Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [jamgam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jamgam wrote:
+ whatever to 1up. They're awesome and worth the money

+1 another on the 1up. Awesome. So fast to load/unload the bike(s).
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [phx_willy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phx_willy wrote:
1up

Hands down, awesome rack : http://www.1upusa.com/

Yet another satisfied person with this rack. I bought (and returned) about three other racks until I settled on this one. I think it is the last bike rack I'll ever need to own.
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [cell1122] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have two kinds. One is an older a 4 bike frame mount that swings out of the way so the SUV hatch can open up. Similar to this one.

Another I just bought for the car was a cheap Nashbar brand 2 bike platform type. Picked it up with one of their recent additional % off sales for $98. Did the job for a recent 100 mile trip. They have a 4 bike version too.

Can't beat the convenience of the platform model. The built in offset ensures handlebars, etc., don't ever interfere with one another.

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [dgran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgran wrote:
phx_willy wrote:
1up

Yet another satisfied person with this rack. I bought (and returned) about three other racks until I settled on this one. I think it is the last bike rack I'll ever need to own.

Another vote for 1 UP USA. Made the decision to buy it here for Hawaii exposure. I've seen a lot of the other racks with plastic anything on it just fall to pieces due to the sun and salt exposure. Also love the expandability of the 1 UP racks.

Easy on and off, folds up and stores easily.

•••Only issue - rear fenders! If you have plastic ones, they can probably take the pressure. Metal ones will have to come off. Surly Long Haul Trucker fit fine with rear rack on bike, but fenders had to come off. Front fenders aren't a problem.

Denise
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [MrsTiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrsTiki wrote:
dgran wrote:
phx_willy wrote:
1up

Another vote for 1 UP USA. Made the decision to buy it here for Hawaii exposure. I've seen a lot of the other racks with plastic anything on it just fall to pieces due to the sun and salt exposure. Also love the expandability of the 1 UP racks.

Easy on and off, folds up and stores easily.

•••Only issue - rear fenders! If you have plastic ones, they can probably take the pressure. Metal ones will have to come off. Surly Long Haul Trucker fit fine with rear rack on bike, but fenders had to come off. Front fenders aren't a problem.

Denise

The engineers at 1up can handle your fenders with ease. Check out their fender cushion.

http://www.1upusa.com/...t-fendercushion.html
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [mcycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that! I just dunno if that would work without mashing the fender….
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
another vote for Kuat - the cheapest (not exactly cheap!) model works fine.
Rock solid, quick and easy to use, the tilt function that moves the bike away from the back of the truck makes packing and unpacking easier.
If you have a disc on the rear either switch the wheel out when you get to your destination or put the bike in "backwards" - the handle comes down on the back wheel and the strap goes through the front wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrsTiki wrote:
Thanks for that! I just dunno if that would work without mashing the fender….

Talk to the 1upusa people. You don't actually have to make the rack super tight on the tires for it to safely hold. I don't have any fender experience, but I do have a bike with a rear rack that forces me to make the rack looser on the wheels, versus mashing. The 1up guy said not to worry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing to keep in mind when carrying a tri bike is the amount of drag it will create when placed perpendicular to the wind as it would be on a hitch mounted rack. This isn't really a problem for road bikes or mountain bikes, but modern tri bikes have an enormous amount of lateral surface area for the wind to catch. A couple years ago when I was driving to a race my bike actually flew off the rack the first time I hit 50 mph. Granted, I had a disc wheel on it, and it was one of the racks where you strap the frame on rather than a tray-style rack, so I should have known better. I've been using a roof rack ever since, though.

Zach McCormick
Catalyst Cycling
http://www.catalyst.bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
me too. I'm using this a poor excuse to post another picture. But damn it just looks good . I fold it up and can easily store in my garage when not in use

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [wacomme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wacomme wrote:
Felt_Rider wrote:
frankienm wrote:
great report and great car, just bought a 14' mazda3s touring hatchback. same white color too.

Thanks
My wife has an 07 mazda3 and I would like to talk her into the 14 3.

