Re: Ironman Maryland [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just read speculation among STers that this event could be 1 & done
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:
Just read speculation among STers that this event could be 1 & done

I think I am guilty as the speculator-in-chief on this. My speculation is based on several things: Lack of interest in the race, poor infrastructure for supporting a full Ironman (if hotels are selling out already, what would happpen if this race had 2500 competitors like other IM races?), a boring and uninteresting course that I do not think is going to provide the kind of experience that people want from an Ironman, and overcrowding on the IM calendar for that time of year. But most importantly, it is almost certain that this race was an afterthought derived from the WTC rescue of the Columbia Tri. They still do not have maps up on the course, and the race is only a few months away. There has been no word on the length of the contract, which is often mentioned.

Now...this is ALL speculation, and not a single assumption I am making has been proven. WTC may cap this race at 1200-1500, which is about the same size as Eaglmen, which obviously works in Cambridge. The course may be exactly what people want (flat flat flat seems to be the only real thing most peopel seeking an "easy" ironman care about), and the demand may exist for 2015 when people have more time to select the Maryland race over other races.

One thing is for certain...just when you thnk WTC is done adding races, they add more. I think they have added at least one new IM in North America every year for the past 10. Even if IM Maryland is gone at the end of this year, there will almost certainly be new races to choose from for 2015.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
WTC may cap this race at 1200-1500, which is about the same size as Eaglmen, which obviously works in Cambridge. .

Eagleman had over 2500 signed up this year.

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland [TriBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See how effective speculation is?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
course maps have been posted, missing a few details on aid stations and run mile markers
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland [runobx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like the run course map leaves off the fact that you have to do the out and back 3 times.......

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe a new course would change speculation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maps are now up........Looks like they shortened the run course to not include that God awful out and back straight away. Bike course looks the same as Eagleman except your going in the opposite direction on the loop (clockwise for IM, counter for Eagleman). As expected, swim is same, just two loops.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland [Fruitcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you head south on the bike you are further east than Eagleman. This is a good thing as it is not as chewed up as the Eagleman course was this year.

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:
maybe a new course would change speculation

It might. I looked at the map. The run course seems improved over EM, even if three out and backs seems like it would be really tough mentally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the swim a mass start or waves like EM?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jjh wrote:
Is the swim a mass start or waves like EM?

the swim will be a rolling start.
Athletes will enter the water in a continuous stream through a controlled access point, similar to how running road races are started. An athlete’s times will start when they cross timing mats under the swim arch.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#ixzz37CCchZdi
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mapped it out and as posted the run will be a FOUR loop affair...UGH.

B
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Macho Grande wrote:
I mapped it out and as posted the run will be a FOUR loop affair...UGH.

B

Based on their mile markers, it's only 3 loops and it does say 3 loop in the upper left of the course map. Turning for a 4th lap at mile 20 would definitely be tough...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland [the V] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like three loop runs, better than two loop. At 8.7 you're gettting your stride, at 17.4 you're hurting but not done, then the last lap is just two 4.5-ish legs.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland [cowardlydragon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gonna be great for family as they can see you 6 times on the run. Hopefully, course crowding won't be too bad but with the current participant list at around(rough counting) 1500 we might be okay.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
masterslacker wrote:
Gonna be great for family as they can see you 6 times on the run. Hopefully, course crowding won't be too bad but with the current participant list at around(rough counting) 1500 we might be okay.

Augusta 70.3 has approx 3000 on a 2 loop course and it works out fine. The wife said it was her favorite race (as a spectator) because she could watch all the top finishers race and then get to see me several times over the next 1.5 hrs ;o)

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
European IMs typically have 3-6 laps on the run without crowding issues. It's great for family and athletes. For family, they not only see you many times, but they also see all the other action. For the athletes, you'd see more crowd support than an 1-2 loop course. Seeing more athletes on the course makes the suffering more bearable :) .... then again, Euro IMs have better scenery and a lot more crowd support than what you would see in Cambridge

Quote | Reply
not sure where you get your info about lack of interest in IM MD. I'm on a large Tri team in the DC/Northern VA area and we have nearly 70 people signed up for this year or wanting to sign up for next year. Not everyone who wants to do an IM can or wants to spend thousands of dollars to travel for a race. The Cambridge location is very convenient to racers and families in the DC, VA, MD, DE area. Yes, the course is flat and not as interesting as other races but its an IM, not a trip to Disneyland. We are there for the physical and mental challenge and not to go sightseeing. IM FL sells out in minutes and the bike course is very boring and has a contiguous 10 mile stretch that is so rough the road becomes littered with ejected bottles and gear. If the town of Cambridge can handle 2500 racers for EM then it should be able to handle an IM. WTC is not stupid and would not investment significant cash in the event if they though there was a good chance they cancel after one year.
Last edited by: shaidar: Aug 5, 14 12:41
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland [shaidar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shaidar wrote:
.... The hotels are sold out; however, there are hundreds of condos, homes, and townhouses you can rent in Cambridge or surrounding area.

Hi Shaidar,
My wife is racing im-maryland and we have had little luck finding a place to stay. The last time that I looked, there was one hotel with rooms (in Easton), one very large and very expensive house on Taylor Island, and a couple of houses with one room and no kitchen facility - both a fair distance away. There are lots of camping sites at two state parks that are about 40 minutes drive from Cambridge. Clearly, my internet search skills are severely lacking. Have looked at vrbo.com, airbnb and a couple of hotel search sites (.e. expedia).

Could you please suggest some other places to search for rental condos, etc? Thanks muchly.

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland [georgereid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
George

We rented a large house about a month ago from VRBO.com and split the rental cost among several IM racers. At the time there were many places available; however, I just noticed only a few options remained on the website. A good remaining option would be to share a large house with other racers and agree for each to put rental and deposit money in escrow prior to booking. That will ensure that everyone ends up paying their fair share.

Good luck

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve,

Thanks. Organizing a large shared house is good idea, but won't work very well for us. There is only one other person coming from our area (near Ottawa, Canada), as far as I know. I expect there will be some people who cancel out a couple of weeks before the event, so i'll try to get on waiting lists for some hotels. We are also considering renting a small RV and parking it at one of the state parks.

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland [georgereid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know a couple of people who are staying in Salisbury MD. Plenty of hotel space there and its about a 35-40 minute drive to Cambridge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Steve. My wife found a place in Seaford this morning and booked that. It is about the same distance away.

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply

Prev Next