Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona Race Report: Top 100 / 6th AG. Thx ST! (Now includes Austin 70.3 Race Report)
Quote | Reply
Kona Race Report Below......Austin 70.3 Race Report on Page 2 or here (http://aftriathlonguy.blogspot.com/...on-accomplished.html) IMFL Report Coming next week............

Well I am going to start off by saying sorry it is long, but some people wanted some other info so I added it in here. I remember seeing a post a few weeks back talking about Ian Mikelson (I think that is who it was). The person was mentioning how they enjoyed following his career and how he climbed through the ranks at Kona year after year. They mentioned him getting into the Top 100 and I thought, that is my goal in 2014, crack the top 100. I never thought that the top 100 would be this year. I thought I had a chance at going top 10 at both Vegas and Kona, but thought that would be next year. I hope those of you that have been around here the past couple of years and have mentored me have enjoyed following along. The ST community has been a big part of this journey, so thank you! Special thanks: Irontri, Dev, Rappstar (for the most recent mentoring), EricM35-39 (now 40-44, thats how long you have been helping me, you aged up ;) ) and I am sure I am missing a few others.

Well here it is, it can also be found here: http://aftriathlonguy.blogspot.com/...3rd-times-charm.html

If you missed the last blog it is the preview to Kona. It can be found here: http://aftriathlonguy.blogspot.com/...-3rd-time-charm.html

This was my third year coming to the big island, and I believed that this was the year that I could make my biggest gains on this race. It is a race like no other, not because the course is "tough", but because the environment is like no other. I landed on the big island with some confidence after 70.3 World Champs and felt like I had more experience this year since it was my third year on the island.

I got in mid morning Saturday and quickly put my bike together to head out for a quick ride and run. I headed out Sunday morning for a longish run and then just relaxed. I had what I thought was allergies flare up on Thursday prior to leaving and they just kept getting worse. I was constantly draining my nose of snot which then turned into mucus, which then people labeled me as "sick" and I just kept telling myself it was "allergies".

Monday was a good long ride out on the Queen-K and just cruised along at a very conversational pace. Chris Avery, an AF Academy graduate was out on the island spectating the race and he joined me for the ride. We had a great time out there just enjoying Hawaii and talking about triathlon and the Air Force. I woke up Tuesday in the middle of the night with a sore throat and even more congestion. At this point I realized I was "sick" and it wasn't allergies but I just kept telling myself I would get better. I medicated with Nyquil, Dayquil, Sudafed for the next 3 days but still no luck, other than the sore throat was gone.

Moving on through the week I had an awesome opportunity to stop by the IM Expo stage on Wednesday and talk on stage for a few minutes about World Bicycle Relief. They were attempting to raise 100 bikes in 30 minutes, so $13,400. Specialized, SRAM, and IM Foundation were matching the first 10 bikes that were donated and then SRAM would continue to match the whole week of Kona. In the 30 minutes the 100 bikes were met and it was an amazing event to be a part of. Pro Triathlete Jordan Rapp does an Annual Charity Challenge, and this is the 5th year. You can find out more about it here, and although it is already over you can keep an eye out for it next year or just go to the above link to contribute to WBR.

Wednesday night was the Slowtwitch Gathering and I had a great time there with friends and family. They always have a great event with many giveaways and free beer and food, only problem no beer for me :( I actually didn't drink for the 5 weeks leading into the race. It is the quickest way for me to get down to race weight, cutting alcohol out of the "diet".

Thursday we had the underpants run followed by a quick military athletes gathering at Lava Java. Always great to get together with everyone as we have a great community of triathletes. That evening was the Welcome Banquet where once again all of the military athletes sit together and enjoy the show.

Friday I had a few short workouts and then bike check in mid day. Then that evening we did our potluck dinner, which is now an annual "event", we have decided next year we will have a give away ;) My little sister is quite the swag monster and she decided to donate items accquired throughout the week to the "give away".

Saturday morning came bright and early with a 0400 wake up. I guess I can start the actual "race report" now.

Swim (2.4 miles)- 1:01:40

Probably my favorite swim course of all time. I love being able to see the bottom of the ocean the whole time. I didn't see any photographers, turtles, or dolphins this year like years past, but still it is an amazing view for the swim. I started right in the center, there was a big orange triangle buoy out there. I swam out to it, went to grab on to it and lo and behold Hines Ward is out there next to it. Talked to him for a few minutes and then with about 5 minutes to go I made my way around the buoy and about 3 rows back from the start "line". The swim was pretty crazy like always but eventually things calmed down for a bit and then at the turnaround got a little crazy again. The swim back was not bad, I swam on some feet, then some open water then back onto some feet. I looked at the clock as I exited the water and was really happy with how I swam. I wanted to swim 1:02, which would have been a minute faster than last year, so I was right on target.

