Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice for Ironman 70.3 Boulder in June
Quote | Reply
Any advice on this race coming up this June? How difficult are the elevation effects to cope with and what are ways a flat-lander like me can train for it? Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for Ironman 70.3 Boulder in June [pnuts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are fit like you should be it's really not that bad. I did it last year coming from upstate NY and it was ok. It was most noticeable in the swim, not really noticeable on the bike, and maybe slightly impacted my run. The course isn't that hilly so I wouldn't worry about training for hills. The worst part is a long false flat in the first 7-8 miles. Enjoy the race. The course is beautiful and the RD and folks that put it on do an awesome job. Top class event.

Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice! Looking forward to the race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Last year I my legs cramped on the bike about half way though the bike leg and I had a miserable cramp filled run. Post-race analisys: I didn't drink anything except coffee pre-race and only drank 35-40oz on the bike. This area is arid and will be hot.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll just second the replies above - especially the hydrate part. Drink more than normal when you get to Boulder, stay properly hydrated the day before race day and then on race day you'll probably do fine with your normal plan. The altitude probably won't affect you noticeably, but there's not much you can do about it anyway.

The course is pretty flat and fast. The new section on the bike course (when they moved it from two loop to one loop) is more rolling than the rest of the course, but there's nothing that is long and steep.

The run around the reservoir is part paved, part dirt road/path. It's good enough quality that you probably don't need to worry about shoe choice, etc. and it's a fairly fast run (if you're done before the heat of the day). There are a couple of little hills though.
Re. the path quality: I've done it the last couple of years in Hattoris (which are thin and squishy) and while I could occasionally feel larger stones in the gravel I wouldn't hesitate to run in a lightweight shoe. Of course, I have heard some folks on course complaining about the gravel and how they'd have brought different shoes.
Another thing about the run... there's no shade out there. None. Plan accordingly. There are tons of aid stations though, and they mostly have cups of ice, sponges, etc. They should also have volunteers with sunscreen at the exit of transition, but if you're coming through with a big group of people then there could be a line.

Finally, they've never managed to get enough portaloos near the start. Plan that accordingly on race morning too.

Otherwise, have fun. It's one of my favourite races (I've PRd there twice), and Boulder is a fun town. It's kind of a shame they moved the date, otherwise I'd be doing it again this year.

----------------------------------
http://ironvision.blogspot.com ; @drSteve1663
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go the back way to the race. The main road gets extremely clogged and you can usually roll right up if you come from the north.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd echo the other comments. Very nice race, and mostly pretty fast, but the parts that were hardest surprised this sea-level flat-lander.

Swim: this is most affected by altitude, as it's harder to make subtle adjustments to your breathing rhythm.
Bike: it's mostly fast and mostly fairly flat. Altitude is balanced by thinner air. Remember to drink enough.
Run: the profile looks mild, but the heat can get quite draining. For those who are faster and/or in an earlier wave, that's not much of an issue. But the later in the day you're running, the worse it can get.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for Ironman 70.3 Boulder in June [colinphillips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With this being the first year that this race is in the middle of June, what are the expected water temps?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the bike course fairly smooth or is it similar to the Ironman Austin course?
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for Ironman 70.3 Boulder in June [mex-i-can] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mex-i-can wrote:
With this being the first year that this race is in the middle of June, what are the expected water temps?

Almost certainly wetsuit legal, though not frigid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mex-i-can wrote:
Is the bike course fairly smooth or is it similar to the Ironman Austin course?

The sections that are retained from the old 2-loop route (south of St Vrain Rd) are almost all smooth to very smooth. Not sure about the newer northerly sections.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it last year. Like all above, the swim took a little bit to get the pace right. The bike was my favorite, very fast course and had I known it better I could have hit some of the downhills harder, no really tight turns on the downhills. The first few miles of the run are a slight uphill. Back off your pace a little and save it for the second half of the loop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mex-I-can,
The bike course is significantly smoother than Austin. We have some chip seal in the area but its well maintained.

For those asking about water temps, I would suspect we will be in the mid 60's this year. Certainly wetsuit swim.

DC

DC
Dave Christen
IRONMAN Race Director and Operations Manager
dave.christen@ironman.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
colinphillips wrote:
mex-i-can wrote:

I called the res today and the water temp is 67 degrees. 10 day forecast shows mid 80s and mid 50s (high/low). That is going to feel pretty mild. Looks like good racing temps.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for Ironman 70.3 Boulder in June [GA_TRI_DAWG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GA_TRI_DAWG wrote:
colinphillips wrote:
mex-i-can wrote:

I called the res today and the water temp is 67 degrees. 10 day forecast shows mid 80s and mid 50s (high/low). That is going to feel pretty mild. Looks like good racing temps.

Don't freak now but the Boulder Reservoir has been closed to swimming the past two days. High bacteria levels from all the run off and recent thunderstorms. Normally it clears enough in a day or two. Just hope we don't have thunderstorms and warm weather next week or you will either be swimming in cow crap or doing a duathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for Ironman 70.3 Boulder in June [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
Don't freak now but the Boulder Reservoir has been closed to swimming the past two days. High bacteria levels from all the run off and recent thunderstorms. Normally it clears enough in a day or two. Just hope we don't have thunderstorms and warm weather next week or you will either be swimming in cow crap or doing a duathlon.

Ahhhh, that would stink (pun intended)

I checked the 10 day forecast again and it looks like the rain will stop in the next few days. Hope the following 5 or 6 days of sunshine will have the res ready. Still fairly cool temps for the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, if you are fit, the altitude difference won't be detrimental to your performance but if you can arrive a few days early to acclimate it would be greatly beneficial. It generally takes me 3 days to feel 90% at a mile high. Good luck
Quote Reply