Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Allergy Season is coming your way..
Quote | Reply
Down here in Florida we are at the peak of pollen season.

Every morning I wake up wheezing and coughing. It feels like I am sick every single morning. But, by 10am the symptoms have cleared and I am ready to get in my first workout over lunch.

I used to take Claratin and Nasonex. But three years ago my DR left my insurance network. So I never bothered finding a new DR and thus, no more prescriptions.

I eat a ton of honey, and that has helped a lot. But this time of season always kicks my ass!

Anyone else struggling with pollen season?

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Re: Allergy Season is coming your way.. [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pollen? what pollen? we still have snow to melt. maybe the croci or snow drops will start to show up soon

you don't need an rx for claratin and nasonex causes nose bleeds, for some :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm feeling the same for the last few weeks here in central Florida. I never had problems with allergies, but the last 3-5 years have been kicking my butt. Every year at this time, I get sinus issues and drainage which eventually leads to chest congestion and serious problems breathing. I usually miss a month or two or workouts simply because I'm sick. So far this year, I've avoided anything too serious but I know the pollen season isn't over yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume you are aware that you can get Claritin OTC? No scrip necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: Allergy Season is coming your way.. [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:

I know. But I enjoy being drug free. The honey has helped a lot!

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Warm- World Problems

(to which our neck of the woods has yet to experience and the near future is not looking good either)

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Allergy Season is coming your way.. [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain. I grew up in Maine. We didn't get pollen until mid June!

Allergies are a sign of spring. Since I love spring, it makes the allergies almost a welcome malady. I would hate to have some physical ailment that only came in the winter. That would be miserable!

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea, I'm struggling a bit. I started taking allergy shots last year and that seems to be helping some, but it's still an issue. And there is still snow on the ground. . . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was all happy at the signs of spring and warmth...and then noticed the return of sneezing, runny nose, etc. Boooo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aust1227 wrote:
Down here in Florida we are at the peak of pollen season.

Every morning I wake up wheezing and coughing. It feels like I am sick every single morning. But, by 10am the symptoms have cleared and I am ready to get in my first workout over lunch.

I used to take Claratin and Nasonex. But three years ago my DR left my insurance network. So I never bothered finding a new DR and thus, no more prescriptions.

I eat a ton of honey, and that has helped a lot. But this time of season always kicks my ass!

Anyone else struggling with pollen season?

The following are OTC now:

Allegra
Claritin
Zyrtec
...and their respective (-D) formats

Nasacort (this is OTC as of recently)

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aust1227 wrote:
chriskal wrote:

My fiance complains about not wanting to take drugs because it is not natural and then proceeds to complain about how her allergies are bothering her as a result of not taking said drugs (even when they are prescribed to her from a doctor but has no problem popping some ibuprofen for the occasional hangover or taking vitamin/calcium supplements O_o). After being miserable for a few days (or a week or more) she gets fed up and finally takes something to which she will eventually feel better in the upcoming days. A few days after her symptoms are under control is when decides she doesn't need to take it anymore because she doesn't want to be on artificial drugs if she doesn't have.....repeat viscous cycle for the rest of the allergy season with each time getting more intense symptoms. You can't always will yourself into building a tolerance but she doesn't seem to accept that.

Me, I take prescription allergy pills, nasal spray and do allergy shots. Absolutely no issues in most conditions unless it is really bad (even then it is more a nuisance and isn't a show stopper for me). I have no qualms taking drugs as I've got asthma too and know the consequences first hand of skirting taking my meds. For those who are against the drugs believe what you want but I am not risking my life over others beliefs unless there is actual hard proof/factual evidence to the contrary (learned this firsthand unfortunately).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I was in the peak of pollen season here in the Northeast. We still have a bunch of snow on the ground. I start taking a preemptive daily dosage of claratin (over the counter) starting in late April. It has really seemed to help out.
Quote Reply
Re: Allergy Season is coming your way.. [ericontherocks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You just don't know how hard it is to wake up everyday to 70+'degree weather in northern Cali and have to take a Zyrtec daily then slather in suntan lotion. Darn wind picks up and spreads pollen everywhere. It's hell I tell you.
Quote Reply
Re: Allergy Season is coming your way.. [trytri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trytri3 wrote:
You just don't know how hard it is to wake up everyday to 70+'degree weather in northern Cali and have to take a Zyrtec daily then slather in suntan lotion. Darn wind picks up and spreads pollen everywhere. It's hell I tell you.

Down here in Florida we have to deal with that HORRIFIC odor of orange blossoms wafting through the air.. HORRIBLE. How do we train in conditions like these?

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bring it. I'll take an inch of the yellow dust along with sunny days and warm mornings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aust1227 wrote:
chriskal wrote:

Had to look that up: http://www.webmd.com/...lp-prevent-allergies

-Nope!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aust1227 wrote:

I eat a ton of honey, and that has helped a lot.

Yeah, help make you fat. Honey does not cure allergies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moved to SF a couple years ago and it was a great first year away from the PacNW as my allergies went away. Then the next year it hit me hard and this year has been terrible. It's pretty much year-round now so I'm headed in to the allergist to start shots. At this point I'm taking Zyrtec (24hr), Sudafed(24hr) and Flonase and before every run have to take a puff of an inhaler. Not sure how much the shots will help but I've gotta try something. The worst is that it isn't even seasonal. At least I had Oct - March in the PNW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never had allergies growing up, in a fairly rural area in the UK. Moved to the US (Pennsylvania) in '95 and my fifth summer here, it hit me like a ton of bricks. Tried the honey thing but it didn't work for me, so after trying Claritin and Allegra, now it's Zyrtec every day.
My neighbour's father is German and he told me the same thing happened to him, including the same 5-year timeframe. Apparently honey does work for him, though.

On a related note - do any of the resident medical folks know if increased activity levels play a part in metabolising allergy meds faster? It seems like on days when I train, the effects of the Zyrtec wear off quicker and I sometimes end up having to take a second one in the late afternoon/early evening to ward off itchy eyes and sneezing. Or is it just increased exposure to pollen while training that's causing it? (although it seems to happen on swim days too)
Quote Reply