T1- 3:13

Got into T1, got out of my Kiwami Amphibian quickly, which I wore over my Kiwami Konami. I then had a helper assist with getting my new Castelli T1 Stealth top on over the Konami one piece. It is quite a struggle when you are wet but we eventually got it on. I then ran to my bike and out of transition I went.

Bike (112 miles)- 4:41:43

I knew I was going to have my work cut out for me on the bike as I come out of the water a bit behind my age group leaders. I took it pretty easy the first 10 miles through town, then once on the Queen K, I put my head down and got to work. I knew it was going to be a long day with the tailwind going out and the headwind on the way back so I rode pretty hard the first hour then backed off and tried to remind myself to save it for the head wind coming back. The "packs" were not that bad the first part of the ride for me as I was constantly on the left passing people.

I encountered the first group right before making the left off the Queen-K and headed up towards Hawi. I ended up getting swallowed up by them and just sat 7 meters off the back. Once we got going up Hawi, I put my head down and passed a majority of those guys that were in the pack. Special needs was a little hectic as the lady with my bag was distracted talking to someone and completely missed me so I had to come to a complete stop. She ran to me and I got my bottle and headed down from Hawi.

On the way down I wasn't really passing people just kept the legs moving and once it started to flatten out, I ended up with 2 guys behind me and I sat up front pushing about 260 watts. A few minutes later I looked back and a group of about 30 guys came right by me like it was a Sunday group ride. I went to the back and once again sat 7 meters off the back. This was at mile 67, at mile 77, Ken Glah joined the party and the group swallowed him up and out the back he came to join me. We chatted for a bit and saw a ref standing on the side of the road with NO moto. We looked at him in confusion and pointed at the group and he just gave us the UHHHHHHH..... "Sorry I can't doing anything." Finally at mile 82, 2 motos showed up and started handing out penalties, then 3 miles later, side of the road ref showed up and started giving out penalties. Shortly after that, the penalty booth came up and off went about 10 guys to serve their time. At that point the "group" was shattered and I started passing guys again. Then we hit a pretty solid head wind and I started passing a few more guys. The last 20 miles were pretty lonely into town and I had very few people to pass or be passed by.

I came off the bike feeling really good and knowing that I had a really solid ride.

T2- 2:39

I made it quickly into the changing tent and then came the assistance of a volunteer to get my Castelli T1 Stealth top off. It was a lot easier coming off then geting on, other than I forgot to unzip it a little bit and that caused it to get stuck for a few seconds. I grabbed my gel flask and salt tabs and out onto the run I went.

Run (26.2 miles)- 3:14:26

As I started the run I ran past the timing clock and it read "5:49", and it sunk in that I was really having a great race and if I ran like I knew I could, I had a chance at sub 9. I thought to myself about 2 years ago when I ran 3:11 and I knew I was in better shape. I had to really try and throttle back the first few miles, but then just kept running how I felt. Coach said just run by feel. The first few miles were clicking off around 6:50's, then I got realistic and throttled back. I hit my first "rough" patch up Palani. I walked for about 30 seconds half way up and then hit the aid station at the top and walked again. I felt better once out on the Queen-K, I had just seen Jason Patrick Lester going up Palani. Last year he saw me about mile 22 and I was in rough shape then. I remember what he told me about holding ice and remembered that it worked to cool me down.

From there on out I got mutliple cups of ice at each aid station, a few went down my back and a few pieces into my hands and mouth. Around mile 13 I caught Natascha Badmann and started running with her for a bit. She was pretty fast through the aid stations where I took more time and loaded up on calories and ice.

I had been wanting the military title pretty bad over the past 2 years. Rob Hilton, a Marine had one the title the past 2 years and I knew it was going to be a tough battle this year. Luckily as I was leaving the energy lab he was entering, we smacked hands through there and said good luck to each other. I had seen everyone else on the course except him up to that point.

