Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: So, I had 70% of my right lung removed recently... [teekona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teekona wrote:
I'll attempt to not bore anyone too much by giving a condensed version of my last six months, such as I can. I was diagnosed in September with occular melanoma, on my right retina. The treatment was a radioactive implant that I had to have on for five days. A biopsy revealed that it was not melanoma, but rather a secondary carcinoma, meaning that it had come from somewhere else in my body. Subsequent testing revealed a carcinoma in my right lung. The treatment for that was a lobectomy, with the lower and middle lobes of my right lung removed. That surgery was Dec. 3. I missed 10 weeks of work recovering from the surgery, and returned to work on Feb. 10.

I am 56 years old, and have been doing multisport since 1994. The only events I have ever done have been sprint duathlons, generally about 8-10 per year (and yes, I understand where that puts me on the ST totem pole). I started riding my bike on the trainer at the beginning of January and took my first ride outside since Thanksgiving on Jan. 13. It was a momentous occasion for me. Unfortunately, the weather here in the Northeast has kept me on the trainer other than that week. I started running two weeks ago. I'm running for 5 minutes, then walking for three at this point, for a total of 25 minutes, with the intention of slowly increasing that. I can't believe how tired my legs have been, most likely a combination of not running for three months and my diminished lung capacity. I am willing to be patient and take my time. While it is very frustrating to have gone from running 6 days a week (30 mpw) to barely being able to finish the 5 minute run portion of a run/walk, like I told my Wife, I need to focus on what I can do, not what I can't.

The good news is that the cancer in both my eye and my lung is gone, and I don't have to receive chemo, radiation, or any other treatment. I just have to get myself back in shape. Thanks for reading.

Nice. I am a few years ahead of you. Healthy all my life, 3 years ago, they found a 5 cm malignancy in my upper right lobe of my lung and out it came (along with my upper right lobe). I was a runner, and now a triathlete because the doctor said swimming would be good for my lung recovery. I bought a nice Colnago too. So now I squeek / weeze when I really work; my former lung capacity isn't what it used to be. But I am 56 and I feel great, all things considered. And I have some great scars. Dr. Parker, the surgeon here in Denver told me "scars are like tatoos but with better stories."

My surgeon was awesome, but how about that recovery? Fever, stitches, drugs... OMG. Shit that was tough. It sounds like you had a worse diagnosis than me, and 6 months after I was barely back. I'd say 75%. It really took a year until I was 100%. So take it easy, enjoy things and count your lucky stars. You (we) got a chance many don't get.
Quote Reply
Re: So, I had 70% of my right lung removed recently... [Deep Hawaii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a sobering commentary on perspective and relative "issues". Many of us bemoan our lack of improvement for PR's etc. Encountering what you went through changes that perspective considerably. I'm sure right after the surgery, it seemed unreal that you used to do tri's as getting out of bed was a workout. Big Congrats.
Quote Reply
Re: So, I had 70% of my right lung removed recently... [Deep Hawaii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for replying. I have a nice set of 4 one inch scars and one four inch scar at my ribs where it was actually removed. Plus two scars where the chest tubes were. Recovery sucked. I was on Percocet for the pain, which helped, but initially just getting up out of bed was a struggle and I needed my wife's assistance.

Glad to hear you came back and I realize I need to be patient, and also, despite everything I went through, I/we are indeed lucky.

It's 50 degrees and sunny here, I'm putting on shorts and going for a run/walk!

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Re: So, I had 70% of my right lung removed recently... [teekona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, if Lance Armstrong came back from... wait a sec...

No, I kid, I kid. Dude, best of luck to you. Gonna echo what others have been saying: you're a fuckin' inspiration! Cheering ya on all the way :)

Thanks for sharing. Best of wishes with your recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am now a four year lung cancer survivor who had his left upper lobe removed. Did a clinical trial thing after the surgery. I am 59, so we are really close to a match. There are not many of us out there that want to do a tri after diagnosis and treatment. I have found maybe three others that have done triathlon's after lung cancer as a primary cancer. I did a half marathon and two sprint tri's last year and am scheduled to do an Olympic later this year. I was also been diagnosed with melanoma last fall and had a couple surgeries for it, or I'd already have the Olympic in the books - I had the melanoma surgery three weeks before I was to do an Olympic last fall. I was doing 4 miles in the water, 60 to 80 on the bike and 19 to 22 on the run when I had to stop for 10 weeks.

I had never done any multisport competitions before my diagnosis. But, I have lost two sisters and my mother to lung cancer, so it was time to do something to try and make a positive out of what the disease had done to my family.

You can do this. Have faith that you can. It will take time. Let it take time, because any injuries are now a bigger setback than before. You know the mantra, "Its hard, get over it". Now you have to add another mantra - "I can, I am and I will survive cancer."

As a little practical input, my experience is there are no "easy runs". Ever. You don't have enough surface area of lung to feed those big muscles down there. To maintain pace, I find my heart rate is about 6 to 10 beats a minute more than it was before the surgery (I did a little jogging). So, maybe run to a heart rate for a while, no matter if you're running 12 minute or 9 minute (I buy drinks for everybody if I run any real distance in the 11's). It helped me know I wasn't about to fall over and croak at least. Nutrition is absolutely the key and you may need more of it than the average triathlete. I hit the gel about every 30 minutes and hydrate every 15. For long runs, don't let it bother you when an older mall walker going at a good pace is hard to overtake, just set your sights on making the distance, at any pace. Learn an easy swim technique, like Total Immersion and you'll be able to swim well and long breathing every stroke without hyperventilating. I found starting slow and easy on the bike and maybe trying to go from 15 at 15 to 30 at 17 to 19 over a 3 month period was a reasonable goal. Remember, we are also in our fifties my friend. Cheat a little on your first event and pick a protected water area and really flat bike and run courses.

Hope this helps. If you want to know more about my experiences with doing this after lung cancer (what a journey), my workouts or whatever, I am happy to respond. Way to go teekona (I dream of Kona one day too)! Believe. Anything is possible!

AND, way to go spouse of teekona - lung cancer is bigger than any one person and requires faith and the help and support of others to make it through!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on beating cancer, and way to get back out there. Just keep moving forward. Keep up the good work, I'm also "just" a short course duathlate.
Quote Reply
Re: So, I had 70% of my right lung removed recently... [trionone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always glad to hear a story of someone else coming back. I realize that this will be a long road to get back to where I was, and I just need to be patient and keep plugging along. I agree that there are no easy runs at this point. But I am hoping that it will get easier.

Luckily I am a duathlete so I don't have to worry about swimming!

Just as a point of fact, I didn't actually have "lung cancer", as most people think of it. I had a carcinoma in my lung that spread to my eye. Nonetheless, I am missing the upper and middle lobes on the right side, so I still have diminished lung capacity. But I can feel myself getting stronger day by day.

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People like you, the family I have lost and the mates I have nearly lost are what inspire me at 20kms in IM....

Thank you and congrats for keeping on "living" your life....

Regards

Mark.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You rock.
Keep us updated.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are getting stronger everyday. Just like you said, focus on what you can do, not what you cannot do. I say it another way - I try to obsess more about life and less about cancer. It started for me (twice now) with "I can". Put something on your calendar realistic. It'll keep you focused and working. You can do this.
Quote Reply
Re: So, I had 70% of my right lung removed recently... [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Last week I decided that I had had enough of run/walk, so I ran for 15 minutes straight, 4 days. I will do 5 days this week, then gradually increase the durations. Once I get to five 30 minute runs, I plan to start back on the Barry P 1-2-3 six day a week plan, most likely with 15-30-45 minute runs, and go from there. I plan to slowly increase my durations to get to that point.

I also did a 45 minute bike ride on Wednesday, a 70 minute ride on Sat., and a 60 minute ride on Sunday. And did strength training/core work 2x.

My long term goal at this point is to do no racing this year, just slowly take my time to build my endurance back up and find out what I am still capable of. If that all goes well, I plan to get back into racing in the Spring of 2015. If I can't get back to my pre-surgery fitness (which I fully expect to be able to do, over time), I will still continue to ride and run, because I love both of those activities, and look for some other outlet for my competitive streak!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck man, and I will be fascinated to hear of your progress and see if you can get back to your old level, or maybe even beyond!

teekona wrote:
Thanks. Last week I decided that I had had enough of run/walk, so I ran for 15 minutes straight, 4 days. I will do 5 days this week, then gradually increase the durations. Once I get to five 30 minute runs, I plan to start back on the Barry P 1-2-3 six day a week plan, most likely with 15-30-45 minute runs, and go from there. I plan to slowly increase my durations to get to that point.

I also did a 45 minute bike ride on Wednesday, a 70 minute ride on Sat., and a 60 minute ride on Sunday. And did strength training/core work 2x.

My long term goal at this point is to do no racing this year, just slowly take my time to build my endurance back up and find out what I am still capable of. If that all goes well, I plan to get back into racing in the Spring of 2015. If I can't get back to my pre-surgery fitness (which I fully expect to be able to do, over time), I will still continue to ride and run, because I love both of those activities, and look for some other outlet for my competitive streak!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh, why is it always the right lung....

I'm glad that you are on the mend, and hope I can offer something to encourage you on the road ahead.

I've lost all function of my lower right lobe, and have diminished functionality of my middle lobe. In my case it was a bad motor vehicle accident, resulting in (among other things) a flail chest.

After a bunch of hospital/rehab, I eventually went out for my first run. It was depressing. The next one was as well, and the one after that...

This was several years ago now. It is also (amongst other events) two IM's ago.

Be patient with yourself; It will come back to you. Maybe not to quite the same place you were before, but way better than you're thinking right now.

BTW, did they put you in the glass box?
Quote Reply
Re: So, I had 70% of my right lung removed recently... [lakercr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. This is what I need to hear, to help me be patient and think long term.

Glass box? Not sure what you are referring to, but I did sit in a glass phone booth type thing to do my pulmonary function test pre-surgery. The Technician was impressed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, we just never know what life is going to throw at us. Way to get back out there! You will adapt, I have no doubt. I know the feeling of just being happy to be out moving, even if its slow.

I had to go through a similar process as I was diagnosed as a type1 diabetic in August. Before diagnosis I was doing 10-15 hour per week and pretty fast. The sickness slowed me to a crawl BUT at least I was outside moving with the sunshine on my face. Pace didn't matter to me anymore

Keep us posted on your progress

God Bless

"Keep those feet moving!" Me
Quote Reply

Prev Next