Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bone Island Triathlone reveiw
Quote | Reply

I have been struggling with how to put into words the Triathlon at Bone Island. I guess maybe by all the reviews I have seen thus far, I am spoiled doing 3 Disciplines events here in Michigan. This was supposed to be an awesome event, rivaling that of Ironman, well not even close.

It started with packet pick up (PPU) and the event expo, well if you can call it that. The website boasted vendors and gear, nutrition and the like. What it ended up being is PPU and Bone Island Tri gear, and 1 or 2 other people. I was hoping for much more and expected such. Then I gave the ultimate test to those working the PPU I asked a question, when is the mandatory meeting? Response…We don’t know!! Nobody there even knew about it, NO ONE! I knew there was trouble at that point, but still had high hopes.

Bike drop off, yeah that went smooth, but didn’t have to show my wrist band or anything to get in and out of transition. They did have what appeared to be high school aged children there every 20 feet or so to watch the bikes when we left them.

Race morning! Parked near transition and walked over, body marking was good but there was nothing happening there in transition. They had flood lights there but none were on, no music no announcing no nothing. Everyone just kind of standing around waiting for the ‘walk to the beach’. No one was there to say where or when to go so everyone just started walking. Okay, the race doesn’t start here, the fun must be 1 mile away at the swim start, so off we go.

Arrival at swim start to see a friend start the full distance. Still no music, no announcement, wait…welcome to BIT comes over the loud speaker, National anthem plays, direction is given, start in 90 seconds, then nothing…….the horn blows! This was the same for the half athletes as well, oh and I forgot the start was, in the water, about where the rocks stop, or maybe the first buoy, not sure. As I am trying to see the course, I notice that is still being set as the full swimmers are making the turn, wow, how do you double check distance with swimmers on the course already? That might be why a lot of people said it was long and swim times were on average longer than normal.

Anyway, I started and made the first turn, looked for the next buoy….there it is about a quarter mile away and dark green, not easy to see at all. There should have been twice as many, at least! Then the final turn into the pier, marked with 2 red things hanging down on the pilings, not sure what they were, but apparently after multiple stops trying to find where to cross under, a guy started waving from atop the pier. I found it! Got out and headed to the fresh water showers! Wait, no those consisted of one woman with a garden hose giving you a squirt in the chest as you went by, yes a squirt! While in transition I remember thinking that I hope everyone made it out of the water! That was a big distance with few lifeguards, I remember seeing one on a paddle board, and a few in boats but outside the course. No one there for emergency support. Not to mention they had no idea how many swimmers there were, we didn’t get counted in or out, scary!!

Begin the bike, this is my best part of the race! Volunteers were great in their direction and the police did a great job. Problem is what can you do with roads that are in horrible shape and have debris all over them? I have to say that of all the tri’s I have done I have never been so afraid of death during the entire bike. Riding on a 16 inch shoulder trying to pass people while busses and semis are whipping by at 55 mph sucking you into their draft. Then racing through town passing stopped cars on the left and right, dodging mirrors and doors trying not to hit the curb or jump off the shoulder. All this not to mention the Gong Show at the turn around!! Holy crap, nobody knew what was happening there!

The stress of the ride took its toll on me, now it was just about finishing while standing. The run was nice, but the fact that we did 2 and a half loops was puzzling. We could have just done 2 loops if they moved the turnaround into the full course a little further. We got a wrist band for the first 2 loops but the half loop there was nothing. Many people that I talked to at the finish said they didn’t even know they had to do another half loop or that they just cut it short because there was no way to know if they did it or not.

Anyway, I did the last half loop and finished! I grabbed a water and walked around a bit, in the athlete’s area…no wait, everyone is here! Transition is full of people getting their gear and talking, standing in the path of the full racers still to come in. Blocking the way to the special needs bags was the spectators. This is the best part, the crowd is helping themselves to all the food and drink for the athletes! All that was left when I got there was cold pizza that had been sitting for how long? And picked through be how many? I stood and watched as the homeless drunks made their way from the shade trees on the beach, to the pizza boxes, loaded up with pizza and grabbed a pop or two then headed back to the shade!

