Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Magura RT brakes on a shiv [MrSommer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh, I think I misunderstood you, I thought you had removed the stud out from the reverse side of the magura.
Quote Reply
Re: Magura RT brakes on a shiv [Teamzero86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Teamzero86 wrote:
Has anyone done this? Mark from Specialized is saying to get two rear calipers but I'm wondering if anyone out there has done it with the stock front and rear magura calipers as they are typically sold. If so, did you have to modify anything or what?

I did the swap on my 2012 Sworks Shiv. I got a set of new RT6's front and rear and went to my LBS with the part #'s listed to buy the adapters. The mounting stud in the front caliper is to long and the shoulder needs to have threads cut in it as it is also to long. The stud was easy to remove with a hex key even though Magura said they are difficult to remove and non-serviceable. The stud has an o-ring on it to seal the back side so if you screw it up you will have to buy a whole new caliper to get a replacement as Magura will not sell the stud. After removing the stud I simply cut it down and ran a die over it to cut new threads. Pretty simple really.

Bleeding them and then loosing the tiny set screws and pins used to tighten them after I turned them all the way out was WAY more of a PIA than modifying the stud, lol.

One note I seemed to miss. The adapters are front and rear. I mounted mine backwards the first time. I did this build over the winter along with a new HED wheels, Rotor crank, and Specialized carbon aero bar that I am now waiting on the recall. I am in Ohio so other than the trainer I have not had a chance to get it outside for a test ride. I love the adjust-ability on the brakes and the quick release handles. I am sure they are going to work MUCH better than the TRP's that came on the bike and were down right scary at times.
[URL=http://s216.photobucket.com/...zpshivq9smu.jpg.html][/url]
Quote Reply
Re: Magura RT brakes on a shiv [mlyonsdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone had an issue with the chain rubbing on the rear magura calliper in the small chainring?

I'm busy with an s-works module build, so all parts supplied by Specialized, including the Maguras. In the small ring, the chain is rubbing on the pad holder bolt. I'm using Ridea cranks with their powerglide asymmetric rings, which can be a pain in the arse to get right with the front derailleur, but it looks like the chai rub would be an issue with standard cranks and chainrings too.

I'm not sure how to get around this...

Ironman Certified Coach
Legendary Camel-Spotter
Quote Reply
Re: Magura RT brakes on a shiv [bernmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes!

I also had big problems with chain rubbing on the brake bolt when I installed a pair of Maguras. I'm using 53-39 Rotor Q-rings on a Specialized crankset and a 11-25 cassette. I tried with a regular 42t ring but that did not really solve the problem. My solution has been to shorten the chain by two links. This put more tension on rear derailleur arm and moves the chain away from the brake bolt. This solution works great!

I usually make my chain as long as possible, so this is a huge compromise. The chain is still long enough for 53-25, but I never ride the "big ring - big cog" gear anyway and usually not need more than a 25 cog in the rear for the mountains.
Quote Reply
Re: Magura RT brakes on a shiv [MrSommer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks MrS! I'll try that.

I've got an 11-28, and the power rings are 52-36, which makes them 54-38 on the power stroke, so I may have slightly less leeway to shorten, but I was cautious and erred on the long side to start off.

Ironman Certified Coach
Legendary Camel-Spotter
Quote Reply
Re: Magura RT brakes on a shiv [bernmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same issue with the 36 chain ring and did the same thing and shortened the chain to fix it. If you are running a 11-28 you may not be able to shorten the chain enough which was the case for me with a 11-25. The problem for me was only on the 36x11 gear, IMO I wouldn't worry about it unless you plan to ride that gear for some reason. I have since gone back to a 53x39 and have no issues with the 39 clearing the brake.
Quote Reply
Re: Magura RT brakes on a shiv [mlyonsdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm having the same issue because I am running a compact crank (50/34 - 11-26). I'm not a very big guy, about 145 at 5'8, and my cadence is very high, so I've always run a compact. I am not sure how to get around this problem. I tried removing the washers and using a shorter head screw, but that doesn't solve it. Any ideas short of changing to a standard crankset? I've run out.

Last edited by: DY3VERSITY: Aug 13, 15 23:44
Quote Reply
Re: Magura RT brakes on a shiv [DY3VERSITY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It may be worth talking to your local specialized dealer (but mine weren't much help :( ).

I tried shortening the chain as suggested previously, which helped a bit but didn't solve it. Whenever my inner oval ring hit the 36 tooth part, the chain rubbed. I've moved to a standard s-works 39 inner ring and it's fine.

If you look at the specs of the dealer-supplied shivs that come with Maguras (pro and s-works here in Aus), the pro race comes with a compact crankset (52/36), so it must be do-able. The pro has RT6TT so I don't know if they're slightly different from the RT8TT's on an s-works (which comes with a 53/39).

Maybe they use a spacer to move the crank out slightly. Would be useful if someone with a pro took a look for us.

Ironman Certified Coach
Legendary Camel-Spotter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will it maybe help to sand down the brake pad. Know it means shorter life of the brakepad though...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe its just the angle of the photo, but in the second picture it looks like the brake is way open and pads are way too far from the braking surface? It looks like you could close the brakes a lot, which would probably solve the chain rub.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which rear cog are you on when it rubs?

I would shorten the chain as much as possible on the 50/26 then see where it rubs on 34. If it only rubs on the 11 or 12 I personally wouldn't worry to much about it. There is really no reason to ride those gears and you will likely never use them. Mine only rubbed on the 11 but I had a 36 inner.

The only difference I am aware of on the RT8 vs RT6 brakes are the levers. The 8 are CF the 6 are alum.
Quote Reply
Re: Magura RT brakes on a shiv [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
old thread i know... but anyone looking for a short/rear brake stud to turn a stock "front" into a rear to fit onto a shiv?

I have a "rear" i want to turn into a front for my new TT frame - looking to play swapsies with the stud - and as noted above Magura don't sell this easily replaceable part as a spare
Quote Reply

Prev Next