Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New professional triathlete? Anyone know the deal?
Quote | Reply
http://www.angeladurazo.com

I thought she might have once been in San Diego when I was there. Where did she qualify for her pro card? Athlinks is pissing me off lately.

Quote | Reply
O. M. G. An actress/model/rheumatoid arthritis/triathlete! The rarest of birds...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Post deleted by colinlaughery [ In reply to ]
Re: New professional triathlete? Anyone know the deal? [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: New professional triathlete? Anyone know the deal? [irontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is aspiring fitness model. Good luck to her.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: New professional triathlete? Anyone know the deal? [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know it's not all about Facebook likes, but she's got nearly 21,000 "likes" on facebook... about 5,000 more than the Raelert brothers, about 11,000 more than Freddie Van Lierde, and over 12,000 more than Sebastian Kienle. She is a bit behind Leanda and Rinny though as they have 21,XXX so I guess she's in line with them two.

Not bad, actually. Whether or not she's got an elite card, it looks like she's found a way to make money off racing triathlon.

Oh, and Cam... I think Athlinks has been a pain ever since they went to that new format.
Quote Reply
Re: New professional triathlete? Anyone know the deal? [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I say screw that. If you rarely podium for your age group, you're not a professional triathlete. Sorry, she can be triathlete, model, etc; but leave out the "professional" when it comes to tri.

People with their elite card who don't make much money racing get shit here on slowtwitch that I think is unfair, but this is a different deck of cards in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: New professional triathlete? Anyone know the deal? [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear what you're saying... and I don't know her story or her results, but it seems like when it comes to the actual definition of "professional" which according to the dictionary is: "(of a person) engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as pastime", maybe she's got an argument. Whether you or I agree with it or not.

As for having an "elite card" which is what really fast people have (they don't call it a pro card), she doesn't have one.
Quote Reply
Re: New professional triathlete? Anyone know the deal? [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a reason unbeknownst to me I was compelled to read her "About Me" section. The write-up exaggerates on pretty much every single topic. I would say she's marketing herself and not telling the whole truth. She may be defining pro as doing it as one of her numerous "careers" but I highly doubt she actually has a pro card.

Either way, as another poster noted... She's very attractive so who really cares :)
Quote Reply
Re: New professional triathlete? Anyone know the deal? [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan. She's very pretty.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: New professional triathlete? Anyone know the deal? [irontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good for her...her website mentions "aspiring" professional triathlete multiple times, the press tends to exaggerate in these cases. Good luck to her!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
more model and less triathlete than actual pros who model. Very pretty but it sounds like she had her modelling career derailed just as it was really getting started. That said, everything on there seems to be some kind of exaggeration except the race results. Her story about her obstacles sure those arent fun things, but "triumph over tragedy" is a bit much. But a lot of young 20 something women are full of drama so thats not a surprise. She's definitely gorgeous though. could see her getting lots of opportunities in triathlon print work if she gets some more race results.
Quote Reply
Re: New professional triathlete? Anyone know the deal? [ShortswimFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shes' MOPish. Nothing particularly impressive about her time at Superseal. She did the shorter sprint race and finished 8th in 25-29. 5k time was 31'.

I guess for some folks you're a "professional" if it's what you do full time, even if you lack the qualifications or ability. That's very typical of some on the West Coast that are involved or aspire to be in the entertainment business.

On the positive, she's a good example to many suffering from dabilitating diseases that you don't have to let them get in your way of what you love doing. Fortunate for her, there are some new, excellent treatments for RA, that can manage it very well with limited side effects. I wish her the best, but I think she should be a little more honest and list herself and full time triathlete, not professional. A pro has an elite card that you have to earn. Could she ever get that fast? Not likely, but anything is possible.

It's not suprising that someone pretty can get more attention that an actual professional that's talented and successful in the sport.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: New professional triathlete? Anyone know the deal? [ekrub10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ekrub10 wrote:
Good for her...her website mentions "aspiring" professional triathlete multiple times, the press tends to exaggerate in these cases. Good luck to her!

Aspiring or actual? Pretty sure right in the middle of her home page it says "professional triathlete". What press? Isn't she her own press and doesn't the real press get their info from her? Either way, not seeing any results that would support a pro card qualification. Plus, like Thomas said, doesn't being a "pro" conflict w/ AG Nats?!?!

Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
I guess for some folks you're a "professional" if it's what you do full time, even if someone else is better than you.

There, I fixed it for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I normally am not one to get involved in this sort of thing, but it makes me cringe to see an athlete marketing him/herself with obviously stolen photos. I'm not going to say I've never done it for the occasional Facebook photo, but even that I don't do anymore.
It's another thing entirely when you're using it in a marketing sort of thing, whether that's a Facebook page (rather than personal profile) or a website geared at promoting yourself as a "professional" athlete, regardless of the validity of the use of that term. I know race photos are ridiculously expensive, but if you're monetizing yourself, have some respect for intellectual property. I thought my generation learned that with illegal music downloads.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And this threatens you in what way?

