Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
This might be THE non-Pro Story at Kona
Quote | Reply
This might be, THE non-Pro story at Kona. Four Danish brothers, all qualify for Ironman Hawaii - 3 of them broke 9 hrs to do it and the fourth was just over 9 with 2 flats on the bike!

Don't mess with these guys they are fast, and when you read their story, you can throw a few more logs on the quality vs quantity training debate fire!

http://www.ironman.com/...a.aspx#axzz2h0L8iYD7

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Oct 7, 13 11:18
Quote Reply
Re: This might be THE non-Pro Story at Kona [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hell, if I only have one brother, I would be a pro now. Being the only child sucks...
Quote Reply
Re: This might be THE non-Pro Story at Kona [amaterasu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think genetic loaded the gun on this one for sure.

Someone should have told them on most courses a 9:15-9:30 is good enough. They put too much training time into it.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: This might be THE non-Pro Story at Kona [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thsi is what I hear most from those with limited training time. OF coruse thsi really pisses of the fishes to no end. No fish wants ot hear that swim training beyond the minimal to have good form, is more or less a waste of time:

"
An interesting part of their quality-over-quantity orientation is an almost casual dismissiveness about the swim. “It has the least payback for the training investment,” Thomas says. “I know I’m going to swim eight or ten minutes behind my competition, but it doesn’t make much difference as far as overall time is concerned.” He believes that all the hours it would take to buy a few minutes in the water are much better spent improving the bike and run. Mathematically, this makes perfect sense: A four to five percent improvement over a four-plus-hour bike or three-plus-hour run makes a much bigger difference than it does over an hour-long swim.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...a.aspx#ixzz2h3s0O5eZ"

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, these guys are awesome. And very successful personally too. So good for them.

To save you the next guy time:, they finished 2nd, 3rd, 5th,6th, in the AG at Kopenhagen.

It is hardly a news flash that you can do really well as an AGer in an IM coming out of the water "way" back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic story. Can't wait to see how they do in Kona!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't a group of friends one year all sort of do the same thing (they all wore capes at Kona during the racein 2011 I think). I think that's more impressive since at least these brother share the same genes. No way in hell could I get a group of friends to all KQ in the same year...heck, we couldn't even get one of us to KQ in any year.
Quote Reply
Re: This might be THE non-Pro Story at Kona [jamlo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome story.

One thing that jumped out at me was that two of them went 8.50 and that only got them 5th and 6th in their AG! Crazy quick race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so... it looks like whatever they're doing, it works. I want that training program here in the next 24hours or I'm going to cry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had JUST read that and was going to reply to your post with that article but I see great minds think alike. Amazing brothers!

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: This might be THE non-Pro Story at Kona [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got to agree with the genetics part! It does come in handy if everyone has an inclination toward a certain type of physical activity/output. I would argue also that being brothers is actually very helpful for getting stronger/faster/better. Anytime I have trained with friends I have always had that little bit of competition in the back of my mind wanting me to push myself harder to show I'm just a hair faster. I can only imagine that being brothers magnifies this x10
Quote Reply
Re: This might be THE non-Pro Story at Kona [SolidSnake03] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got to agree with the genetics part! It does come in handy if everyone has an inclination toward a certain type of physical activity/output. I would argue also that being brothers is actually very helpful for getting stronger/faster/better. Anytime I have trained with friends I have always had that little bit of competition in the back of my mind wanting me to push myself harder to show I'm just a hair faster. I can only imagine that being brothers magnifies this x10

I've seen this before in some other families that I have known, where all the kids turned out to be outstanding athletes, either in one sport or several different sports. I agree with you about the group training environment. There is a definite push/pull that goes on that is beneficial in so many ways.

What's fascinating to me, is these are the kind of guys that get little to no recognition at Kona( this story not withstanding) - the exceptional age-group athletes. My feeling is there should be more stories about these sorts of guys( and gals).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"What's fascinating to me, is these are the kind of guys that get little to no recognition at Kona( this story not withstanding) - the exceptional age-group athletes. My feeling is there should be more stories about these sorts of guys( and gals). "

I find the pro athletes interesting because they show the limits of what can be done. Stories about the top AG people are in a lot of ways even more interesting, because they show what can be accomplished with limited training time and within the constraints of having a real job and life in addition to triathlon.