Okay, I can accept the fact that the island conditions are out of the hands of event organizers, but this is really gone way beyond the limit of bad events! One last thing to redeem the trip, the after party!!!

I take this failure personally, because this was sold to us as the ‘best after party around’!! I traveled with a group of athletes from Michigan and was told by Staff from BIT, that this would be awesome!! So the entire crew gathered and went to the beech to enjoy the festivities at 5pm the day after. We got there and saw other athletes just kind of milling around. Then at 5:05 a guy got out of a truck carrying a box, it was the awards. He started to unload and we waited a few minutes then I asked him if this was the after party, he said “yeah, we are going to try to get some beers brought out here”. Are you fricking kidding me!!!

BIT wanted reviews, I can’t even imagine where these good ones are coming from, after more than 50 tri’s this had to be the worst for safety, information passed to the competitors, and all around organization. I am embarrassed that I tried to sell more of my friends on going to do this race. And I feel for those that had to pay full price for this event. This was not up to the standard or even close to that of Set Up or 3Dicsiplinces.

This venue could be awesome, if organized the way that Set Up is known for! I’m sorry that I have such a strong opinion but I was hoping that I could do this race and deem it doable for 2015 with my daughter in tow. Not even close!!

Rick

Quote Reply
Re: Bone Island Triathlone reveiw [rvanbeeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced the 1/2 and was definitely not impressed. I expeted much better from a SetUp events race and especially consudering how they talked BIT up as being such an awesome race. The "expo" was nothing. I'm fune with a minimal packet pick up but don't advertise it as an expo.

They screwed the pooch on a couple of basics for the actual race. First, transition was set up so some athletes had to run in and to one end for theur rack then back out the other end whike some were able to fliw durectly frim the swim-in to their rack and continue out. Iwas literally on the last rack and had to run about 200m extra at bith T1 and T2. It's pretty standard to put the in and out at opposite ends so everyone has rougrougly the same distance to travel through transitions. Second, the swimcourse was definitely long by a significant distance. The winner swM 30min and one of my friendswho is easily a 26-28min swimmer went 33min. A friends Garmin measured 1.6 miles and I mapped it out online using a perfectly straight course and came up at 1.4 miles. I realize everyone swam the same course but come on - several hundred meters long?

Personally I didn't have any issues with the bike course. There were a few patches of rough road but nothing unusual. I was riding up in the top 5 so I didn't get stuck at the turn-around. I have no idea how they would avoid that issue in the future though. Maybe formally deducting that stopped time from everyone's final time. When I cam back to Key West I could tell that was going yo be a complete cluster fuck once people started flowing through heavy along with the vehicle traffic. I made it through super smooth but I don't know how it worked out for everyone else. I realize some of this is simply limitations of the location but if you can't provide a safe high quality experience then maybe Key West simply isn't an appropriate place for longer races like this.

The run was pretty meh. There was no way to track if people actually went all the way out and around the platfirm at the endof the pier - just a bunch of cones you were supposed to loop around. I didn't even realize when I passed the first aid station because it was just a food truck looking vendor parked at the beach with some tourists standing around. As I passed someone noticed and asked me if I wanted anything - too late. I've never been to a race where they handed out full bottles of water on the run course. Whike I appreciated having 16oz of water to drink and dump on my head I assume that's why they ran out of water so quickly - from what I heard from friends running further back. At one point I guess they started scooping cups of water out of the buckets from the ice that all the bottles were chilled in. Personally, I don't want to drink water that essentially washed off hundreds of bittles and everyone's hands tgat reached into the bucket.

We brought a group of 15-20 down from Virginua Beach and grabbed a bunch if awards - both male and female masters champions, a handful of age group awards, and a relay award. We all generally had fun but agreed that we'd never seriously consider doing this race again, especually considering they are moving it into the summer.
Last edited by: TH3_FRB: Feb 5, 14 12:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't this the race that the RD initially cancelled but reinstated after the blow back?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Bone Island Triathlone reveiw [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes - they canceled the full but eventually compromised the quality of the event to accomodate the 80 athletes registered for the full. They changed the run course that was supposed to be 2 loops (for the half) then head downtown for the finish. Instead they decided to save $ by cutting downtown out completely and having us do another partial loop and finish at the transition area. In doing that they made the course cross over itself where you looped around transition to head back out. Anyone heading for the finush line had to cut across those heading back out. Plus, it wasn't until an hour after I fi ished that they decided some signs might be a good idea to help people know where they were supposed to go.