I just bought the 14 Mazda 3 i Touring Hatch. Love it.

I carry my bike inside the hatch. I'm looking for a rack to carry more than one bike.

Just got the 14 3 i Touring myself. Interested to hear what you came up with. Put a Curt hitch on mine with my Thule T2. Had an issue with the exhaust rubbing against the hitch. So it's being replaced by Curt.

My T2 seemed to bounce around a good bit more than it did on my Hionda fit, even with the threaded locking pin.

So I just ordered the NV.
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
This is the Cadillac of bike racks... ...but that was easily remedied with a bungee cord.

Do people often use bungee cords to make their Cadillac's more functional?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure the OP already bought a rack, but I'll throw another vote in for the Kuat and here's why. We have a '14 Outback and a Kuat Sherpa. The hitch has a couple different holes to put the lock pin through so you can control how far from the rear bumper the rack sticks out. When we're doing a long highway trip, we push the rack in as far as it'll go and, even though it's only about another inch, it seems to really shelter the bikes from nearly any wind at all. The downside is that there's not enough clearance to fold the rack up. However, when we're at our destination and not doing much highway driving, we move the hitch out an inch, relock it, and then we're able to put the rack in the stowed position or carry bikes. I don't know if that was an intentional part of their design, but it definitely works. Rock solid rack, but it's light enough that my 90# wife maneuvers it with ease.
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [vertseven] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vertseven wrote:
I love my Yakima DoubleDown. I have the older DoubleDown 5 (family of 4 and an extra slot for a friend) and it's on my SUV all of the time. Even my 8 year-old daughter can lower the rack with no problem. When the bike is secured, I can lower the rack without taking the bike off the rack. The rack is also useful for hanging my wetsuit before and after a races/OWS.

Have the same one and love it. I got mine from etrailer. Best price and customer service I could find.
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [triflorida] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triflorida wrote:
I'm sure the OP already bought a rack, but I'll throw another vote in for the Kuat and here's why. We have a '14 Outback and a Kuat Sherpa. The hitch has a couple different holes to put the lock pin through so you can control how far from the rear bumper the rack sticks out. When we're doing a long highway trip, we push the rack in as far as it'll go and, even though it's only about another inch, it seems to really shelter the bikes from nearly any wind at all. The downside is that there's not enough clearance to fold the rack up. However, when we're at our destination and not doing much highway driving, we move the hitch out an inch, relock it, and then we're able to put the rack in the stowed position or carry bikes. I don't know if that was an intentional part of their design, but it definitely works. Rock solid rack, but it's light enough that my 90# wife maneuvers it with ease.
Does the Sherpa have a way to tighten the rack in the hitch so that it doesn't wobble back and forth or up and down? That looks like one of the really nice features of the 1Up, that you can tighten the rack securely in the hitch with their tool.
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [Chris Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the Sherpa is easy to tighten in the rack. It comes with an adapter so it fits both 1.25 and 2 inch hitches. In a 2 inch hitch, you can tighten a lever which tightens the hitch. No need for a tool. We've found that if we lift up on the rack slightly then tighten, it works best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triflorida wrote:
Yes, the Sherpa is easy to tighten in the rack. It comes with an adapter so it fits both 1.25 and 2 inch hitches. In a 2 inch hitch, you can tighten a lever which tightens the hitch. No need for a tool. We've found that if we lift up on the rack slightly then tighten, it works best.

Sounds similar to the 1Up. Do you transport a bike with a disc wheel? I'm wondering if the wind would cause a bike with a disc wheel to get blown around more.
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [Chris Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't had my disc on when I've used it. It'll work if you turn the bike around backward and run the ratchet through the front wheel, but I've been too chicken to try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Kuat NV, and have been very pleased with it. The bikes are very secure in it, and nothing moves, even when flying down the interstate on a windy Wyoming day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody out there try the SeaSucker? I bought one and have yet to use it (first time will be this weekend). Took it for a test drive and it was very solid; doesn't leave any marks and is amazingly strong. Interested to know of anyone elses experiences, if any.
Quote Reply

Prev Next