Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 40k TT Challenge [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tetonrider wrote:
jackmott wrote:
The rules are absolutely insane for anyone who isn't short.

My wife's "natural" tt position is 2.2cm more reach than is allowed WITH the exemption, she is 5'10", and keep in mind that is with saddle unnaturally far back at 5cm behind the BB.

yeah, ridiculous indeed, but as i see it TTing (with the regs in place) is about learning to ride in a compromised position (e.g., with ones elbows a bit closer to their knees). learning to hold it is part of the game.

Nope, it's completely arbitrary. Part of the game is no excuse for nonsense like that or the level saddle rule.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 40k TT Challenge [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking of UCI TT regs, Dan indicated awhile back that these were up for review... did nothing happen?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 40k TT Challenge [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that link. Can't figure out why USAC keeps tossing in these climbs for the long course.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 40k TT Challenge [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please post the results. We want to see data. :)
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 40k TT Challenge [AaronT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AaronT wrote:
tetonrider wrote:
jackmott wrote:

My wife's "natural" tt position is 2.2cm more reach than is allowed WITH the exemption, she is 5'10", and keep in mind that is with saddle unnaturally far back at 5cm behind the BB.

yeah, ridiculous indeed, but as i see it TTing (with the regs in place) is about learning to ride in a compromised position (e.g., with ones elbows a bit closer to their knees). learning to hold it is part of the game.

Nope, it's completely arbitrary. Part of the game is no excuse for nonsense like that or the level saddle rule.

by "part of the game" i meant that we all know the rules going in.

i don't like the fact that the rules change (or that they even apply to amateurs), but i also do believe that di2 users were penalized relative to those who used mechanical shifters. the extra paddle length IS functional. for this one -- IMO -- the UCI closed a loophole.

again, i'm on the side of eliminating these regs as they wind up causing stress and costing people money, and that's not really what amateur sport needs.

just my opinion as someone subject to these regs in amateur events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:

I totally agree. I have super long arms (6'6" wing span) and torso, so the 80cm rule really sucks for me, especially with mechanical shifters. If someone super tall were to try to ride within 80cm I think it would actually be dangerous. I keep hoping Shaq will take up TT'ing and then sue the UCI to get the rules changed!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if by functional you mean any weight on them and a small bump and you are in a different gear, then yes, functional. otherwise, not so much
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 40k TT Challenge [AaronT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you in town for the events, or another local? :) hills make those of us "weight challenged" folks suck more
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be in Wednesday and racing the Paracycling races. Normally I'm pretty happy with hills in TTs, being mass challenged, but I'm trying to hit a per/k time standard and these hills, man, I might cut it close.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tetonrider wrote:
by "part of the game" i meant that we all know the rules going in.

ah, well, except there is an odd tendency of that not happening. Such as in 2012 when the seat tilt rule starting being enforced for the first time ever.

Or the middle of this year when the details on shifter paddle reach measurement was revised. Then when you complain about this USAC officials suggest that it is all your fault because you were given notification days before. Oh ok let me order up new less comfortable extensions right away sir.

It really is bizonkers

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shifters was known last fall and even posted on this site. so official was right in that case :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
50:50 at Colorado TT State championships. I am not sure the distance is exactly 40k. I forgot to start my Garmin at the start, so I don't have any data.

The course is pretty flat and I have no complaints about the pavement, but it was pretty darn windy. The last 40% was straight into a 10-15 mph headwind.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 40k TT Challenge [gradiology] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll see you this Saturday. Unfortunately no beer as i got to race uphills the following week and i'm cutrently somewhat zaftig

I'll be on a Scott Plasma in HTC-Columbia livery, basically a bike too fast for my engine. This will be my first 40k, or if y'all are keeping tabs, 23 miler, but the fastest time is 26mph as it's a hilly course, so i think this should qualify ;)
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 40k TT Challenge [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i know for a fact that two people here will be at church creek this weekend. will be bringing some Port City Optimum Wit and some Oberon. in case you guys can't tell, this whole 40k ITT thing is just my excuse to get drunk ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
i know for a fact that two people here will be at church creek this weekend. will be bringing some Port City Optimum Wit and some Oberon. in case you guys can't tell, this whole 40k ITT thing is just my excuse to get drunk ;)

Out for Church Creek next week. But expect to return next June. Hope the rough patch of pavement will have been fixed by then. And I'll have beer to share, too.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 40k TT Challenge [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Congrats to Jsiegs and Gradiology on taking the Caddy and steak knives yesterday.

My own effort is nothing to write home about. Just glad that i was able to at least raise my HR into LT range after not being able to do so leading up to yesterday. Certainly a lot of things to learn and fix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a day at the LAMBRA (Louisiana/Mississippi Bicycle Racing Association) Time Trial Championship today. In my first year as Cat 3, I was really hoping to do a decent TT, and maybe get on the podium (we have a really small Cat 3 field).

We had 5 Cat 3 racers registered. One guy got a flat about 10K in, so I was thinking, "Now, I need to beat ONE guy, I can do that, right??"

LOL, well. I ended up missing the podium by 1 second. It was an absolute sauna/blast furnace out there today.

Finished in 58:12

Averaged 274W (I'm 160 lbs) at 25.5 mph.

It was a flat out-and-back course with a headwind on the way out to the turn, and a tailwind back. I might have pushed too hard trying to keep speed on the way out, but I felt that was the only way for me. I'm not a big power guy, so tailwinds are not so great for me.

I'm okay with the result. But, I have to do better.

As an aside, my brother, who was Cat 5 at the beginning of the year, lost 60 lbs over the last 12 months, won the Cat 4 Championship out of a field of 14 very strong racers with a 59:43 at 300W.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 40k TT Challenge [kmill23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never really tried to break an hour, but since I work from home I decided to try it at lunch today. Ended up 58:35 with a belly full of coffee on a rolling loop.

2010 Felt B14, PI Octane, Giro Air Attack, shitty Planet X wheels.

Internet User
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 40k TT Challenge [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forgot about this thread.

Finally cracked an hour officially way back in June. 57:22, flat out and back, minimal wind. 268 AP.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 40k TT Challenge [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I forgot about this thread as well.

55:20 on 287AP (SRM) for 24.4 miles of flat to slightly rolling with a mix of chip, average, and smooth pavement.

bells and whistles: P5, skin suit, disc/808, good tires and tubes, Selector helmet

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

Congrats to Jsiegs and Gradiology on taking the Caddy and steak knives yesterday.

I've searched.... remind me about caddy and steak knives.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 40k TT Challenge [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Church Creek TT - 58:00, 300np. 25.7 ave. First open TT I have ever done. Happy with my effort- probably could go about thirty seconds faster if tapered. Alu P3, PI Octane, Bontrager D3 90 tubulars with Bontrrager XXX tires.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 40k TT Challenge [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
echappist wrote:

I've searched.... remind me about caddy and steak knives.

From Glengarry Glenross

Four salespeople in an office, two to be retaine based on sales.

First place is a Caddy El Dorado
Second place is a set of steak-knives
Third place, you're fired

Great movie, btw
Quote Reply

Prev Next