I assume they wanted to cancel the full because they didn't have the resources to keep the course into downtown open all night so they eliminated that part and cobbled together a revised course and new finish line that kept everything more compact.

Finally, like mentioned above, the last partial loop didn't have any way to confirm people actually went all the way there and there wasn't even so much as an orange cone marking the spot where you flipped back to the finish. Just a guy standing around if you knew where to look for him.
desert dude wrote:
Isn't this the race that the RD initially cancelled but reinstated after the blow back?
Last edited by: TH3_FRB: Feb 5, 14 12:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll post too.. I had similar experiences. It wasn't good.. But, it was Key west in January. And my wife and I were not expecting much based on the reviews of last year. I agree with all your comments..

I think the race director has a terrible lack of credibility. My list of grievances are as follows.

1) Oversold Expo, Finish line experience, and beach party
2) Made a mess of the "modest cash purse".. This changed three or four times. Was cash even awarded to top three? I was fourth (back door brag) in the HIM.
3) The whole debacle with the full being cancelled, then back on.
4) Course changes up until the last minute (and you OP said.. Why not just two loops?!?)
5) Next years date. In July?!?!? Why even bother
6) Early info was that the turnaround would be timed and deducted.. I wasn't stopped, but my wife spent 6 minutes there, and it wasn't accounted for.

There is very little value in this race. I paid $200.. What exactly did I pay for? This event reflects badly on Set-Up inc and Bone Island Triathlon.

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Re: Bone Island Triathlone reveiw [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done literally dozens of SetUp Events races and this one definitely is not reflective of their typical quality. I expected a mini version of B2B but what we got was simply poor planning, execution, and lack of attention to detail. This is unfortunately the red headed stepchild if the SetUp Events portfolio. I bet this event us completely dead next year without a major overhaul.
Last edited by: TH3_FRB: Feb 5, 14 12:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was wondering how long it would take for a thread like this to pop up on here. I kind of went back and forth with whoever runs the BIT Facebook page about my experience at the event (I raced the half), my complaints were pretty similar to yours.

Biggest issues for me:

• Swim was 1.42 miles according to my Garmin
• Bike was 55 miles
• Bike turnaround aid station was maybe 10-20 yards off of the road, no one on the edge of the road handing water so I completely missed it
• I nearly got killed by a motorhome that sucked me into its draft
• When I was starting my 3rd loop, or mini loop of the run, the aid station right at transition was out of water and Heed, all they had was Coke. Seriously?
• 2.5 loop run, with no timing mats or accountability for the last 2 miles of the run. Hell, no one even checked my wrist bands when I finished so I could've only done one loop if I wanted
• When I finished, the finish line refreshment station was completely out of water as well. Seriously?

If you want to fully understand why the race is so poorly ran, take a look at their Facebook page. The wife of a guy who was injured on the bike and transported to the hospital by ambulance started a post on their page. No one from Setup or BIT had contacted them until they made mention of it on their Facebook. It hadn't been reported to USAT or anything (her complaint, I'm assuming this is protocol?).

Here is their response to my complaints as well... Kind of scary.

BoneIslandTri Thanks for your comments! There are probably a few details you are not aware of on the swim distance such as the fact that you started out in the water over .1 mi on a course that is GPS checked and marked at 1.3 miles. Of course nobody swims a straight line so we will shorten for next year. On the grass -believe it or not there was no grass in the morning when we laid the course signs and marked and a crew (despite the DOT permit and notifications to all contractors) came out and laid the grass sod between 4am when we put everything up and when the first cyclist arrived there… You can't catch everything I guess. As for the water - I'm disappointed about that but it was only a very short period at one aid station and caused by some unforeseen traffic that held up the truck. Again, appreciate all of your comments and we will do our best to improve all of these things in the future!
Quote Reply
Re: Bone Island Triathlone reveiw [wvmountaineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't care how "safe" it can seem, but when you race in an area that has 1 and only 1 road in/out, your sorta going to run into some potential hazards on the bike. I lived down there in KW for a while, and rode on US-1, 1 freaking time before I said screw it. I would take my trainer to the board walk and just do sessions there, or on the loop around Stock Island by the golf course (come back along the bike path beside US-1).

