Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BionX or BionX Supermodel (anyone using either of these supplements?)
Quote | Reply
Curious if anyone has experience using the BionX or BionX Superodel supplements. It is endorsed by Mark Allen and is intriguing. With a $100+ price tag I am not willing to go all in without some feedback first. I haven't seen much in the way of reviews anywhere and hope you guys may have some.

The product page is here...
http://bionx.com/default.aspx

I like the idea of a specific micro nutrient vitamin for athletes, as I am sure the stress load I put on myself is very taxing at times. I also would like to build my aerobic base in a timely manner. I currently only take a regular multivitamin and supplement with Hammer's Recoverite after moderate to extreme workouts.

Thanks for the input.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Re: BionX or BionX Supermodel (anyone using either of these supplements?) [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You already take a multivitamin, which recent studies have shown is probably doing you no benefit. Looking at the ingredients of this, it looks like more of the same. There are some weird 'superfood' type additives with a lot of hype but no good science to back them up.

BTW, the normal one has a 30 day supply in each bottle, while the SUPERMODEL has only half that. Seems like a lot of money for what may ultimately be placebo effect.
Quote Reply
Re: BionX or BionX Supermodel (anyone using either of these supplements?) [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Legal supplements almost uniformly do not work, no matter who is endorsing them. Save your $$ for races.

The exceptions to this rule are carbohydrates during exercise, and caffeine. You can get these at the local supermarket in the form of the sports drink of your choice or a tasty espresso. You may also get some benefit from nitrates (i.e. beets, spinach, etc), particularly if you are not very well trained. The extent to which it will help well trained athletes is arguable, probably in favor of a slight benefit. Nitrate rich vegetables are also available at the supermarket. Pick up a juicer at a department store and you're good to go.

There are lots of supplements that do work, which will also result in a positive drug test because they contain anabolic steroids or methamphetamine or something else equally terrible for you. If it works, it is probably "contaminated" (actually, purposefully spiked) with something illicit.

Cheers,

Phil

Dr. Philip Skiba
Scientific Training for Endurance Athletes now available on Amazon!
Quote Reply
Re: BionX or BionX Supermodel (anyone using either of these supplements?) [Philbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should mention that yes I do fuel with carbs when necessary and use Skratch labs for hydration. My question was more concerning post workout recovery and general maintenance (tendon, ligament, connective tissue). I am not looking for a get fast quick product. I am looking for something that will aid in injury prevention, aerobic function, and general well being. I eat very healthy and likely get most of the nutrients I need. Just wondered if anyone had actually taken these products and what their feelings were, good, bad or indifferent.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear what you are saying, and what you wish for is not unreasonable. Unfortunately, besides eating right, training properly, getting enough sleep, and and managing stress, there isn't anything that will aid in "injury prevention, aerobic function, and general well being." While I was a resident, I had a few patients who have took a supplement claiming to aid recovery, and those patients really felt the supplement were helpful. When their liver function tests went off the wall, we found out why the supplement worked so well. It contained anabolic steroids.

As athletes, we need to simply accept the fact that the supplement industry views us as a cash cow. It continually shovels pills, powders and drinks that have no demonstrable benefit when subjected to scientific scrutiny. Whether or not someone "feels" something works or not is immaterial. The evidence tells a clear story. It's all garbage. Don't fall for it.

Phil

Dr. Philip Skiba
Scientific Training for Endurance Athletes now available on Amazon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can help prevent injury best by not overeaching. Following a good steady progression as you increase training load and allwoing you body time to adapt and by adding some sort of strength training regiment at least early in the season. I don't think supplements make any difference.

A few years ago a 9-10 mile run would pound my knees. Soreness, some swelling, etc. Now I can run 9-12 miles 3 times a week. So what magic supplement am I taking? Nothing. My weekly mileage increased from a consistent 20-30mpw to 40-55mpw.

Nothing beats good training progression and periodization WITH adequate recovery. When I hear that someone gets an injury, I'm usually thinking that they went just a little past their limit with their progression.

Oh and godo gentics and biomechanics help. If you run form is horribly flawed, you'll always be plagued with injury. Blame you parents.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read through the studies listed on the site:

http://bionx.com/download/A_GLOBAL_COLLECTION_OF_BEST_OF_BREED_NUTRITIONAL__BIOLOGICAL_INGREDIENTSv1.4-print.pdf

Getting half way down the site I gave up since not one of them were relevant to the theme of the link "THE BIONX STORY".

Read this:
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/quantum-snake-oil-a-primer/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=quantum-snake-oil-a-primer

I'm not suggesting that it has any relevance to the topic in the thread - it's just a good read.

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Re: BionX or BionX Supermodel (anyone using either of these supplements?) [sub-3-dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate all the responses here. I agree with all of what I am hearing and it falls in line with what I already expected. So far the best precaution to injury I have found is a sound training schedule that spends most of its focus on aerobic zone 2 foundation. Last year I had issues with tendonitis, all of which were caused by over training and upping volume way too quickly. Never decide to enter an event your are not prepared for with too little time to get prepared! Since I have changed my training schedule I no longer feel the effects of over training (run down feeling, injury, and mental fatigue) ... Slow and steady wins the race once again. There is certainly a lot of hype in the cycling world, and fitness in general. Like most of us I want to be as fast as possible... and the usual traps of carbon fiber, better wheels, and the next big thing come along and sweep you off your feet. For me, I just want the motor to be as strong and healthy as possible, and it seems what I am already doing is the best medicine. Cheers.

