Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMLP Race Report #3, 56min PR, 10:52.
Quote | Reply
This was my third and likely final IMLP.

2011: 11:47 - A decent first attempt with some ups and downs and classic first timer mistakes. Poorly paced ride resulted in a crap run.
2012: 12:15 - A horrible and hot day. Awful. Some puking. And my glucose was jumping all over the place. A truly tough race.

With some help, I feel like I finally nailed some crucial ingredients to make long distance tris work.

Pre-race:
It was a really nutty couple of weeks leading up to the event. I just took a new job across the country two months ago, got married three weeks ago, flew out from SF a week early to pack a moving truck with all our gear from our 4th floor Brooklyn walkup. So yeah, not ideal. Not to mention rolling my ankle while taking an easy jog around Prospect Park once I arrived in NYC.

One last addition to pre-race "dont do's": I crashed the day before the event while looping around by Cobble Mountain Lodge to drop off my bike. Went over the bars and left some of my skin and pride on the sidewalk. Bike was basically ok, but it looks like I fractured a bone in my hand. Hurts like hell and I'm bound in a splint to restrict movement. My main concern was being able to properly brake on the descents and ensuring I didn't take a kick to the hand in the swim. I did a bit of test riding on a bike and it seemed basically ok, just difficult to shift. I'm usually proud of my bike handling, this was just a freak patch of gravel that I handled poorly.

I adjusted my race goals to "finish". I weighed less than previous years, 165-167lbs and had mostly the same equipment setup. Cervelo P2, Hed Jet9 rear with wheel cover, Jet6 on the front. Giro Advantage aero helmet. For breakfast I skipped my usual fatty PB bagel and ensure, and switched to faster digesting carbs like Cliff bars and orange juice.

Swim:
2011: 1:12 - I was a terrible swimmer leading up to the 2011 race. Spent a lot of time getting used to the wetsuit and doing open water swim training and races. Survived, but was pretty anxious.
2012: 1:07 - Much more solid swim, swam inside the line and finally found some feet after some heavy contact at the start.

2013: 1:08 - Pretty chill swim. Expected prior to injury to do a 1:02-1:05 at most. Used a sleeveless suit this year.
I wore the splint in the water for my hand. Despite shoulder surgery in November for a SLAP tear I've been swimming much faster this year and expected to do well. But for today I had to focus on just getting through it without messing up my hand any further. The new swim start from this non-kq'er is rad btw. Nice and smooth, simple, and not a mosh pit. You just get in and take off. I get that some of you guys like mass starts... but it just seems poorly suited for so many people in such a small lake.

T1:
2011: 11:13 - Lost my glasses, was generally confused about how it all worked in the tents.
2012: 9:17 - Lost my glasses again, dropped my glucometer in T1, total chaos.

2013: 8:06 - Faster than previous years, still pretty slow.
Unlike previous years, I did a large dose of insulin via syringe. Made a huge difference. In previous races I would spike up after the swim and struggle to get my sugar under control. Delivering a large bolus via syringe front loaded a lot of insulin up front that kept me stable all race.

Bike:
2011: 5:41 - NP: 210 - Rode somewhat aggressively, chased power numbers all day with 200-210watts as goal. Drilled the hills, both up and down. Not smart. Often out of the saddle.
2012: 5:48 - NP: 189 - Rode smarter, tried testing sugar while riding. Struggled with glucose control and keeping my sugar up. Really died out there on the second lap.

2013: 5:31 - NP: 209 - Mostly coasted the long descents(0-200watts), spin to win style on the climbs(210-255watts), strong on the flats(225-244watts)
For the first time I really had a plan on the bike with respect to watts, HR and general pacing. I rode a lot this year, peaking out at 325mi a couple weeks before the race. My FTP hovered around 310-320 watts. CP10 of 347watts, A lot of hill climbing in SF and some tough 4 hour rides at 85% of FTP for 45min, followed by 15min at 95-100% FTP. I was really concerned about cooking myself on the bike before the run. I'm just not a solid runner yet. So if there was any doubt, I dialed it back rather than up during the race. Looking at the numbers, I likely left some time on the table on the bike. Tons of drafting out there in the usual places, whatever. Just did my thing. 300cals per hour via mostly Carbopro. I had a single scoop of Cytomax in each nutrition bottle as well, but mostly got electrolytes from salt pills.