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something else I just remembered - there were no course marshals for this event. It's not unusual to not see any but they are usually out there somewhere. After the race I was told they simply don't have any. That seems clearly to be a cost-cutting measure to me. Safety concerns aside, I paid for a professionally manager race and expected a certain level of standard management, especially considering how much they talk up this event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was there too, I did the full and it was worse for us. Got turned around and did an extra 5 miles on the bike because there were no volunteers at a critical turning point that was marked very poorly. Flatted on the extra 5 miles too, which really made me happy. Not.

Very disappointed in the organization. Loved the venue and volunteers. The volunteers rivalled any other race I've been to.

Still waiting for awards for the full, which I had to fill out a form for and they state I will have to pay shipping because they didn't bother to have them made for the day of the race. Really? Are you that cheap? Awards are inexpensive.

I won't be back unless a reputable race company takes control of this race.

Kirk Wick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It wasn't the Olympics or..? I had a fantastic day, nice and sunny.. Pre-season - what more to ask for?
Quote Reply
Re: Bone Island Triathlone reveiw [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
Something else I just remembered - there were no course marshals for this event. It's not unusual to not see any but they are usually out there somewhere. After the race I was told they simply don't have any. That seems clearly to be a cost-cutting measure to me. Safety concerns aside, I paid for a professionally manager race and expected a certain level of standard management, especially considering how much they talk up this event.

Now that I think about it, since I was at the first turn on the bike I saw the entire procession of the race, from the police motos, event company's van, and the racers. Nobody else on motos except for the cops that I recall.
I agree that a $250+ race you'd like to at least see one. Smaller races of 200 people, I'm kind of ok with it, but this was a bit more of a production for everybody who raced, seeing as that almost everybody was from at least as far as Miami.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: Bone Island Triathlone reveiw [JakobH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JakobH wrote:
It wasn't the Olympics or..? I had a fantastic day, nice and sunny.. Pre-season - what more to ask for?

The race director and sponsors have an obligation to live up to their advertisements. In many cases they did not.

My wife and I had a blast. We loved the experience.. BUT, that does not mean it was a well run race! There are many valid points of contention in this thread. The RD is not relieved of his obligation just because we had a good time!

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Re: Bone Island Triathlone reveiw [kwick65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kwick65 wrote:

That was probably the biggest surprise for me because SetUp Events is a very good company with probably over 100 races annually up in the MD through SC region. BIT is not representative of what I have ever experienced fr om them.
Quote Reply
Re: Bone Island Triathlone reveiw [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
kwick65 wrote:

That was probably the biggest surprise for me because SetUp Events is a very good company with probably over 100 races annually up in the MD through SC region. BIT is not representative of what I have ever experienced fr om them.

Here's the confusing part: this wasn't quite a standard Set Up race the way the Virginia Triathlon Series races are or anything like that. I remember it came up in another thread, but this is more like a leasing, logistics, and timing thing than a pure ownership and operation by Set Up. Unfortunately, it still looks bad for Set Up as your average person isn't going to delineate based on how involved with a race a particular company was

Quote Reply
Re: Bone Island Triathlone reveiw [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iank wrote:
Unfortunately, it still looks bad for Set Up as your average person isn't going to delineate based on how involved with a race a particular company was

You are giving the average person too much credit. Few of them tie a race to a given brand, especially if it isnt one shoved down their throats. If they didn't have a good time they won't do BIT again, but most likely will not associate it with set-up. If they did this one because Set-Up was involved, they obviously know it wasn't up to par with everything else they do.