Jeff

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been a mountain bike racer for twenty years and have used the Bionx products (in their evolution) since 2002, after reading James Autio's "The Digital Mantrap" book.The amount of research cited on the website and especially in the book is immense and irrefutable. If you are looking for moderate results, then by all means go by the average opinions. If, however you read this book, you will realize the shocking level of cooperation and interdependence found in nature and your own genetic function.

My experience with the micronutritional product(s) as well as the training procedures outlined in the book, have turned out exactly as described even though I really only moderately adhered to the programs. Results such as, testing clinically low on insulin due to the significant increase in muscle receptor sensitivity. My physician (fearful of the result) ordered a "fasting plasma" test, which I rode my bike 15 miles to get there! (obviously no problems with the energy systems)

The product name "Super model" doesn't refer to fashion, but to the extremely complicated and interdependent factors necessary to model a broad range micronutrient profile to suit the demands of operating at the high end of genetic potential in both work and play.

I'm quite surprised that no one else reading this has used BionX. I found the earlier product (BionX 1-2) to have the effect of joint protection over the simple RDA plus products that I had used in the past. When the Supermodel product became available, James described his earlier BionX as "like Tinker-toys by comparison". The initial testing and use by myself and professional athletes caused them to have to lower the recommended doses. The most common experience was that during the periods of highest exertion, the sensation was of calm "business as usual" control.

I myself had experimented with medium levels HgH, or "growth hormone" (when it was legal) and find a similar reduction in normal aches and pains with Supermodel II. Also, I have had a significant improvement in symptoms of depression, that drugs only made worse - cognitive function is an underrated aspect in athletics.

Not only does Supermodel II have a broad spectrum of nutrients that are hard to find in even a good diet, but features many expensive and patented sources of the compounds to increase the effectiveness and bio-availability of them.

I take a dose of about $100 a month, and would have to pay twice as much for the nutrients separately, if I could find them. Our "digital age" is more stressful than ever, and the average diet is appallingly short on nutrition. My opinion is that anyone (athlete or not) making more than $100k a year is crazy not to use the BionX Supermodel product to enhance their mental and physical potential. BTW, you could search BionX and Mark Allen (7 time Ironman winner) for another experience.
Quote Reply
Re: BionX or BionX Supermodel (anyone using either of these supplements?) [speed dream] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty old thread to pull up and post your first post on. Clearly a Google search and join situation. Must say I am glad I didn't start dropping 100 bones a month on super pills. But hey if it's working for you then more power to ya.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Seriously, dude?
Quote Reply
Re: BionX or BionX Supermodel (anyone using either of these supplements?) [speed dream] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I wrong?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
warwicke36 wrote:
Am I wrong?

No, that post smells, horribly.

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I can appreciate your cynicism, when twenty or thirty "snake oil" salesman have gotten to you before, I've been there, believe me (I never bother reading the "testimonials" of any product hype). But let me offer a challenge to your commitment to excellence...forget about the product, just as important are the training and dietary recommendations in the book (The Digital Mantrap). James Autio is a brilliant man, and his client list is impressive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brilliance is relative
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it offered in a book on tape format, narrated by Morgan freeman?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Sooo... I guess from your immediate and glib response, I could assume a solid 4.5 commitment? (keep'em coming... this is fun!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is hard to take you 100% seriously with your used car salesman tact. If you spoke with more heart felt integrity and less bravado it would an easier pill to swallow. While I am always open to new ideas I don't usually have much time for people knocking on my door telling me about how Jesus christ saved them either. Not knocking any religion just drawing the parallel that if you have to yell for someone to hear you, the value of your message is weak. Perhaps I have been too hasty in disregarding your post. Perhaps you are 100 percent genuine with no agenda... but in the time I have spent on any forum the golden rule is don't trust the guy who's first post is a 5 paragraph post raving about a product. If I am offending you take it with a grain of salt..it's not my intent. Consider me jaded by the constant barrage of ST advertorials. And you're new here so you probably didn't know I got dropped by my coach mid season and I'm still bitter about it.

Last edited by: warwicke36: Jul 25, 14 11:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Yeah, I virtually never read or post to forums, so I guess I got carried away. I appreciate your feedback on that issue. I was searching for a contact to Bionx, and found the post so I wanted to see if anyone else had experience with it.

I could also suggest a product for joint strength. Bluebonnet brand Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM (one product) as something that has helped me in times of aches (before the Supermodel II)

Also, there is a program called "Invincible Athletics" that is an eastern culture alternative to the "no pain-no gain" western approach. It is very similar to zone 2 or "base training" exertion levels. The idea is to condition the body to exercise from a point of comfort and control, training form rather than force. So I think that you are on to something with that.
Quote Reply