That is a lot more relevant to me, and the stories about how THEY accomplished their triathlon feats is generally a lot more useful. I am also interested in how these guys spent their limited training time, it obviously worked out very well for them.
Quote Reply
Re: This might be THE non-Pro Story at Kona [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fun story.

These IM Copenhagen results show how much more competative the field becomes as amateurs age up into the 30's. 9:17 got a young 'un 2nd place but 8:50 did not get the 30-some year old on the podium.

Martin 30-34 5th 8:50:35
Thomas 30-34 6th 8:50:45
Anders 25-29 3rd 8:59:37
Jonathan 20-24 2nd 9:17:59

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: This might be THE non-Pro Story at Kona [Doubletime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

These IM Copenhagen results show how much more competitive the field becomes as amateurs age up into the 30's

No surprise, generally speaking, you see athletes reaching their ultimate peak with an endurance sport like triathlon in their late 20's, and then being able to maintain that peak through, again generally, until their mid to late 30's.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are these the same set of brothers that raced Ironman NYC, whom some people claimed helped each other pace? Just curious.... no agenda in my question.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: This might be THE non-Pro Story at Kona [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paxfobiscum wrote:
Are these the same set of brothers that raced Ironman NYC, whom some people claimed helped each other pace? Just curious.... no agenda in my question.

No agenda here. Their splits:

Martin Lawaetz 1:02:26 3:34 4:37:48 1:35 3:05:14 8:50:35

Thomas Lawaetz 1:02:51 2:58 4:34:24 1:41 3:08:53 8:50:45

Anders Lawaetz 58:46 2:55 4:35:52 1:37 3:20:29 8:59:37

Jonathan Lawaetz 58:16 3:25 4:53:50 2:24 3:20:06 9:17:59

Keep in mind that Anders (25-29) and Jonathan (20-24) are in different age groups (they do have the same start time), Thomas and Martin are in the same age group (30-34, which starts 10 mins before 18-29)

From the athlete's guide:

Group 5 7.35 Swim cap - red AG MEN 30-34
Group 6 7.45 Swim cap - blue AG MEN 18-29;

Conclusion: Based on their splits, it's almost certain that they did NOT work together except perhaps during the swim.

Last edited by: amaterasu: Oct 8, 13 10:33
Quote Reply
Re: This might be THE non-Pro Story at Kona [Dan The Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Challenge (who made that course) is not exactly known for having legit courses....even by a long shot.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
This might be, THE non-Pro story at Kona. Four Danish brothers, all qualify for Ironman Hawaii - 3 of them broke 9 hrs to do it and the fourth was just over 9 with 2 flats on the bike!

Don't mess with these guys they are fast, and when you read their story, you can throw a few more logs on the quality vs quantity training debate fire!

http://www.ironman.com/...a.aspx#axzz2h0L8iYD7

And their mom did the Ironman with them too. very cool.
Quote Reply
Re: This might be THE non-Pro Story at Kona [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
Challenge (who made that course) is not exactly known for having legit courses....even by a long shot.

I was thinking along these lines. 8:50+ and you're off the podium?!? Does anyone have any more info on this?

Clearly they are amazing athletes, however.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I can eat 21 plus a deep-fried turkey!"
Quote Reply
Re: This might be THE non-Pro Story at Kona [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that was my first thought as well, glad to see that they didn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bet Sam Gyde still kicks their butts and wins his AG two times in a row :0)

Re: This might be THE non-Pro Story at Kona [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bmanners wrote:
Bet Sam Gyde still kicks their butts and wins his AG two times in a row :0)

I believe this yr would make it 3! At least that's what he told me today that he's gunning for:)

Quote | Reply
My mistake but even better!

Quote | Reply
So how'd these fellers end up doing?
Quote Reply

Prev Next