I had a few rough last miles, but once I could see the downhill on Palani the legs just opened up. I ran hard down the hill made the left and kept my momentum up. I saw my mom with about a mile to go and asked her to find a US Flag to cross with. At this point I knew I had won the military division and I wanted to keep my tradition of crossing the Kona finish line with a US Flag going. I was looking for a flag the last mile as I was running and did not see a single one. I saw plenty of British and Aussie flags but no US. I got to the finishing chute and my step dad had a US flag waiting for me, luckily a local shop had one hanging from their roof. I took old glory and had a pretty emotional run down the finishing chute.

After seeing the results later in the day I missed out on 5th place in my Age Group by 5 seconds, I had no clue there was someone in my Age Group that close up the road. Ali'i gets really crowded with fans and has a few curves to it, but like I told a few people I would rather finish 6th flying Old Glory across the line then finish 5th empty handed across the line. I don't get called up on stage, I don't get an umeke for my Age Group, but I do get the honor of representing my country, the US Air Force, and Team Red, White, and Blue by crossing with Old Glory, and that means more to me than 5th place in my Age Group.

Swim (2.4 miles)- 1:01:40 / 34th out of 97 in AG / http://www.strava.com/activities/88918529

Bike (112 miles)- 4:41:43 / 5th out of 97 in AG / http://www.strava.com/activities/88751011
For the power gurus: http://tpks.ws/KCpp

Run (26.2 miles)- 3:14:26 / 9th out of 97 in AG / Garmin got screwed up and lost file. After talking with someone from Training Peaks it seems my watch had too much data on it and could not hold everything.

Total- 9:03:41 / 67th out of 2,134 Overall / 34th out of 2,049 Amateurs / 6th out of 97 in AG / 12th American / 6th American Amateur

Results: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/coverage/athlete-tracker.aspx?race=worldchampionship&y=2013#axzz2i31WIqf4

People have asked what my clothing selection and nutrition was so here it is:

Nutrition:
Breakfast-
-2 Instant Packs of Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
-2 Bananas
-1 OSMO Pre Load Drink (300mg Sodium)
Pre Race-
-1 OSMO Active Hydration Drink
- Forgot to take a Gel
Bike-
-1 OSMO Active Hydration Drink
-5 Hammer Fizz Tabs w/ water in A2 Speedfil bottle
-2 Insulated bottles filled with 1000 calories (started with one, one at special needs)
--4 scoops of Perpetum (first bottle Orange Vanilla / second bottle Cafe Late)
--2 Hammer Gels (Orange and then Cappuccino)
--4oz EFS Liquid Shot (Vanilla and then Kona Mocha)
--2 Honey Stinger Chocolate Waffles
-- 6-10 Honey Stinger Chews
-6 Hammer Salt Tabs
Run-
-2 6oz gel flask (1 at special needs)
--4oz Vanilla EFS Liquid Shot, 2oz Hammer Cappucino
-12 Hammer Salt Tabs
- 8-12 cups of coke
- 100? cups of ice
- 5-8 cups of water
- 1 handful of pretzels
Post Race-
-1 IV bag :)

Gear Selection-
Swim- Kiwami Amphibian as outter layer and Kiwami Konami underneath
Watch- Garmin 910XT

Bike-
Frame- 2008 Cervelo P3C
Gruppo- DuraAce 7800
Powermeter- Quarq Elsa with 172.5mm
Bike Computer- Garmin Edge 800
Race Wheels- HED JET 9 / JET 6 w/ Continental Force/Attack w/ Conti Butyl Tubes
Saddle- ISM Adamo Podium
Cockpit- 3T
Bottle Cages- Arundel Mandible
Pedals- TimeiClic
Shoes- Specialized S-Works Road Shoes w/ no socks
Suit- Kiwami Konami One Piece w/ Castelli T1 Stealth Top
Helmet- Rudy Project Wing57
Glasses- Infite Hero Oakley Radar Paths

Run-
Suit- Kiwami Konami One Piece
Shoes- Ali'i 6.0's
Glasses- Infite Hero Oakely Jawbones
Watch- Garmin 910XT

Special thanks to my mom, step dad, and sister who made the trip out to Kona for the third year in a row. Then everyone that could not attend but was following the race all day long, I can't thank you enough for all of the emails, text messages, FB messages over the past few days. It is amazing the amount of support and people I have in my corner, and like I always say, I would not be here with out all of you!!

Lastly, I can't thank my sponsors/supporters enough: FRS Healthy Energy, Honey Stinger, Kiwami, HED Cycling, Zoot, teamTBB, Fort Worth Cycling, Arundel Bike Products, Clever Training, ISM Saddles, and Team RWB for all of the support!

