Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: medial meniscus tear [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! I would be very happy to have made it to 58 without needing custom work.

Maybe I missed it before, but it is good to hear that someone has tried the stem cell thing with good success. I'll keep it in mind for later if things don't improve.

Thanks for the advice regarding PT. I'm a big fan of PT based on it helping me with previous injuries, plus I've noticed that at my age (45, still a youngster I guess) that the moment I stop working a muscle group that it just goes away.

I've started trying some foam rolling, to help loosen up the ITB and also for a previous persistent calf issue in my left leg. Personally I find it incredibly painful; like suck-in-my-breath painful, for whatever reason. Lots of folks say it helps, so I'll stick to it.

Again, thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

ben
Quote Reply
Re: medial meniscus tear [Trailqueen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! It sounds like you're doing quite well - I don't think I've ever gotten in a 20-hour week, ever! (I'm a wimp, Olympic distance only for me...)

If you can do a 21 mile long run without an issue, I'd say the PT is working great. Good luck and I hope your season goes well!
Quote Reply
Re: medial meniscus tear [benjpi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have several rollers, the best is the rumble roller, but the black foam roller will do. everyone is different but i found this technique works much better than simply rolling and compressing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvKyY7wB7V8

chris johnson has tons of free stuff just google chris johnson pt for all kinds of rehab treatments. he does tris too.

and i would be remiss if i did not recommend the mobilitywod website (there is minor charge that u can quit anytime) also his products are top drawer. i just got the battlestar and it is just really good for rolling and flossing (dr. starrett's term for busting up some adhesions).

it will hurt until you break up those adhesions. you have to breathe and not hold your breath when doing the rolling.

best of luck.

Quote Reply
Re: medial meniscus tear [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck with the MRI. I wasn't in acute pain either; if I did nothing (couch potato) - then it practically didn't hurt at all. That's one of the reasons I made sure my doc was an athlete - I wanted someone who understood athletes. As my wife can attest, my exercise keeps me sane - I really don't want to think about not being able to run, bike, swim... In fact, my doc was very firm after the surgery to give the post-op instructions to my wife - "Make sure he doesn't do ANYTHING for two weeks!"

Right now the incision points hurt, about 1 week out. I can walk almost without a noticeable limp, and I can bend to just past 90 degrees without significant pain. It feels a little weird if I hyperextend while standing, like it wants to go backwards further than it did before. Not sure what that is. I still tend to favor it on stairs though.

Thanks for the luck, I'll take all I can get. For you - I'd say bite the bullet and get the MRI. Even if the diagnosis is PT rather than cutup - it will still get you going sooner rather than later!
Quote Reply
Re: medial meniscus tear [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the vid. It made me cringe just watching it..

I need to work on not holding my breath, but the involuntary pain grunts are disconcerting to my remaining family members!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ben. I hope your recovery goes well. Ive heard that people get right back to it once they get the go ahead. Make sure your elevating your leg to keep the swelling down. That speeds up your healing. Swelling is always bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MRI scheduled for Monday. Just stood up from my desk and tweaked it and now I'm limping again.

Dammit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MRI came back clean. No tear! What a relief.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are lucky! I got my MRI back and see the surgeon on Monday to schedule :(

Owner of a few Speed Concepts since 2011.
Quote Reply
Re: medial meniscus tear [ttx_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been in PT for almost a year, had cortisone and Euflexxa injections and I'm still in pain. Any activity I do and I'm sore. Even swimming. I am never going to run again.

I'll trade ya.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A year in PT? Get a second opinion and the MRI. I told my doc that I want the surgery asap and skip the PT first so I can get back on the training and racing circuit right away. He figured I could be running lightly in a few weeks and back on track by spring ready to race. I just wish I could get the surgery before the end of the year to take advantage of a complete deductible but that more than likely won't happen 😞

Owner of a few Speed Concepts since 2011.
Quote Reply
Re: medial meniscus tear [ttx_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the MRI. I am bone on bone OA. There is no acute injury. I also got the second opinion and that's how I ended up getting the injections. Started with cortisone and when that made it feel worse I went with the Euflexxa, a series of 3 injections. That felt good for about a month but as soon as I get my activity level up it hurts all over again.

We've tried all the PT options: Taping, a brace, exercises, massage, complete rest, etc etc etc. You name it, I've done it. I'm working with a personal trainer to do overall strengthening and balance. I'm taking barre method classes which help with strength and balance without impact. I'm swimming with a pull buoy.

I'm now exploring an anti-inflammatory diet in the hopes of reducing some of the pain. No idea if it will work and if it does, how much, but I've run out of ideas.

Good luck with the surgery, I hope it goes well and you are back on the road quickly.

Jen

Quote Reply

Prev Next