I detect some anguish/envy that this woman has figured out how to incorporate training and triathlon into how she makes a living. Which, based on the other recent thread, a lot of people here would love to do.

But instead of holding her up as a great example of how to do it...we're trying to beat her down?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know the deal but good luck to her!

I can't say no to redheads, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
irontri wrote:

I thought she might have once been in San Diego when I was there. Where did she qualify for her pro card? Athlinks is pissing me off lately.

You have to like a supposed "pro" that had stolen copyrighted pics on her website.

23rd AG: ITU World Championship Series Hamburg: Hamburg, Germany........Unless I'm not finding the correct race, she is not in the results http://wts.triathlon.org/...thlon_hamburg/259643
Last edited by: Burnt Toast: Feb 7, 14 7:22
Quote Reply
Re: New professional triathlete? Anyone know the deal? [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlwaysCurious wrote:
And this threatens you in what way?

I detect some anguish/envy that this woman has figured out how to incorporate training and triathlon into how she makes a living. Which, based on the other recent thread, a lot of people here would love to do.

But instead of holding her up as a great example of how to do it...we're trying to beat her down?

Doesn't threaten me in the slightest. I'm a dude, too old to turn pro, although I legitimately qualified this past year and would never lie or deceive about that info. So I have no dog in this "fight".

If what she markets is truth, good on her. If she's exagerrating or outright being deceitful, don't her sponsors or USAT have a right to know?

Trying to beat her down is a bit dramatic. Afterall, pretty sure over half the posters said she was hot.

Asking for the how's and when's or the facts is just seeking the truth.

Quote | Reply
irontri wrote:

Doesn't threaten me in the slightest. I'm a dude, too old to turn pro, although I legitimately qualified this past year and would never lie or deceive about that info. So I have no dog in this "fight".

If what she markets is truth, good on her. If she's exagerrating or outright being deceitful, don't her sponsors or USAT have a right to know?

Trying to beat her down is a bit dramatic. Afterall, pretty sure over half the posters said she was hot.

Do you honestly think you'd find out the "facts" by starting a ST thread? If so, here's a fact: USAT hasn't copyrighted the term "professional triathlete", so they haven't been wronged by her use of it.

And if her sponsors really care about whether or not she's exaggerating--why is it so important to you to bring it to their attention? Are you suddenly the Crusader for Non-Exaggerative Marketing? Do you comb lava magazine for any instance of Crowie speaking just a little highly of his fuel belt? And then publicly call him out?

If not, then why have you set your sights on this one particular young woman?
Quote Reply
Re: New professional triathlete? Anyone know the deal? [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Burnt Toast wrote:
irontri wrote:

You have to like a supposed "pro" that had stolen copyrighted pics on her website.

23rd AG: ITU World Championship Series Hamburg: Hamburg, Germany........Unless I'm not finding the correct race, she is not in the results http://wts.triathlon.org/...thlon_hamburg/259643

She does say "23rd AG" and those are the Elite women. Were they different races? I didn't find a link to the AG results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndresLD wrote:
I hear what you're saying... and I don't know her story or her results, but it seems like when it comes to the actual definition of "professional" which according to the dictionary is: "(of a person) engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as pastime", maybe she's got an argument. Whether you or I agree with it or not.

As for having an "elite card" which is what really fast people have (they don't call it a pro card), she doesn't have one.

I think you're right on the money. If you get paid to do something, then you're a pro. Results don't really matter or come into play in this scenario.

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Re: New professional triathlete? Anyone know the deal? [ShortswimFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She's no Jenny Fletcher or Laurel Wassner but she's not too shabby
Last edited by: tb1000: Feb 7, 14 11:50
Quote Reply
Re: New professional triathlete? Anyone know the deal? [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlwaysCurious wrote:
irontri wrote:

Do you honestly think you'd find out the "facts" by starting a ST thread? If so, here's a fact: USAT hasn't copyrighted the term "professional triathlete", so they haven't been wronged by her use of it.

And if her sponsors really care about whether or not she's exaggerating--why is it so important to you to bring it to their attention? Are you suddenly the Crusader for Non-Exaggerative Marketing? Do you comb lava magazine for any instance of Crowie speaking just a little highly of his fuel belt? And then publicly call him out?

If not, then why have you set your sights on this one particular young woman?

Um, pretty sure Crowie IS a pro. That's credibilty right there for nearly anything he markets or promotes.

Did you ever think her sponsors might have been deceived by her false pretenses? I don't know, just a possibility. Did Pearl Izumi "sponsor" (term used loosely as that's even unconfirmed) b/c of her results, her being a pro triathlete, or her "good looks" (also debatable).

Not singling her out, just one that I discovered. I'd do the same for anyone else I learned about that seems questionable. I run across a TON of protenders in the triathlon world who claim to be "sponsored" themselves, even if it's really their team or shop that's sponsored. This is a 1st though, that I've seen: a pro who may not be a pro or at least I/we cannot find results to back it up.

Guess you don't care about the truth. That's your business.

Last edited by: irontri: Feb 7, 14 8:12
Quote Reply

Prev Next