That's too bad about the downfall of BIT. I know the women's winner from 2013 and she said it had hang-ups, but recommended it. Know a couple more patrons of my store that went down this year. Was looking forward to their reports. Now, not so much.
Quote Reply
Re: Bone Island Triathlone reveiw [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have a valid point that most people who know Set Up know this is atypical. However, if somebody didn't know that, they may have had a negative experience at BIT, figure out it was Set Up, then (falsely) conclude that BIT was representative of Set Up races and avoid them in the future.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I had a much different race than you did. I had to show my wrist band every time I entered transition. And when I left with my bike they matched me up to it. I also thought the swim was marked fine. The triangles were day glo green and yellow. You could probably see them from space. Not dark green. There was music and announcements the whole time on the beach before the 1/2 swim. Don't know what beach you were on. Plenty of kayaks by me on the swim too.Regarding the bike course: The course was posted on their website for over a year. Where did you think we were going to bike? There were few hairy spots but nothing I would consider "unsafe". I knew I would be riding on the road with traffic so I was a little extra careful at times. We jumped on the bike path on the way out and it was smooth as silk. Not a problem for me. I've done over 50 tris and I really enjoyed this one. I see that you just joined ST to post about the race. That's cool but maybe you should stay mainstream for a more predictable experience next time. Sounds like Key West was not your kind of place. I loved it and I'm going back next year. They just announced they are having it in January next year, not during the summer. It was an awesome party for us!
Quote Reply
Re: Bone Island Triathlone reveiw [jime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I suggested the OP post his review here because he originally posted it to the BIT page and it was oromptly removed. Seems they aren't interested in an honest review of someone's experience. If you found this event to be in line with your experience in your other 50 races then you are definitely missing out on ahow a professionally managed race should be run. Again, this was definitely atypical of the SetUp events races I've done so I'm not here trying to give them a bad reputation. Hopefully they will get this event straight or cut ties.

jime wrote:
I've done over 50 tris and I really enjoyed this one. I see that you just joined ST to post about the race. That's cool but maybe you should stay mainstream for a more predictable experience next time. Sounds like Key West was not your kind of place.
Quote Reply
Re: Bone Island Triathlone reveiw [jime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I did just join to post my opinion on the race , because of the frustration of no one listening. I review races all the time for nearly 10k followers. None as detailed as this, because none have been as disorganized and poorly run as this one. I'm glad you had a good time and all went we for you, I again, had a much different experience.

I guess what it partly boils down to is that the marketing department did their job and got me to go.

As far as the course, the swim..opinions very. When your used to quality and safety , that is what you expect, not here!

Yes, I studied the bike course online, but they can't tell you what the traffic and road conditions are like. One quick question, I can't find anywhere on the map where the bike course jumps to a trail system? If you take that, wouldn't that be an automatic DQ? I didn't know that the mapped courses were merrily suggestions.

Funny you say I should stay more 'main steam ' I don't quite follow what you mean there? I to have done over 50 tris in 4 years, seeing as we are qualifying ourselves. Could you explain that please?

How much more mainstream is an event by Set Up? Can you understand the disappointment now?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll admit, it doesn't take much to "get me to go" to Key west in January. I guess I really appreciate somebody trying to have a race there at that time of the year. My kids are grown and my business is slow at that time of year so it works out perfect for me. Like I said I'll be back.

By mainstream I meant LP, Eagleman, and big races like that. I'm not trying for a Kona slot in every race I do so I can take it as it is and still enjoy the hell of it. Which is exactly what I did in Key West.

Stick around, we need more expert insight on here.

Welcome to Slowtwitch.
Quote Reply
Re: Bone Island Triathlone review [rvanbeeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Here goes with my first Race Report Bone Island Tri, Half Iron, Jan 23rd, 2014

Whew. I was unsure whether to post my experience at Bone Island. Finally a real post by Ryan, and I realized that I wasn't crazy.

This was my first HIM, and thus I didn't have too much (anything) to compare, experience wise. I really didn't want to be a complainer. But come on! 18 months ago, I couldn't swim two laps. Now I'm pumped for my first half iron. Can't wait to launch from the beach. And the swim course turns out to be 1.6M! Ok, I didn't swim in a perfect straight line, so let's give back one tenth of a mile and say 1.5M. But that still is wrong. The administration of this race was not professional. I was told that a buoy may have moved because of the wind. Maybe I'm a newbie, so please let me know if I'm reacting too harshly here. But coming out of the water 14 minutes slower than I expected put a negative spin on this race for me. Of course, I didn't know that I had swam .4 miles too far at that point.

But let me back up a bit.

