Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
who's roastin?, bitch about the heat wave here
Quote | Reply
Holy mother of fuck, it's hot in the west.

Here in Boise we hit 110 and its basically impossible to do anything past 10am. i have conference calls that start at o'dark thirty and i'm SOL for training, except swimming, so its back on the trainer to ride.

at least for those of us going to Vegas, well, its ideal conditions.....
Quote Reply
Re: who's roastin?, bitch about the heat wave here [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calgary, currently 36C, "feels like 40". Set a new record high, old one was 33.

For you folks in the Excited States, that'd be 97 and feels like 104.

Bear in mind we seldom get humidity so when it is like this, it is VERY unusual.

I plan to do a treadmill run after work, in my basement. But, I have AC that will have been running all day so I'll need to get moving to keep warm.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We only get hot on race day. All other days are in the 60s and 70s.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finding The Positive In Concrete Marked With Your Ass-Sweat

Quote:
... Optimism can also be good. For example, after my runs, I will often sit on my stoop, collect myself, look at the stats on my app and listen to some music without moving, which is nice. I may have mentioned before that I sweat a lot. Well, that does not exclude my ass. My ass sweats maybe more than my armpits. When I come back and sit down on the stoop, I leave a mark. A sweat mark that looks like my ass. I noticed the other day that the sweat mark I left was much smaller than it used to be. This brightened my day probably more than it should have. I even told my wife. I don't know, I was proud; I wanted people to know about it because the implication is, in case you were wondering, that my actual ass has gotten smaller and is therefore leaving a smaller sweat mark because there is less of it to be covered in sweat and then make contact with the stoop. My wife didn't seem as enthralled with my pretty scientific inferences as I was; maybe I'll put it in my twitter bio.

Some people are faucets, some people are drains, and some people are ass-shaped puddles of sweat

Just remember to re-hydrate like crazy, everyone!!! Cheers!!!

When I lived in Philly, and would run after work on blazing hot Summer evenings, I imagined the sweat that dripped off of me after a run sizzling on the sidewalk like grease on a griddle, as the fat within me was being liquified by the super-heated mileage and drizzling out of my pores to the sun-baked ground below

If you think running around outside in the heat & humidity is bad, try doing it while dealing with a Trash Strike as well!!!

http://www.philebrity.com/...bage-strike-of-1986/

http://articles.latimes.com/...news/mn-20966_1_bags

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love hot. Last year we were racing on a 105F (and humidity! - it's TN!). Today I'm ready to put a jacket on. Weather app says it's 81F.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Long ride into the NC mountains today....1st time I have ever gotten chilly here in July!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love hot but my body is taking a beating while it gets used to the heat. I lost 9 lbs in a 3 hour run/stumblefest on Sunday. I'm still working on my hydration/electrolyte balance.

It was low 90s with a 70* dewpoint. We never get that here in Seattle. It's usually a much dryer heat so this caught me more off guard than my run 2 weeks ago when I lost 5lbs.

Cray cray but I love it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feel free to send any of that heat to Chicago.....I'll be wearing arm warmers for the weekly Tuesday night ride tonight and knee warmers on the way home from it.

Worst late Spring / early Summer I can recall in about 10 years. I wish global warming would hurry the hell up!! Wink

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sto wrote:
Holy mother of fuck, it's hot in the west.

Here in Boise we hit 110 and its basically impossible to do anything past 10am. i have conference calls that start at o'dark thirty and i'm SOL for training, except swimming, so its back on the trainer to ride.

at least for those of us going to Vegas, well, its ideal conditions.....

i'm probably one of the heaviest sweaters i know... up to 7lbs in an hour run. i've been drinking a gallon after my workouts in the afternoons!

-Jason
Quote | Reply
It's so hot in Alabama, you can fry an egg on an ice cube.

“Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.” Charles Schultz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ran at lunch today, definitely went shorter/slower than usual but otherwise not so terrible being mentally braced for it. Drink plenty, cool white mesh cap, etc. What really sucked was helping a buddy install a deck over the weekend... Not enough movement to generate any airflow, sweat dripping into my safety glasses every time I leaned over for anything, ugh. Way worse. And of course it took 3X as long as even a long run by my standards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm one of those odd types who like the heat. that said, I live in a valley so when it gets too hot our air quality turns to shite!

the heat doesn't phase me but what I can't stand is when the overnight lows don't dip below 80. you wake up and it already feels warm, blech!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply
Re: who's roastin?, bitch about the heat wave here [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously....rode this morning with a long sleeve jersey. It'll probably be 110 next week and back to 70 the week after. Wind has been pretty wicked too...gotta love Chicago...

Superfly Coaching
http://www.superflycoaching.com/eric

IL PIRATA VI GUARDA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It hasn't exactly been cold here (in NC), but not the heat levels that we typically expect. However, I can't remember a wetter spring/summer. I've run in the rain (and mud, since I do almost all of my running off road) so often that it feels like a special occasion when it's dry out.

Re: who's roastin?, bitch about the heat wave here [turneej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turneej wrote:
Seriously....rode this morning with a long sleeve jersey. It'll probably be 110 next week and back to 70 the week after. Wind has been pretty wicked too...gotta love Chicago...

yeah....wind has been brutal. I haven't been training much due to plantar fasciitis, but the wind is wreaking havoc with some of my golf rounds!! Wink

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: who's roastin?, bitch about the heat wave here [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was running north from Ohio Street beach to Oak st. on Sunday and the wind was whipping through there. Luckily there was a larger man on a bicycle riding next to me at the same pace. I had zero shame about tucking in behind him on my run...

Superfly Coaching
http://www.superflycoaching.com/eric

IL PIRATA VI GUARDA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not going to bitch that it's hot because I choose to live here but I did head out for a run the other day when my car was stating the temp to be 118 degrees at start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It has literally murdered my lunch time runs and forced me to flip my run schedule with my swim schedule.

So now I'm going to the pool during my lunch break and fending off 400,000 children while i swim in one of the 3 lanes they have opened.

FML :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is apparently so hot that it has lead to the cancellation of the world's hottest race.

http://runningmagazine.ca/...orlds-hottest-races/

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: who's roastin?, bitch about the heat wave here [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was 118 when I ran the other day. I'm testing something to help you deal with the heat. A few more tweaks, and I'll try to get a patent.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ya,

dateline - Sacramento...

@ 3PM Just got back from doing intervals on the bike. My Polar read 109 - 113 (temp not HR!!!), (no BS) needless to say I didn't make it a long ride. But I count it as heat training.

Did track intervals at 11AM, don't know how hot it was, but, it was a tad warm :-|

I was up at 3AM for my work so no cool early AM workouts for me :-(

Enjoying the journey (in the MF'en oven)!

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
63 degrees in West Michigan right now.
Quote Reply
Re: who's roastin?, bitch about the heat wave here [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Badwater runners would laugh.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triple digits here (S. Utah) since mid-June. Of late, sunrise has been announcing its arrival like the snap of a cutting torch, leading to daytime highs that have ranged between 112-117 for the past week to 10 days. The forecast calls for cooling sometime next week. After that, the highs will probably be in the neighborhood of 105-110 for the balance of the summer.

Runs and rides happen between 5AM - 8AM. As an added bonus, this time of year, OWS feels sooo good.

No complaints though; 3+ months of toasty temps is worth it for the awesome weather throughout the rest of the year.

Stay cool!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wah. We had a record high of 96 yesterday. Wah. Running is tough after noon, we now can only ride & OW swim in the afternoon & evening ... Wah ... Its only getting down to 60 at night ...
... That said, AZ sure earns its famed perfect January road bike riding conditions with this s&$T from June to Sept ... Cannot imagine ...
Quote Reply

Prev Next