Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona poor PERFORM-ance?
Quote | Reply
http://www.andrewstarykowicz.com/...or-perform-ance.html

Seriously getting sick of hearing excuses from athletes at all levels of this sport.

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Kona poor PERFORM-ance? [travis_lt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe, but is it so absurd to consider the massive quantities of beverages were not handled properly?

Curious to hear some others chime in, pros and amateurs.
Last edited by: Dave Luscan: Oct 17, 13 12:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. Raced STUPID!

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Kona poor PERFORM-ance? [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran out of my own EFS mix at about mile 80 and transferred over to Perform as per the plan. Started to feel off but drove the bike home. By mile 10 I had a really sour stomach. Shit my brains out at mile 14, felt better. Negative split the run home.

I attribute this to heat and my own doings rather than the Perform, but I have *never* liked that stuff, even when training with it full time this summer and fall.

Dave Luscan wrote:
Maybe, but is it so absurd to consider the massive quantities of beverages were not handled properly?

Curious to hear some others chime in, pros and amateurs.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just wonder what it's like to have a chemist on staff.

I really think that's a weak excuse for a poor performance (which, I could never make even his poor performance times on my best day...EVER) and a cheeseball thing to do (the calling out of a product that he thought was inferior).

I'm ignorant, but couldn't he have stopped at his special needs and picked up his stuff if he had "stashed" it in his special needs bag? Didn't he drop a bottle early on in the race? Maybe that was somebody else...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Starky has an Ace of Spades and everyone knows it. He played it. It was his only chance of winning. It was a small chance, but it was real. I am not a fanboy by any stretch. He's actually not one of my favorite IM guys, but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This would make for one of the most epic failures by a nutrition companies if it's true. Who knows if this is BS or not but it's a great theory considering how many pros had a shitty day AND how many athletes we've heard got sick.... fyi Fre' never touched the stuff. Had his own nutrition the whole day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No wonder why I didn't do so well at IMWI. It was bunch of bad batches of Perform!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona poor PERFORM-ance? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He sounded pretty objective and didn't specifically link his issues that day with GI issues, but it probably didn't help.

He may have a valid point. I wonder if a lot of bottles were prefilled the following day and not refrigerated. Or even just prefilled early that morning and left out in the sun all day. I'm not sure what the normal process is. Seems liek you normally see it premixed in the large insulated coolers and dispensed that morning and durign the race.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Last edited by: motoguy128: Oct 17, 13 12:56
Quote Reply
Re: Kona poor PERFORM-ance? [radelj44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah it definitely seems plausible especially given how bizarrely the race turned out
Quote Reply
Re: Kona poor PERFORM-ance? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the perform used on the bike is sealed until the morning of the race? Back when I volunteered at a bike aid-station at IMAZ and gatorade was the on-course fluid sponsor we had to open up every single bottle and puncture/remove the aluminum foil seal and screw the cap back on.

Maybe someone else can chime in on this if they know with more detail.

As for Starykowicz, he's not someone who holds back on saying what he thinks, and that can be good sometimes, not so good other times. I don't mind him pointing this out whatsoever. It is an interesting observation, and he's only posting what the "chemist" (my guess would be from Gu) told him could have caused the discoloration. It's not entirely out of the question that there was a bad batch... who knows.
Last edited by: AndresLD: Oct 17, 13 13:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whining about the on course nutrition and trying to blame it for his performance is kinda pathetic. If you don't know that the drink and the powder mix are two different products you're doing a very poor job of preparing for your biggest race of the year. When the vast majority of the field is having record setting days and dealing with the same on course nutrition it's hard to blame your bad day on the exact same thing everyone else dealt with. Racing at that intensity for such a long time is hell on your GI system and writing a post trashing a product is immature at best.

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Kona poor PERFORM-ance? [severinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, that Van Lierde bit is interesting too. All day I kept seeing things that said it was a perfect day and then the marathon was kinda flat. Lots of GI issues too. It will be most telling how many pros do all their own nutrition next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had problems with it the last 2 years out there. Would be fine until about mile 80 or 90 then my stomach would get all out of whack. I would then just switch to water. This year I changed things up. I brought 5 Hammer Electrolyte Fizz tabs and used those with water from the course. Worked a lot better and no stomach issues at all. I will detail my nutrition from the race in my race report, should be posted tomorrow.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There were also some complaints and Muncie 70.3 of bad Perform.. so this isn't an isolated case.. And yes, they used the premix stuff vs the powder - which is one of the primary reasons I used my own nutrition (at Muncie)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After chugging half the bottle I thought it tasted "off" and tossed it

"injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" MLK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
travis_lt wrote:

Seriously getting sick of hearing excuses from athletes at all levels of this sport.

It only shows that the professionals whine like the AG'ers when it comes to this. Let's blame whatever I ate or drank for the reasons I had a bad race instead of addressing the real issue which was riding 112 miles into a brick wall.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Kona poor PERFORM-ance? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jack, considering the number of people who went under 9.5 or 10 hours, I would say that nutrition problems were very minimal across the board. If it was a bad lot, there would certainly have been many more implosions out there. Seems to me that Starky is hoping to find some reason he could not ride faster (his ego when it comes to the bike seems extraordinary).

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's likely that the stuff is shipped out to Kona months in advance and stored in a non climate-controlled warehouse. Stuff that is left over is put back in the warehouse and rotated in with some new stock for 70.3 Hawaii. What is leftover from that race gets added into the new shipment for the following year's IMWC. Is it possible to grab something out of a bike aid station that is more than a year old, absolutely. But you're not going to read an expiration date as you fly down the Queen K. Safest bet is to mix your own on the fly as was previously mentioned.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona poor PERFORM-ance? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
travis_lt wrote:

It only shows that the professionals whine like the AG'ers when it comes to this. Let's blame whatever I ate or drank for the reasons I had a bad race instead of addressing the real issue which was riding 112 miles into a brick wall.

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't read any whining at all. Or making any excuses. I read that he saw some funky colors on his straw and contacted a chemist for an explanation. Where was the whining or excuses in that post?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't care for him either, but on the immaturity scale, your posting trumps his.

A few guys who raced and used the product also posted to this thread, one of whom said it tasted off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Luscan wrote:
I don't care for him either, but on the immaturity scale, your posting trumps his.

A few guys who raced and used the product also posted to this thread, one of whom said it tasted off.

Can you really tell the difference anyway? That schitt is just flat-out nasty. Wink

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am no where near the pointy end of a race but I have had this problem twice, both in hot races.

In one of them the nutrition was put out the night before unrefrigerated. By the time I drank it around mid-day, not only was it off but it had separated and turned to a congealed mess,

Within 10 minutes I was throwing up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Luscan wrote:

Not sure what is immature about publicaly disagreeing with a public blog post or seriously disliking the culture of excuses that seems to pervade triathlon but ok. Why don't you ask Flanny what he thinks of excuses :-)

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply

Prev Next