Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rebuilding a wheel around my Powertap [cwg_at_opc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a wheelsmith tensiometer that I got on the cheap and borrow a buddy's performance brand (Spin Doctor, I think?) truing stand. Most important thing IMO, is patience, followed closely by having a nice spoke wrench.

Have fun!

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Re: Rebuilding a wheel around my Powertap [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'll take a picture when i get home; the lip is definitely there. so far after about 3 months of riding it still feels tight and even. rolls nicely and holds speed well.
near the end of the build, i detensioned and retensioned, then stressed it from both sides. there is a slight hop that i can't get rid of, but i can't feel it either.
rolling-wise, it doesn't creak, crunch or make any scary sounds. it does make that slight rrrrrrr noise that we all associate with deep carbon rims, so that's cool.

"...I try not to ever ride as slow as 20mph. ;) ... And even more than that, I don't race with a speedometer. My computer is set up to show Power // Cadence // Time. I don't actually ever know how fast I'm going. I only know that if I'm in 53/11, and it takes more than 100rpm to hit my target watts, it's time to coast." - Jordan Rapp on '09 IMC
Quote Reply
Re: Rebuilding a wheel around my Powertap [cwg_at_opc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be impossible to remove the hop on one of those rims. Any idea how much it is? I can easily see a "hop" of .005", but I doubt it would be felt even if it was 10 times that much.

Another question. Was the inside of the carbon full of plastic molding material like the Flashpoints? It's kind of a mess.
Last edited by: rruff: Apr 20, 15 17:22
Quote Reply
Re: Rebuilding a wheel around my Powertap [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
was not able to see much of anything through the spoke holes in either direction, so no idea how clean the inside is.
i didn't hear anything loose or flappy, so, good? actually, i've never seen the insides of my flashpoints either, so i have nothing to compare against.
the performance spin doctor truing stand has a bit of a scale on it, so i'll see if i can take a stab at how high the hop is.

for the price, it's not too bad, $165 bucks? if Flo sold their 60m rims for something close to that, i'd have bought one of those instead.

"...I try not to ever ride as slow as 20mph. ;) ... And even more than that, I don't race with a speedometer. My computer is set up to show Power // Cadence // Time. I don't actually ever know how fast I'm going. I only know that if I'm in 53/11, and it takes more than 100rpm to hit my target watts, it's time to coast." - Jordan Rapp on '09 IMC
Quote Reply

Prev Next