T2:
2011: 4:58
2012: 3:20
2013: 2:58

Run:
2011: 4:39 - No calorie goal or time goal. Just tried to finish. Run/walk.
2012: 5:05 - Carnage. So hot out there and I really felt ill. Puked. Dry heaved. Walked from mile 13 to the finish line.

2013: 4:01 - Felt good! Obviously pretty slow, but managed pace with HR for the first 20 miles and it seemed to keep me feeling stronger till the end. 155bpm was my HR cap. My glucose was on track the entire time and I never had any big lows or highs. Such a change!

Running has always been my weakness. I mean really, I am slow. Lots of injuries in the past have forced me to limit my mileage. This was my first year without any major injuries and I felt far more confident in my run. In 2007 I ran the Brooklyn half marathon in 2:12, a 20min PR at the time. This year, same race, I ran a 1:30 and felt great after. I did a lot more tempo work this year and one huge difference, less running on tired legs after the bike. In the past two years I did that a lot and I think it may have contributed to some of the injuries.

Crossed the finish line in 10:52. A 56min PR.
I can't deny the cool weather helped.How much, I dont really know. I was way fitter this year. My goal after last year was to get the diabetic stuff worked out. I fumbled it so many times in the past(and daily life really…). I had benefited greatly from some awesome coaches at Trilife(Scott Willet and Ross Galitsky) the last couple years, but this component relative to training/racing needed another diabetic's insights. I have to thank Cliff Scherb for nailing that down with me. It allowed me to focus on racing and putting my body to the test. I basically had two teams in my corner this year, more than most people can say, so I'm a lucky SOB.

I'm flying back out to SF on Wednesday with my new wife, dog and a smile on my face, couldn't be happier with how it all worked out. Now to get more running time in...
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Race Report #3, 56min PR, 10:52. [amclean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow. awesome job.
that sugar management ads an interesting twist.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Race Report #3, 56min PR, 10:52. [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it makes it tricky. But eventually it starts to feel like just another metric to track, HR, Watts, Pace, Glucose, Active insulin. Totally doable if you're paying attention to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Helluva a PR especially with all the other stuff leading up to it. I recall the last minute switch to sleeveless as I was going to offer mine but you acted too quickly ;)

Congrats and good luck on the left coast. All the people I knew who left NY for CA have never returned. All the best!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious what your AP was in each of those years. My first was also 11:47 and am trying to go sub 11:00 at IMMT but more likely 11:15 to 11:30. My FTP is considerably lower at 245 but am 20 lbs lighter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome job, huge new PB!!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, awesome day especially given the lead up with the move, the ankle twist and the pre race crash!!!! Sounds like the perfect taper!
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Race Report #3, 56min PR, 10:52. [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First race was an AP of 189 I believe. But again, it was all over the place. Hammering up hills and stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Race Report #3, 56min PR, 10:52. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was almost a relief having so much go wrong. After the ankle twist I was worried but figured I could probably gut it out. After the crash I just thought finishing and saying goodbye to the east coast would be enough. Saw you out on the course looking strong on the run, chatting somebody up when Potts passed. We've never met but our paths have crossed a couple times at Tupper, LP, and a few other east coast races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job on a tough course. a 4:01 IM marathon is NOT slow. There are a lot of speedsters here on ST but the average IM marathon time according to an article last year in Triathlete was 4:55. Give yourself some credit for your considerable improvement. I think the top end speed work you did to get you to a 1:30 half time paid big dividends.

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool, congrats on the PB and figuring it out on the diabetes part for the race day too. I can almost smell that sub 10h ;-)

Do you mind sharing what type of numbers do you run for your latest A1C while training for an Ironman? I'm just a very curious T1D gathering data and trying of tri-training and T1D

--
Vinnie Santana, Multisport Coach
http://www.ironguides.net
* * * Your best is our business. * * *
Quote Reply