Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2015 Ironman 70.3 World Championships in Kaprun, Austria
Quote | Reply
That should make all Europeans happy in terms of travel:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...ll_receive_4257.html

And all others excited because it promises to be a great venue. The area at the very least is stunning.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Ironman 70.3 World Championships in Kaprun, Austria [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those pictures are stunning. But is this a completely new venue? Has no other race ever run out of that area? With Vegas and Mt. Tremblant they were using established races as starting points.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Ironman 70.3 World Championships in Kaprun, Austria [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It has been a venue since 2012, so it took place twice and will again happen in 2014 before it is run as a WC event.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Ironman 70.3 World Championships in Kaprun, Austria [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do we know about the course?
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Ironman 70.3 World Championships in Kaprun, Austria [KaiserChief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the pictures, I'm guessing it's a pool swim, a fatbike ride, and a snowshoe trail run.

Just kidding. This should be awesome. Although it appears the bike is a 2-loop mostly flat course in the valley. Not Clearwater flat, but unfortunately flat considering all the mountains around.

Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Ironman 70.3 World Championships in Kaprun, Austria [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This promo video seems to show some hills that guys are having to put some effort into getting up. Of course they might be the only hills...

https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah, I'm excited! Hope to nab a slot this August. Rolldowns welcome.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Ironman 70.3 World Championships in Kaprun, Austria [KaiserChief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Friends did this race the first year, '12, and it's a pretty flat bike course and it was cold and pretty much rained all day! I think they mentioned something about a short cobbled section on the bike as well. Not sure what the weather was like last year but I don't think it was hot. Don't see any course profile maps up on the 70.3 site, assuming they are going to use the same course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When does qualification start? i.e. what's the last race for 2014 worlds and the first qualifier (and last) for 2015?

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd definitely have a hard time turning this down, despite the cost of getting myself & the bike over for the race in 2015.

The only issue is that it's 99% certain to be a draft fest unless they really spread out the waves.

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Ironman 70.3 World Championships in Kaprun, Austria [urbantriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
urbantriathlete wrote:
The only issue is that it's 99% certain to be a draft fest unless they really spread out the waves.

No. There's a 100% certainty it will be a draft fest regardless of what they do because its the 70.3 WC.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Ironman 70.3 World Championships in Kaprun, Austria [MCSLC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calgary, July 27, 2014 is the last qualifier for this year's IM70.3 WC. Anything in August starts qualifying for 2015.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Ironman 70.3 World Championships in Kaprun, Austria [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
urbantriathlete wrote:

No. There's a 100% certainty it will be a draft fest regardless of what they do because its the 70.3 WC.

Don't care. I've seen mega drafting at Clearwater and less so, but still significant drafting at Vegas. I'm not a podium contender, just happy to qualify and be there. I don't like the drafting, but for those that want to avoid it altogether it is best to stay away from any WTC events because the sheer number of participants practically guarantees that drafting will occur.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love Austria! Time for a double helping of KAISERSCHMARRN. Hope I make it....

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Kaiserschmarrn/

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a promotional clip from the race:

https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like the Tour de France on the bike course, all of the people are on the street!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This looks like a great venue but I was soooo hopeful for Nice France as I have a larger emotional attachment to that place. Cote d'Azur is one of my favorite places in Europe (I know it is can be crowded etc but still), so a bit bummed that the 70.3 World's will not be there. At least the date for the Austian event is during "summer vacation season" for families although perhaps on the borderline for many with some schools opening up before then depending on where you live in the Northern Hemisphere. Tremblant and Vegas both had bad dates for families.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Further announcements on this race today.

Two loop bike route replaced with single loop including 1280 meter climb into the Alps. That should reduce the drafting significantly.

Saturday will be regular Austria 70.3 open to all.
Sunday will be the WC Austria 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Ironman 70.3 World Championships in Kaprun, Austria [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought those arm bands they gave out in different colors to tell you want lap on the run you were on was a great idea.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply