Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best Piece of Advice for Beginner Triathlete [CarrieJesse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CarrieJesse wrote:
Yeah... But if you were going to borrow/go with the basics for most equipment, but spend the money on one item, what would it be?

Rent your 1st bike if all possible. Why, if you get hooked, you probably under spent on your 1st bike as you didn't know what you wanted. If you don't get hooked, you probably over spent and now "stuck" with something you don't know how to get rid of with out taking a monetary beating. Once you're ready to buy a bike, go used. Either way, get to know your lbs by name. They'll help you find what's right for you and then when you're ready to move up, they'll be there to assist even more. To some extent, you can do similar when it comes to race wheels as more places are renting them. Last fall was able to rent a Zip 808 FC and Super 9 disc, brand new for $20. Ok, highly unlikely you will be able to match that, but $100-$150 vs $2500+
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say take up golf. It requires a lot less "practice", it's probably cheaper and you can drink beer while you do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't spend all your money on equipment....budget in the race fees. It's not like registering for a 10K.

CarrieJesse wrote:
If someone who's never done a triathlon before asked you for advice about getting into the sport, what would you tell them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are the sponsored snarkers? Do they take Wednesdays off from ST?

A whole day has gone by and this thread hasn't yet slashed the OP with lacerating sarcasm? What a stunning upset by the bright-eyed, earnest soldiers of Positivity.

I have had a TERRIBLE day, and it ends in bitter disappointment.

CarrieJesse, you must be really hot.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Best Piece of Advice for Beginner Triathlete [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Learn to swim before you go.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Piece of Advice for Beginner Triathlete [bornaero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bornaero wrote:
Go find your wallet.

Go find you wallet.
Take all your money out - throw it away.
Go for a nice, enjoyable run…….

Quote | Reply
timeforacompact wrote:
bornaero wrote:
Go find your wallet.

Go find you wallet.
Take all your money out - throw it away.
Go for a nice, enjoyable run…….

To this effect, I would probably say don't get into it. Seriously.

I enjoy myself in the sport, but the sport generates a viscous cycle of n+1, with n standing for either equipment or performance. The n+1 cycle is inescapable as it is an inherent trait of competitive people - the type of people who get into triathlon in the first place.

It consumes your time, it drains your money, and you can realistically have "good enough" fitness by casual running and cycling.

Knowing what I know now… I would not have gotten into it.

You've been warned.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Piece of Advice for Beginner Triathlete [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scofflaw wrote:
CarrieJesse, you must be really hot.

Since you seem frustrated, here she is via her website:

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dont read Slowtwitch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I totally disagree with most of what has been said in this thread. It's mostly accurate and may be good advice, but half of it would just drive people away. I'd say sign up for a local sprint a month or two away, borrow a bike (or ride the one you have), swim until you can swim twice the distance of the race without hanging on the wall, and go have fun. I would also tell them that even if they ride a mountain bike and walk half the run, they probably won't be last. Then I would tell them that if they enjoyed it, read the rest of this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
www.beginnertriathlete.com

Nothing against this website, use it too. Just saying, there's a lot of info for the beginner triathlete and the atmosphere is less intense.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take up tennis.
triathlon will ruin your wallet, your relationship, your career and your body.
other than that it's awesome

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Best Piece of Advice for Beginner Triathlete [bornaero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bornaero wrote:
Go find your wallet.

...and ask your boss for a raise

In reality, borrow a bike or even buy a cheap bike from Walmart. Start swimming and learn how to be comfortable in open water. If you start to enjoy to sport, then dig deeper into your wallet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you need to ask us?

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Piece of Advice for Beginner Triathlete [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I coach a lot of beginners who are scared of the swim. I asked out of curiosity; sometimes I feel like I have tunnel vision thinking that the swim is the most important thing to conquer when you're just starting tris.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. I participated in tri's for 5 years as a relay participant - cyclist & team organizer. I was too afraid to get into the water till 2012. It is still the part that terrifies me the most and contributes the most to my family avoiding me the day before race day.

l I'd say the best advice for new non-previous-competitive-swimmer triathletes is learn to swim; echoing other posters above as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One need not pay to race into to be a triathlete.
Doing and finishing an Ironman or iron-distance race should not be the biggest accomplishment in ones life.
Do not make a long distance race your first paid triathlon, especially if you cannot swim or ride a bike.
Worry about yourself and do not compare yourself to others.
Do not get the best gear on the market just because others have it or there has been "talk" about it on Slowtwitch.
Always have fun and stop when burned out.
Do not talk about rates, times and watts to others. No one cares about that shit!

Quote | Reply
Jimmycool wrote:
Just have fun. Remember lifes too short to have unnecessary drama. Also, look to find success in the process not the finish line.

This is a great one
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Comming from someone who has been doing tri's since the 90's
I would say there is nothing more important then finding the right people for you to train with.
Try Tri. clubs, Master programs, different group rides and group runs, Look for compatibility.

Training partners should be close to your level or slightly better.
You should be able to relate to them (you will spend a lot of time together).
You should be able to count on them for consistently, living close to places you train helps.
If you do this right, the training will be enjoyable, this will get you out more to train harder.

I have life time friends from picking wisely and met my wife through these friends.
It is also awesome sharing race experiences with your training buddies.

Enjoy this amazing sport!
Quote Reply

Prev Next