My family, 3 little boys 8, 5 and 3 years old, and my wife Kristjana traveled to Key West on 1/23/2014. We flew to Ft. Lauderdale and drove the 184 miles. Not sure I would do that drive again, but it gave me an early indicator of traffic I would experience on the bike on race day!

I am a relative newbie in this world. I did my first sprint in June 2012, plus the Luray Tri 2x (one sprint and one Olympic) for a total 3 triathlons, So I’m about 18 months into this addicting sport.

Prior to Bone Island, I trained for 13 weeks (in the cold), utilizing this plan
http://tampatriteam.files.wordpress.com/...ronman-training1.pdf.

I felt as prepared as I could, without having any previous experience/imaginaiton of a race this distance.

Friday, January 22nd

The pre race meeting expo was small, and I got all checked in around noon Friday. The pre race meeting was a simple and a regurgitation of the race packet. We had noticed the poor road surfaces on US 1 driving in, and there were lots of questions around this. No answers. Too much hype. The word "expo" shouldn't have been used. Very small, and loud during the race meeting.

I drove down the coast to the transition area and found RaceDay Sports. They transported my bike. I met Mark, their President, and there was my bike, my Cannondale CAAD 10. I was very impressed with their service, and I would highly recommend them. My bike came home today (1/31/14).

The transition area was at a gorgeous beach called Higgs Beach, and it took over their parking lot. I noted the swim entrance to transition and the bike and run exit, racked my bike at transition, and was free to enjoy the day with my family. I agree that the entrance and exit's set up helped some and greatly hurt others.

Saturday January 23rd. Race Day

I thought I would have trouble sleeping, but slept great. I was up at 4:30 and took my time getting ready. A cab zoomed me to the transition area just before 6am. I really enjoyed the energy and the banter as everyone prepared. I was pretty proud of my set up, as I have a hard time making my bed! There was about 420 ppl registered for ˝ IM, and around 100 for the full IM. I really enjoyed chatting with new friends from Tampa and Virginia. Where was the music? Where was the announcer? Where was the lighting? Oh, yeah. It was there, but just not on. no announcements so around 7am we began the 1 mile walk up to the swim start. Apparently last year there were buses. The walk did not bother me as the sun was coming up and the morning couldn’t have been more gorgeous. The race start was from Smather’s beach, an absolutely stunning place to watch the sun rise, or to do really anything for that matter. The water was around 67 degrees to match the air temperature.

We arrived at Smathers beach with still 35/40 minutes until the 8am start. My wave was 8:15. In April of 2012, I could barely swim one lap across a 25 meter pool. From a complete beginner, I had been practicing and taking periodic lessons, and had worked very hard on this swim portion. Doing so, I had gained a huge amount of respect for swimmers in the process. I never dreamed that I would be excited to try a 1.2M open water swim. But I was. My goal was to average 2 minutes per 100M. Not fast, but this would have been a huge victory for this beginning swimmer. That would bring me in around 39 minutes.

The water was gorgeous, a bit choppy, and when the horn went off, I decided to enjoy it and began looking for the man of war they had warned us all about! By the time I reached the first bouy, I realized that I’d have to breath towards shore only because of the waves. I I really enjoyed the experience. I felt strong and confident. But as I sighted at what I thought should be the half way point, something felt wrong. Either I was going slower than I thought, or I was off course….. or something.

The last turn bouy headed us back to shore. This was confusing, as the finishing bouy had deflated so we all moved in general direction and I hoped the person in front of me was on target. Wet suit strippers were waiting on the dock. I never thought I’d write “wet suit strippers.” Mine was a young kid. My suit caught on my watch. It added about 90 seconds to my transition, so next time I will solo strip!

They had promised fresh water showers. A lady sprayed me in the crotch with a hose. There was also very few people directing traffic (people). This was a challenge all day.

My watch said I completed the swim in 52 minutes. It wouldn’t be until after the race that I found out the swim was marked and measured incorrectly for the half IM. It was actually 1.6 miles, instead of 1.2M. This was confirmed by dozens of athletes. Is this kind of mistake common? I swam in 1:53/per 100 yards, so I just missed my goal of 2M per 100 Meters. But I was faster than ever before in open water. Overall, very disappointed on the administration here.

