Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Tough transition for women" story in NYTs
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: "Tough transition for women" story in NYTs [jww] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good article. Seems like a lot of the universities signed on even though they had no intentions to pursue W's Triathlon as a Varsity sport because they figured other institutions might.
Quote Reply
Re: "Tough transition for women" story in NYTs [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Without more of a commitment, triathlon could face the same fate as women’s archery, badminton, squash or handball, all former emerging sports that never caught on"

Really? That's a fair comparison. Triathlon participation at the youth level has to be about 10X those sports combined. 200X when you add in swimming cycling and running. A better comparison might be women's Crew. I don't know the whole history and timeline, but from what I can tell, it's doing fairly well.

Another way to dramatically build the sport is the get youth programs into the high school level. The challenge there is the liability of cycling training. You probably have to do most of your training indoors on the bike and focus on the swim/run aspect.

The best way to sell the sport to elite athletes, is that it's another path to the summer Olympics if your very good runner and swimmer, but will never be in the top 3 to qualify.

Finally, if USAT wants to build up the sport, they should team up with USA Swimming to further broaden youth swim programs. I think similarly USATF should foster youth soccer programs. Sounds strange, but I think that's one of the best paths to identify and develop running talent at a young age in a way that's more fun that running in circles.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Last edited by: motoguy128: Apr 16, 14 6:09
Quote Reply
Re: "Tough transition for women" story in NYTs [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
"Without more of a commitment, triathlon could face the same fate as women’s archery, badminton, squash or handball, all former emerging sports that never caught on"

Really? That's a fair comparison. Triathlon participation at the youth level has to be about 10X those sports combined. 200X when you add in swimming cycling and running. A better comparison might be women's Crew. I don't know the whole history and timeline, but from what I can tell, it's doing fairly well.

Another way to dramatically build the sport is the get youth programs into the high school level. The challenge there is the liability of cycling training. You probably have to do most of your training indoors on the bike and focus on the swim/run aspect.

The best way to sell the sport to elite athletes, is that it's another path to the summer Olympics if your very good runner and swimmer, but will never be in the top 3 to qualify.

Finally, if USAT wants to build up the sport, they should team up with USA Swimming to further broaden youth swim programs. I think similarly USATF should foster youth soccer programs. Sounds strange, but I think that's one of the best paths to identify and develop running talent at a young age in a way that's more fun that running in circles.

Ya, I have long thought that USAT could team with USA Swimming to offer an aquathlon at major swim meets, e.g. a 1500 m (or 1650 if in a 25-yd pool) swim combined with say a 5000 m run. Many major meets are held at college pools which have a standard 400 m track nearby such that they could hold the 5000 m run quite easily. This swim/run event could be an option for all entries in the 1500, just do the run after the swim and then add the times to determine overall winner. Many colleges already do this sort of event as part of their early season training.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: "Tough transition for women" story in NYTs [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"liability of cycling training" ????????

We (as in the larger American society as a whole) let boys play football and subject them to repeated concussions and traumatic brain injury? IMHO cycling is much safer than football.

Want to equalize the male/female number of athletes at colleges (or high school for that matter)? Get rid of football. The most idiotic "sport" I have ever seen.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: "Tough transition for women" story in NYTs [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrTriKat wrote:
Get rid of football. The most idiotic "sport" I have ever seen.

Idiotic but profitable. Without football, many universities would have to drop most of their sport programs (or subsidize them from non athletic dollars).

At big time universities in the US, football pays the bills for everything from men's baseball to ladies tennis and everything in between?

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: "Tough transition for women" story in NYTs [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:

Ya, I have long thought that USAT could team with USA Swimming to offer an aquathlon at major swim meets, e.g. a 1500 m (or 1650 if in a 25-yd pool) swim combined with say a 5000 m run. Many major meets are held at college pools which have a standard 400 m track nearby such that they could hold the 5000 m run quite easily. This swim/run event could be an option for all entries in the 1500, just do the run after the swim and then add the times to determine overall winner. Many colleges already do this sort of event as part of their early season training.

That's a really good idea. I bet you have a bunch of kids that aren't the best 1500 swimmer, but maybe are good runner that, as many triathlete enjoy, when combined makes them top dog.

Notice I didn't bother mentioning USA Cycling. Even though a draft legal duathlon would be a perfect pair with a Crit., especially when you already have a closed course, permits, etc. I don't think cyclists can get over themselves to reach out and work with another group. They're seem to be too concerned about strict categorization of their racers, equipment rules, the purity of sport, and other BS. Race maybe 12 laps on a 1 mile circuit, then run 3. Give time bonuses for top 3 positions on each lap, double for laps 4 & 8, then triple for the final lap.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: "Tough transition for women" story in NYTs [bufit323] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's premature to write about the demise of women's triathlon as a varsity sport. I mean we are < 3mo in from the official announcement.

If you look at the stats, football is a loss leader at many universities. You can run a bunch of non rev sports for a lot less than most D1 football programs lose. Now would you get the same subsidizes or corporate sponsorships? Probably not, but you might still not have as big of a loss either.

Here are some articles about it:

http://www.businessinsider.com/...xpense-report-2011-6

http://www.usatoday.com/...s-subsidies/2142443/

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply