log. My work has gotten out of control and my anxiety is creeping up which makes it hard to do anything other than hunker down at home as soon as I leave the office. I know that moving will help with the stress but once the anxiety kicks in it is very hard for me to go out in public. Home is a safe place and as soon as I'm done with work I just want to get there. I get agoraphobic which can be paralyzing. I have to find a way to stop this cycle before it gets me locked in the house which has happened before.

Right now I'm exhausted and overwhelmed. All I really want is to stuff my face with cake and watch TV. Not a good combination. My weight is drifting up, 3.5 lbs in the last month, so I'm on a sugar hiatus this month. So far it isn't helping me at all.

I found a website that has a bunch of Pilates videos that I'll try tonight. My parents are visiting, staying with my brother, so I need to pull my shit together.

Jen

Quote Reply
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--How is it going? [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds really rough. Do you have a trainer? Can you ride that at home? (I forget if you can do that with your injury.). You deserve to get your shit together for yourself.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm okay. I've not been logging anything, since I haven't been doing much to speak of except watching TV and napping. And eating. I mean, I can't do much, but the last three days my proud moments have been getting out into the backyard for some sun! And then I was tired afterwards.

Recovery from surgery sucks. It is not for the faint of heart, for sure.

I start PT next week, so I will start logging then to keep me accountable. I NEED to do my PT. I have a history of being very diligent up front, but then as soon as I start getting good results, I slack off. That can't happen this time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got my log up to date. I had to accept that sometimes I need a day off, especially since I'm trying to function at work so that my boss doesn't suspect that I'm struggling, and things have been especially crazy lately. Last week I made it through and only snuck off twice for a nap - I needed/wanted to on a couple of other days but couldn't pull it off, and I survived. I got in 3 pool swims, 2 strength/flexibility sessions, one walk + some treadmill time at PT, and 2 open water swims where I talked more than I swam.

After the incident with the dog a couple of Saturdays ago, I didn't ride this past weekend. I was just feeling too vulnerable, and then I got annoyed with myself, but I'm not giving up.

I started acupuncture a few weeks ago - I'm still not convinced that it's helping, but I'm committed to sticking it out for 6-8 sessions as recommended. I'm hoping it will help with the headaches and neck pain, and I asked for a little extra to help with cravings. My food issues are out of control, as evidenced by my very tight clothes. I'm also still seeing the psychologist every couple of weeks - I was thinking about cancelling because I was mostly using it to vent, but he's been coming up with some interesting insights and useful suggestions, so I'm going to stick with it for now. I might ask for help with the food issues - I've been trying to keep it to accident-related issues, but the weight gain is related - even though I feel that I should be able to control it, the depression and inability to exercise have been the key factors. I used to be heavy but kept off 60 pounds for 9-10 years until I got hurt.

I had some ladies come Sat and Sun to our little neighborhood beach - there's a very popular women's only race on Mother's Day, and every year ladies start posting about their fear of open water swimming. I was excited Sat because I felt that I really helped one lady, but on Sunday I had a lady who couldn't swim to start with, let alone with a little chop. I tried to gently suggest that she switch to the duathlon, but she's determined to do the Tri. I was preaching on the FB page about kayaks being for emergencies, not rest stops, and that you need to be able to swim the distance. I think I was tactful because some people thanked me, but I still worry about those who aren't ready. It's only 200 yards but it's in a lake with brown water, and it's always been choppy.

Sorry my posts always get so long - I think posting is part of my therapy and helps me get my thoughts together ;-) I haven't been on much because of work, but I try to read the updates when I can - you ladies are awesome and inspire me, make me laugh, make me think, and make me realize that I'm not alone in this recovery process. Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: Womens 100 days of activity challenge--How is it going? [mdiane630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So much of what you wrote rang true for me. I lost nearly a third of my body weight when I started training for tri, and it's been really hard watching the weight creep back up. And it is the combination of no exercise and the funk of depression. Plus I work from home, and snacks are always around the corner....

I also was aiming for activity every day, and like you found there are just some days I need to listen to my body and rest instead. The PT I'm in now can really leave me feeling beat up.

Stick with the acupuncture a bit longer. (Get the joke--"stick" with the acupuncture....) It took me at least four sessions before it started making a difference in terms of pain control. Now, I know that the first half hour after I get off the acupuncture table is the best I'm going to feel all week.

Hang in there kiddo. Let us know how the swim goes for your peeps.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by katcycles [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went for an hour long spin on the cross/commuter bike yesterday. It was an actual "workout" ride - got my heart rate up & felt fatigued when I was done.

It would have been more of a "win" but I skipped the club MTB ride (that my husband wanted me to do) because I was feeling too out of shape to attend. My mental attitude is going to hold me back more than my body... :(
Quote Reply

Prev Next