A good tranistion onto the bike. I took it easy and followed many experienced triathletes advice about settling in and getting nutrients. Throughout the bike I had 2 bottles of perpetuem, 2 bottles of water, 2 bananas and 2 Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and a big mac. Plus a whole lot of water on my head and chest.

I knew it was coming, and immediately was hit by a 15 mph wind head on! It wasn’t as bad as I thought, and actually felt pretty good for a while.

I’ve admitted my lack of experience, but the bike course was dangerous. US 1 has two foot shoulders on a 2 lane 2 direction highway. The course was littered with gravel. There had been some blacktop paving done recently, which would be good, except that the shoulder was occasionally fully paved and occasionally half paved. Thus the shoulder dropped from 2 feet of black top to 1 foot on and off, which a precarious 2 inches of uneven pavement where your tires were seconds before.

At the 25 mile mark I was next to a Coke truck, a 24 wheeler for about 5 minutes with no room on either side. It was like he was a refueling plane and he was trying to link up with me, we were so neck in neck. The gravel and uneven roads, made one wish for a mountain bike and kept the journey a bit too white knuckle for my liking. There was one awful accident. No word yet on the poor fella who was hit by a motorist. I was warned about the bike course from reading last year’s race report. Post race many riders communicated that they would not be back, specifically because of the bike. Lesson learned.

At the half way mark, riders had police assistance to cross over US 1, but we had to wait. Because of heavy traffic, the police would stop traffic only once in a while. My group of cyclists had to wait 5 minutes to cross (NORMAL???). Again, my first long course, but this seemed odd, as different riders had different delays at the 28 mile mark.

Coming back, I felt like I was flying, as the wind was now at my back. I was able to pass (while praying) a few dozen folks on that narrow highway. I felt strong, but probably pushed too hard the last 20 miles on the bike.

The bike course and surface was promoted as good to excellent. Crappy to OK would be more accurate. From other athletes comments and race reports, this was a precarious course. I’m not sure if Key West has a solution, unless one lane of two lane highway is closed, which is never going to happen.

I completed the bike in 3 hours 10 minutes (including the 5 minute wait to cross the highway), which was just about where I had hoped / expected.

The 2nd transition was .. well stiff. My back was bothering me and I was excited to get going. The run started onto the sand briefly and then onto Atlantic blvd. My back hurt so badly (stiffness from the bike) that I was counting increments in quarter miles praying it would loosen up. It never did loosen, and lower back flexibility is an area I know I’ll need to work on for the next race.

The run was pancake flat indeed, and stayed along the seawall. Stunning! Aqua green/blue water. Wow. We ran around the southern most point of the US, onto a pier….. which was cool… the first 2 times anyway.

But overall, the run was off on your own. No spectators.

The first loop of the run I survived. But with a stiff back, I had a hard time falling into my normal rhythm. I hadn’t experienced this during my brick training. Heat? Hydration? Nutrients? The course was 3 loops, the first two 5.5 miles, and the last, 2.1 mile. Each loop finished right around or at the finish line. This caused more than a bit of confusion, as there was a combination of runners finishing and or looping, all converging on the same small corridor. Complete chaos actually, as many families thought that their loved one had completed the triathlon at super human speed, when they were just getting started. There was no way to identify who was honest, or who wasn't. But I can't imagine training all that time and cheating.

The locals seemed to have no or little idea a triathlon was coming. Most of the run was on a gorgeous seawall in and out of vacationers coming to and from the beach. They were not impediments at all and it was no fault of their own. Just pointing out that there is not much in crowd knowledge or support, not like running through the bronx for the NYC marathon (so I’ve heard).

The last 8 miles were very difficult for me. That’s an understatement. I couldn’t will my body to move as I knew it could/should/had. Even though this was the most painful part of the tri, it was also the part where I learned the most, and became fascinated by sport psychology and preparation. The more exhausted I became, the more I knew there was a solution and wanted another shot at these 8 miles (somewhere in the future).

Even when I thought I was moving quickly, my watch kept sucking my joy by dishing out a garmin of reality. I understand now what ATC panelists and books mean when they say that nutrition is different for every person. I followed a nutrition plan to a T, but now know I will need to adjust. My run came in at 2:29:35, a good 20 minutes off my goal. I set the goal by adding 10 minutes to my only ˝ marathon.

