Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Chicago ITU Course [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
darkhorsetri wrote:
Before everyone gets their panties completely bunched up in a wad about course congestion, consider this:

The Oly age group starts at 6AM. The PC race starts at 11:30 and the AG sprint race starts at 11:45. One quick look at the wave times from Cape Town (where they also had a four loop bike course for AG) this past weekend shows a 15-minute gap between waves starts, which seems in line with the PC race and the AG sprint race on the Chicago schedule. If you start the race at 6A and have a wave going off every 15 minutes until 11:15 for the Oly race, that allows 22 waves of participants spread over 5 hours and 15 minutes. WTC will put 22 waves into the water over the course of 80-85 minutes.

To me, and this is just speculation mind you, it seems like these worries about course congestion could be completely unfounded and that maybe the ITU put some forethought into how the race is organized.

That sounds a lot less congested than Hyvee. It was a longer course, but the wave starts created congestion and there were plenty of turns and not nearly as wide as city street. 2-3 lane roads can accommodate 4-5 bikes wide without issue. Overall it was stillit was manageable, and remember ALL of the people in your same age group have to race with the same restrictions. Navigating turns and traffic is part of bike racing. At least there aren't any real hills that I'm aware of. Hyvee had at least one downhill where I remember going at least 35mph with a tailwind passing folks doing just over 20... sitting up, probably using their brakes.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ITU Course [PhxTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the love of god they should just use Lake Shore Drive. It has limited access anyway, so easier to close off than using the streets in the Loop.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ITU Course [MikenUltra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many of the people who are complaining about the course have actually been on it before? None? I'm guessing that the city and ITU sent some people to check things out beforehand so who's in a better position to make an informed judgment?

Is it ideal? What race is? In any case, it's going to be a unique experience. For those complaining about the water temperature, Lower Wacker's lighting, or the pavement not being silky smooth, there's an indoor tri calling your name.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ITU Course [centaur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lower Wacker is smooth as glass, drove it this morning. There is over head lighting in lower wacker as well.

No idea what people are talking about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually bike commuted to work this morning and briefly went through piss-tunnel (lower wacker). Didn't really see any pothole problems. Lighting was ok, and I had smoke-colored shades on.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ITU Course [running2far] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It wreaks of urine (I live next to it) and it is, by far, the filthiest part of Chicago. Out of sight, out of mind for the city.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ITU Course [calcio20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
calcio20 wrote:
It wreaks of urine (I live next to it) and it is, by far, the filthiest part of Chicago. Out of sight, out of mind for the city.

And this matters during a bike race how...?

Everyone is talking about the "sites". Who takes in the sites during a race anyhow? Good grief. Take in the sites the day before. After the race. But during the race, you might just have piss on yourself and wreak like a used gym towel. I don't care if the homeless people are lined up on both sides throwing piss bombs at the athletes...does not matter. My family will see me 7-8 times on the bike course and more during the swim and the run. That's far more than they have in any race that I've ever been a part of.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ITU Course [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I pay $150 to do something, I would prefer not to be choked by the smell of urine for 60 minutes of it.
Last edited by: calcio20: May 2, 14 7:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's why I signed up early so I'd save and have enough money left over to buy this ...

http://www.turbospoke.com/

If you think any stench will be annoying just wait for the echo down there.
Last edited by: centaur: May 2, 14 8:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in West Loop Gate and drive it all the time too. If you live next to it, you know the two year project to redo it.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ITU Course [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody see this video on Youtube?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJQDCV7QLEc

Looks like a neat experience. I am concerned about congestion on the turns. If I had a roadie, I would be using that instead of my TT.

Should be fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ITU Course [FlannyOH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlannyOH wrote:

Looks like a neat experience. I am concerned about congestion on the turns. If I had a roadie, I would be using that instead of my TT.

Should be fun.

I agree. All M55-59 competitors should bring their road bikes.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ITU Course [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is amazing the way people find some reason for every triathlon to imagine a road bike is a good idea

stringcheese wrote:
FlannyOH wrote:

Should be fun.

I agree. All M55-59 competitors should bring their road bikes.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ITU Course [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone who often drives on the route, this is definitely not a road bike course in terms of fast times. There are 2 u-turns per lap but the Lower Wacker section is smooth, flat, and fast; plus it's 2 lanes wide. You definitely want to be on your drops. If you like your road bike, use it but you'll lose a lot of time. There was talk of a more technical course that would have changed the equation but the final course is definitely a TT course.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ITU Course [brian_j_smith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's rare to see swimmers before early June. Typically it warms up rapidly then on. It all depends on the wind direction. Last summer, in July, the water was 92 in some pockets in MI/IN but 50 in Chicago. The water will warm up but it's the wind the night before that'll make the difference. It'll be swimmable with a wetsuit for sure unless there's a strong offshore wind from the west for a significant amount of time.

BTW, 34 is the ambient bottom temp at depth. It's warmer at the shore now (even if too cold to swim).
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ITU Course [thefarsouthside] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just checked the water temp @ Grayslake in the northern 'burbs.....currently estimated @ 47*. Lake Michigan is gonna be behind that.....

By early May I am usually getting my first OWS of the year in....not this year. First race is less than a month away and I am not foreseeing any OW practice before the gun goes off (and it is gonna be a cold swim!!)

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ITU Course [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the forecast I'm following ... http://forecast.weather.gov/...=lot&product=omr

"CHICAGO SHORE...52" as of 9 AM this morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link...warmer than I would have thought!

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ITU Course [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the best place to check out Lake MI water temps:
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/...=lm&p=a&m=te

it gives you more of a sense of how wind will impact things.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ITU Course [running2far] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
running2far wrote:
Lower Wacker is smooth as glass, drove it this morning. There is over head lighting in lower wacker as well.

No idea what people are talking about.

Thank you for the recon. Sounds like the ITU and City of Chicago have laid out a smooth course and would bet that they will have the route cleaned up to put on the best show possible. I am really looking forward to this - like others have said the loops will give the family ample opportunity to see me racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ITU Course [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, I was completely with you on this one until I saw the first waves are 5 minutes apart. With each wave "up to 150" this could mean 100's of athletes all sharing the same 6.2 mile course.

Forget aero, safety may be the name of the game for this 31 year old.
Quote Reply

Prev Next