Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kickr cadence frustration
Quote | Reply
I have been using my kickr along with trainer road and everything has been working well. However, I recently tried to use the wahoo cadence sensor with my iPhone (i use trainer road on my macbook with an ANT stick) and found that as soon as my cadence goes above around 90, the readings bounce all over the place and are completely inaccurate. Has anyone else had this problem? any suggestions??
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr cadence frustration [fxjeffrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exact same problem though mine craps out above 100.

Personally I just think it is not worth the money and am going to switch to an ANT+ cadence sensor at some point.

Jeffrey Sankoff, MD
TriDoc Coaching/TriDoc Podcast
Train hard, train healthy
http://www.tridocpodcast.com
http://www.tridoccoaching.com
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr cadence frustration [tridoc5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aggravating since I paid for it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got the new RPM sensor that doesn't use a magnet. For the most part it's been pretty steady.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you decide to send it back I'd recommend the Garmin GSC-10. I haven't had any issues with a high cadence when using it with the Kickr and my macbook.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr cadence frustration [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you use ANT+ or Bluetooth?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ant+
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr cadence frustration [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem this morning. It was my first ride on the Kickr. I'm using a laptop with ant+, Trainerroad, and a Garmin cadence sensor. Once my cadence got above 100, the power readings started jumping pretty erratically. Has anyone figured either why it's happening or a fix? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr cadence frustration [jfh1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A couple weeks ago I lost all power and speed readings on my Kickr. I still got cadence readings from my Wahoo Ant+ speed and cadence sensor.

Trainerroad and the Wahoo app "saw" the Kickr, but I still got no power and speed readings. After sending Wahoo a note, they sent me a new sensor for my flywheel. This one had screws that kept to sensor in place better that the previous clips.

Not sure if that's the issue for you, but I wanted to pass it along.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr cadence frustration [Printer86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yowsa I was getting ready to pull the plug and buy one of these for the household but think I will hold off. Thanks to all for the headsup!!

Printer86 wrote:
A couple weeks ago I lost all power and speed readings on my Kickr. I still got cadence readings from my Wahoo Ant+ speed and cadence sensor.

Trainerroad and the Wahoo app "saw" the Kickr, but I still got no power and speed readings. After sending Wahoo a note, they sent me a new sensor for my flywheel. This one had screws that kept to sensor in place better that the previous clips.

Not sure if that's the issue for you, but I wanted to pass it along.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr cadence frustration [xntrickly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure that the current one are coming with the sensor screwed in. I love the product and they were extremely responsive when I contacted them.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What type of workout were you doing with TR? Was it a controlled workout, where TR sends the wattage to the Kickr? If so, were you in the "53/11"? I've seen where you can spin out the photo eye on the unit. if you are in the 53x11 and spinning >110 info gets weird.

If you are not spinning the flywheel that fast, nevermind, I don't know what's up.

Tim

Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr cadence frustration [TimAndrus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I was in ERG mode doing a controlled workout. I was in 52x11, and was spinning at about 100. If I slowed down the cadence to about 98, the power reading became steady, but as soon as I picked it up again to over 100, it jumped around. Do you know of a solution to the problem, or is it just to slow down the cadence?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use my Kickr and my Garmin Speed/Cadence Sensor via Ant+ with Trainerroad . Power readings have been steady up to 130rpms(never pushed it passed this), though I'm never in my 53x11.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have only done 4 rides on it, but found the same issue. When I did my 8 minute test in TrainerRoad, anytime the cadence got over about 110, it went wild - dropping to 0, then to the 60s, then to 130, jumping all around. I found this to be with very fast pedaling with insufficient resistance (made sense since that was my first test, so the FTP was about 30% too low, and resulted in lots of wheel spinning).

I did find doing a spin down calibration helped with a few erratic metrics (mainly power), so maybe try that.

This was with the Wahoo RPM cadence sensor (free with the unit right now) over Bluetooth. I'm waiting for a USB ANT+ stick so I can go back to my Bontrager ANT+ cadence sensor. I turned on my Edge 510 to see what it would pick up from the Bontrager unit, and it was much more realistic.