Some more photos from throughout the week:

Out at the parade of nations on Tuesday

Clay Emge, the winner of our Age Group at the Slowtwitch party

Military Athlete Gathering on Thursday. 5 other guys were all under 10 hours!

Team AF! Scott, Hila, Sam, myself, and Randy

Best shaved ice ever! O and photo bombing my little sisters face!

Running down Ali'i

At the finish area

Up on stage getting our umeke's!

My Rockstar Teammate Sam Morrison! This is the first time the Air Force has swept female, male, and team for the military division. We both also set the fastest times ever posted in the military division. Sam also WON her Age Group, was the 3rd Overall Amateur Female! Watch out for her, she will WIN an IM one day!!

Out on the Queen-K Sunday after the race with Cam Loos. Our buddy Eric was driving by and got this great shot.

If you made it all the way down to this point thanks for reading the whole thing. Or thanks for skipping through it and looking at the pictures ;)

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Last edited by: afbadbrad: Oct 31, 13 12:38
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report: Top 100 / 6th AG. Thx ST! [afbadbrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a great performance. Looking forward to hearing about you ripping up Austin and then Florida.

Quote | Reply
A great result and a great report, many congrats!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a great race!

VALÄ’RE | YouTube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice report and great race

I cant believe you got back on the bike and road Queen K on Sunday ?!?!!!?? ( for a great photo)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job, Brad!

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice race!

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing and nice race! Those details are really helpful.

Also, from a vet, thanks for representing RWB!

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a great race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love to see you military dudes beating some ass out there, congrats! How did you like wearing the Castelli top over your trisuit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I would rather finish 6th flying Old Glory across the line then finish 5th empty handed across the line"

Great report, congrats, and well said. Epic picture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race Brad!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race! Thank you for sharing the details.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might not know you but I still want to take the opportunity to say congratulations! This was an awesome race report and great to see the ST community involvment (new to it and loving all the information).

Wish you the best next year and look forward to more race reports!

PS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brad, is that a flat kit in your rear bottle? (it looks like it) If so, why not just go with a smaller saddle bag or s[are kit that can be tucked underneath the saddle?

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My biggest takeaway is you and Cam out on the Queen K the day after the race....and that sums up the evolution from newbie to top age grouper in our sport that I've had the pleasure to observe for the last 3 years or so. You guys are committed to improve and great to see the results.

Congrats on the Vegas + Kona double. Great to see young Airmen enjoying this sport and really making big progress. I'm not particularly biased towards ex-military guys when it comes to work. We have pluses and minuses....but what I like is that you guys don't flinch on the big stage and can ride to peform. Or as one of my buddies who flies in a civilian field ambulance (as a medic) says, "my job is not stressful, saving people who are on the verge of dying. No one is shooting our helicopter out of the sky as they were in Afghanistan". Good on you and the rest of the Armed Force squad.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report: Top 100 / 6th AG. Thx ST! [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
"I would rather finish 6th flying Old Glory across the line then finish 5th empty handed across the line"

Absolutely - team RWB kicked a$$ this year led by Tim, Brad, James and many others. Great to see these high class people out representing America's finest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for serving our country and congrats on an awesome race.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report: Top 100 / 6th AG. Thx ST! [jw76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jw76 wrote:
Love to see you military dudes beating some ass out there, congrats! How did you like wearing the Castelli top over your trisuit?

Castelli top over was fine. The great thing about the aid stations was water was at the beginning and the end. I would grab a bottle at the beginning drench my upper body and head with water and then second bottle was for my BTA bottle.

Yeah, our "team" of military guys out there this year had a great showing.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report: Top 100 / 6th AG. Thx ST! [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AMT04 wrote:
Brad, is that a flat kit in your rear bottle? (it looks like it) If so, why not just go with a smaller saddle bag or s[are kit that can be tucked underneath the saddle?

Yes, that is my flat kit. For 70.3 and under it goes in the Dark Speed Works box. I have it in a bottle because I also have a pump in there, and I doubt it would fit in a saddle bag. I have 2 CO2s, CO2 Air Chuck, 1 Pump, 2 tire levers, 1 multi tool, and 1 tube. Other tube is in a zip lock bag under my ISM Podium saddle.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report: Top 100 / 6th AG. Thx ST! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
My biggest takeaway is you and Cam out on the Queen K the day after the race....and that sums up the evolution from newbie to top age grouper in our sport that I've had the pleasure to observe for the last 3 years or so. You guys are committed to improve and great to see the results.