Post Race Tid Bits.

Only pizza and soda when I finished the race. HUH?

They really pumped up the after party, and that was the problem with this race. It was misleading advertising. Keywest was gorgeous. But little of what was promised was delivered.

I needed two full bags of IV fluid after the race. The temperature topped out at about 81°. Forecast predicted 65. The heat, after training in frigid temps, hit me hard I guess. The IV’s…. they went down like drinking water. Thank you to the great med staff in med tent!

Overall, I’m disappointed in myresults . And I’m frustrated that I’m disappointed with the results, as completing what I did Saturday would have been a small miracle 2 years ago. I finished in 6:40:46. I was hoping to come in at around 6:15 (based on nothing but needing a goal). But considering the swim was .4 miles too long, the bike had a 5 minute delay half way, that is about 15-20 minutes right there. So, I guess I was a lot closer than it looks. (On a side note: I’d love feedback on the swim course being off. This isn’t just my opinion. This has been confirmed by my not only my garmin, but dozens of other athletes and race reports. This was a USAT event. Who measures the course? USAT or the local staff?)

I’m looking for another ˝ IM to conquer those last 8 miles, but I would not go back to Bone Island for many of the reasons written above. But even if I wanted to go back, I don't think this race will survive. The location was 10 out of 10, but for my next ˝ I am going to find a more established race, or possibly just look for the IM logo. From what I’ve read and heard from you all, and friends in the Tri subculture, and now experienced, there can be a vast difference in quality of events. Would love opinions here about a good ˝ IM that is family friendly. Family will travel!

The best part about this experience … well was the experience. We learn by doing. And I learned the ins and outs of a ˝ IM and I learned a lot about myself, and what I want to work on moving forward. The distance is no longer daunting. I’ve gone from hating open water, to being excited about the next horn going off. The bike is slowly becoming my friend, and now if I can just learn how to safely eat while riding…. . My unknown is whether I started hitting a wall on the run because of nutrition, hydration, or run training, or a combination of them. I’m leaning towards the nutrition and hydration side, as my run and brick training was strong (albeit in 60 degree colder weather).

Even though the race could have been administered much better, thanks to the awesome volunteers that did their best to make the race day more enjoyable. A thankless job, so THANK YOU!

But most thanks to my beautiful family, … both the training and the travel.

Last edited by: TriSubCulture: Feb 12, 14 11:06
Quote Reply
Re: Bone Island Triathlone reveiw [TriSubCulture] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few things....

On regards to the swim stuff. USAT doesn't have anything to do with the actual measuring of course unless it's a big high level event (IE, Nats, worlds, etc). The RD will apply for a race permit, add the distances of what each leg will be, and that's it from USAT's side. They have zero control if the RD actually measured out correctly/incorrectly.

In regards to the bike course. There wont be anything an venue that races on US1 can do about it's bike course.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bone Island Triathlone review [TriSubCulture] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Well it sounds like we had a very similar experience! Thanks for sharing! I drove from Mid- Michigan for the race, which turned into a very long 3 day drive each way!

As far as your training and nutrition, this being your first long race you will get it worked out. Sounds like you had it all good on the bike, but you didn’t mention anything during the run? Could that be the problem?

There are some great half distance races here in MI during the summer. Lumberman’s June 28, I did that last year, great event but bitter cold for that time of year so the crowds were small. Next is Tawas Tri fest. That is great event in north eastern MI that is always crowded, and the finish is right downtown, where they have seating on the street for the local bars (patrons always are good supporters!). Both courses are beautiful, you can find them at 3disciplines. com.

At least you had a fun trip with the family, that’s what it is all about anyway!

Quote Reply
Re: Bone Island Triathlone review [rvanbeeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryan

Yup. Similar. Thanks for kicking off this thread. Now I know I'm not crazy.

During the run, I stopped at each fueling spot for oranges, bananas, water and heed. I took in as much as I could, but I really need to work it out, and learn more about my body. Not sure if it was hydration, nutrition (another PB&J?) or both!

Thanks again.
Quote Reply

Prev Next