Overall, though, I'm absolutely loving the KICKR. I do wish TrainerRoad let you customize the stats shown (I want to see speed and distance, and get distance in the results without having to download the file). They said they have no intention of allowing customization of these screens in the section of their site where they discuss future enhancements. Not a deal breaker, but I do wish they showed it.

youtube http://www.newbodi.es/youtube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I noticed a similar higher cadence issue. It seems like anything over 100 RPM the kickr power drops maybe 3-5% below target and stays lower. I am using the garmin cadence sensor and laptop w/ ant+ on trainerroads. As soon as I let the cadence drop to 95 or so, the power picks back up and is much closer to target.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Cadence is a red herring"
- someone famous
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr cadence frustration [mtnrdr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mtnrdr wrote:
I noticed a similar higher cadence issue. It seems like anything over 100 RPM the kickr power drops maybe 3-5% below target and stays lower. I am using the garmin cadence sensor and laptop w/ ant+ on trainerroads. As soon as I let the cadence drop to 95 or so, the power picks back up and is much closer to target.

I have this same issue. When TR looked into it they are getting signal dropouts from the Kickr. Kickr asked me to try it with their program to see if I have the same issue but just haven't yet. In the meantime I'm going to try a bluetooth dongle to see if that fixes the dropouts and lower power at higher cadences.

Also, as a note, Kickr told me that the data transmission is dependent on flywheel speed, so if you are in small chain ring 12 vs big chainring 12 you are getting less data transmitted. Not sure if that's adding to any of this, but I'm using big/12 as my combo now just because of that.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr cadence frustration [agreif] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re: flywheel speed, I'm usually in the 52x16ish range. I don't believe I'm getting dropped power, but just the kickr doesn't seem to pickup resistance when I'm at a higher cadence in order to reach the targeted power. Given constant target power and gear combo, which is true in my case, a higher cadence would give a higher flywheel speed anyways. Not sure if the second point would explain any of this.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr cadence frustration [mtnrdr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, I have the same thing. It doesn't ramp up power when the cadence gets higher. When TR looked at the log files they see this type of data in there between TR and the Kickr. They say this could be contributing to that load not being ramped at high intervals. I had the same thing yesterday, you can see the end of the third interval at the last minute, my cadence had to keep ramping up to hold power when I started to increase my cadence. On one hand the resistance shoudl drop when you have an increased cadence, but you don't want it to keep decreasing. Maybe CT guys have a similar experience and it's just a downside of ERG?

Fri Jan 16 05:12:12 GMT-0600 2015 208||10608||ANT LOG||error||2:Kickr set mode: failed. Retries: 2 shouldReset: false channel: 2||
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr cadence frustration [geauxtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replying to the thread, not you specifically, in hopes the Kickr folks come online and answer a few questions about this.

I've got a Garmin cadence/speed sensor on my bike, it's mounted on the Kickr and I'm using Trainerroad. I'm not using the Garmin head unit. I can get all my other devices to show up on Trainerroad (heart rate, power) but not cadence.

What am I doing wrong?

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr cadence frustration [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharonMcN wrote:
Replying to the thread, not you specifically, in hopes the Kickr folks come online and answer a few questions about this.

I've got a Garmin cadence/speed sensor on my bike, it's mounted on the Kickr and I'm using Trainerroad. I'm not using the Garmin head unit. I can get all my other devices to show up on Trainerroad (heart rate, power) but not cadence.

What am I doing wrong?

So under the device page of the app, your speed/cadence sensor isn't even showing up? Are you by chance using the Kickr with Bluetooth? The Garmin sensor is ANT, so this could potentially be the issue. If you have ANT all set up and it's still not showing, it's probably a battery issue. If you have a Garmin head unit or something similar, try pairing the device to that to check if the battery is working. Keep in mind even a low battery can effect the speed/cadence sensor's ability to transmit signal to TR.

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr cadence frustration [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharonMcN wrote:

What am I doing wrong?

Do you have an ANT+ dongle/stick connected to your computer?

I'm just this guy ya know?
Quote Reply