Congrats on the Vegas + Kona double. Great to see young Airmen enjoying this sport and really making big progress. I'm not particularly biased towards ex-military guys when it comes to work. We have pluses and minuses....but what I like is that you guys don't flinch on the big stage and can ride to peform. Or as one of my buddies who flies in a civilian field ambulance (as a medic) says, "my job is not stressful, saving people who are on the verge of dying. No one is shooting our helicopter out of the sky as they were in Afghanistan". Good on you and the rest of the Armed Force squad.

Thanks Dev, I have also appreciated your post and reading about your experiences. You are a true inspiration watching you climb from literally out of a wall, all the way back to the big stage. Looking forward to seeing you to continue to succeed in triathlon! All the best and thanks for the support!

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report: Top 100 / 6th AG. Thx ST! [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
3Aims wrote:

Absolutely - team RWB kicked a$$ this year led by Tim, Brad, James and many others. Great to see these high class people out representing America's finest.

Yes, Team RWB had a great group of athletes out there this year. Always great to see the Eagle flying around the course. Thansk for the support!

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report: Top 100 / 6th AG. Thx ST! [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dongustav wrote:
Thank you for serving our country and congrats on an awesome race.

Dongustav,

Thank you for the support. It took me a long time to figure out how to respond to people when they say thanks for serving. I feel like I am lucky to be serving our country, that I was able to volunteer to do it and that I was not mandated to do it. As hard as it is somedays to put on the uniform and come to work instead of stay out on the bike or running the trails, it is always satisfying at the end of the day to know that I am serving my country. So, THANK YOU for your support of our troops!

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, Brad, I just realized you took 44min off your 2012 time! Most folks who did both years seem to be averaging 15-20min. faster. What do you think made that difference this year as your time result is clearly more then good conditions

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report: Top 100 / 6th AG. Thx ST! [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryan,

Glad to see that you are noticing the same "fast course" difference as I am. I took my time from this year, my placing from last year ~235th and 500th place and all those times were between 15-18mins faster this year.

As for why I was able to take so much time off? Last year I put in a huge cycling focus from December-July (with a 2 month gap back to tri focus from May-June for Armed Forces). I had very frew running miles in my leg and had a bad marathon in my opinion of a 3:24, compared to 2011 3:11. This year was completely a tri focus as I made the decision to give up trying to be a P/1 bike racer, as I didn't believe I had age on my side to make it to the pro level, even domestically. As where in tri I felt like I had age on my side and could still have a good chance at progressing in the sport over the next 5-10 years.

I have been with Scott for the past 3 years, we had a "break" from last December to end of April when I worked soley with a good friend on that cycling focus. Scott has been a great coach, and friend over the past 3 years and has really done great things for me. He has kept things in check and has never tried to push me over the edge. Knock on wood, he has kept me injury free. I made the decision with his guidance to do Austin 70.3 on 27 October (did this last year with no problems) and then IMFL 6 days later. Yes it is crazy, I know. The reason behind it is that I deploy mid December and didn't want to have to do an IM next spring or summer. We wanted to try and carry my fitness from Kona to FL and see how that went. I wanted to do Cozumel, but it is really a pain in the rear to get down there as military. It is possible just hard. It would have worked better, but if all goes to crap these next to races I will be headed to St Croix next spring.

Another key factor might be that I am back in the US and I have a good network of training partners here. I had a decent group in Korea, the depth here is just greater. I have a group ride I can attend, I have Barrett Brandon here in Ft Worth to train with and I have better support here in the US. It is easier to get to big races, I am getting my rear haned to me more often this year than when in Korea, and I think that has pushed me to train harder and realize how fast our sport is getting. I was living somewhat in a dreamland in Korea thinking that I was already doing really well, then the first race of 2013 in the US Jake Rhyner took it to me at S.Beach.

As for what was done differently, here are 3 blogs from last year that might shed some light on things. Take a look at the Kona Preview for a little comparisson to this year.

http://aftriathlonguy.blogspot.com/...ths-of-training.html
http://aftriathlonguy.blogspot.com/...g-season-part-1.html
http://aftriathlonguy.blogspot.com/...g-season-part-2.html

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply

Prev Next