Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HUUB vs Roka
Quote | Reply
I know there have been some questions on both of these and I was on the market so got to try a couple of these suits out. Some quick feedback.

Customer Service - great on both

Look - both look pretty cool but I'm I find the Roka gives a bit of the 'superhero' look which I liked

Sizing - There are huge differences here. I have an athletic build (6'3/195lbs with 41 through chest). I tried the ML/L with the HUUB and the L with the Roka as Roka felt the ML would probably not work. The ML HUUB barely zipped up and when I breathed, the break away zipper opened. The ML fit me better through the body besides that and I found the L to be too big. The Roka fit perfectly in the L. I do find it lets a bit of water in however, not sure from where but when I stand up, the water comes out.

Material - The HUUB feels thiner in the upper body than the Roka but find the Roka to be more durable.

Feel - HUUB felt great in the upper body and really raised my legs a lot, almost too much (3:5). The Roka didn't feel quite as thin as the HUUB in the upper body but still great flexibility. I wasn't a big fan of the catch pannels on the Roka personally. Also, didn't notice the roll bars nor the crossover assistance with the HUUB.

Testing - So did some 100's with 20 sec rests in between. These were about 1 month apart. Long enough that I forgot what my times were but long enough that I became a better swimmer. HUUB's time avg'd 1:24-1:25 per 100m. Roka was 1:17-1:18 (to my surprise). To be honest, I thought it was slower and was debating keeping the HUUB or not based on what I thought was faster times but the Roka I liked it's construction/durability/fit a bit better. Needless to say after grabbing my swim times from Garmin it made this an easy decision. Feel free to shoot any questions. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but this worked for me.
Quote Reply
Re: HUUB vs Roka [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which wetsuits of each brand did you test?

Robert Vanderburg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tony5 wrote:
I know there have been some questions on both of these and I was on the market so got to try a couple of these suits out. Some quick feedback.

Customer Service - great on both

Look - both look pretty cool but I'm I find the Roka gives a bit of the 'superhero' look which I liked

Sizing - There are huge differences here. I have an athletic build (6'3/195lbs with 41 through chest). I tried the ML/L with the HUUB and the L with the Roka as Roka felt the ML would probably not work. The ML HUUB barely zipped up and when I breathed, the break away zipper opened. The ML fit me better through the body besides that and I found the L to be too big. The Roka fit perfectly in the L. I do find it lets a bit of water in however, not sure from where but when I stand up, the water comes out.

Material - The HUUB feels thiner in the upper body than the Roka but find the Roka to be more durable.

Feel - HUUB felt great in the upper body and really raised my legs a lot, almost too much (3:5). The Roka didn't feel quite as thin as the HUUB in the upper body but still great flexibility. I wasn't a big fan of the catch pannels on the Roka personally. Also, didn't notice the roll bars nor the crossover assistance with the HUUB.

Testing - So did some 100's with 20 sec rests in between. These were about 1 month apart. Long enough that I forgot what my times were but long enough that I became a better swimmer. HUUB's time avg'd 1:24-1:25 per 100m. Roka was 1:17-1:18 (to my surprise). To be honest, I thought it was slower and was debating keeping the HUUB or not based on what I thought was faster times but the Roka I liked it's construction/durability/fit a bit better. Needless to say after grabbing my swim times from Garmin it made this an easy decision. Feel free to shoot any questions. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but this worked for me.

#wow #science #knowledge #flapjack #sixpercent

Website
Contact me for Huub and Falco Discounts
Quote Reply
Re: HUUB vs Roka [tw3nty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tw3nty wrote:
Which wetsuits of each brand did you test?

I tested the 2 above (Roka and Huub) and the third was my old previous Xterra suit...as mentioned, not quite 'science' but my subjective testing was in line with what was just published in the Tri mag...see link...still using the Roka and happy with its durability with nearly 2 years use.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/...rmance-test_103117/1
Last edited by: Tony5: Oct 25, 14 5:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you still have both you should do a crossover test of them on back to back or over 3 days.
Swim the roka than huub next day swim the huub then roka. This eliminates fatigue and gives your data set meaning. Right now with your swim improvements you really can't tell which suit is faster or slower.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just did some #science myself. I've been curious about whether my Brooks are faster than Zoot shoes, so I took them to the track and did some sets of strides for time.

Look: My Brooks are black and red and make me look like more of a bad ass mother fucker. This helps me feel good about myself, because my ego is so fragile.

Feel: Both feel like shoes. However, my current profile photos are all taken wearing the brooks. Again, those shoes make me look like more of a "superhero". Also, I've been wearing them longer and have a stronger emotional connection to the Brooks than the Zoots which I only borrowed for one day.

Result: Amazingly, my Brooks shoes were 6% faster over the course of 10 strides with each shoe.

#science #flapmaths #wow #knowledge

Website
Contact me for Huub and Falco Discounts
Quote Reply
Re: HUUB vs Roka [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
If you still have both you should do a crossover test of them on back to back or over 3 days.
Swim the roka than huub next day swim the huub then roka. This eliminates fatigue and gives your data set meaning. Right now with your swim improvements you really can't tell which suit is faster or slower.

I tested similar to what you said. I did my 100's in one suit and then changed and did them in the other (Day 1). I then reversed the order the next day (Day 2 test) and did the same.

Following month did the same. As subjective as it is, it fell in line with the 'scientific' testing a year later that may satisfy Starksyandhutch :) a bit better. It's a lot of N=1 in wetsuits based on fit and swim stroke.

I think what would be more interesting is that next spring, 2yrs later, after dedicating training on the swim to see if I have the same results. I assume service will be same with both, but my stroke and body structure has changed so may give differernt results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you mean the two below? The link below only had the Roka Maverick pro in it. They didn't test a Huub? What Huub did you test? The link was the only thing below.

Robert Vanderburg
Quote Reply
Re: HUUB vs Roka [tw3nty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I corrected post...I tested the Archimedes....I think the compasion is a bit like which bike is best for me? A lot of it is fit dependant.

And your right, I remember reading the test and thought Huub was there as well, it wasn't...curious why now it wasn't?

Both were great for trying and comparing...If I were to get a new suit for next year, I would definitely test those 2 again and probably a couple of others....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marketing: Roka got a great early lead, but was passed by HUBB half way into the marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bad, I thought you tested one suit then a few weeks later tested the other suit.

Now I'm curious and may have to pit my Roka Maverick Pro against my HUUB Aerious.

If you do it again you should do longer swims 300-600 vs 100's. IMO after testing nearly 15 suits in 2 rounds of testing, 100's are a bit short, going longer helps tease out the differences between suits. You might find a lot of suits that are within .5sec of each other over 100. Is that a matter of how you finished the 100 and looked at the clock or is it that one is faster? (ie finishing with the body rolled towards or away from the clock)

In the first round of testing which was way more comprehensive (9-12 suits iirc)I did 2 sets of 400 each suit then swapped suits, in the second round (4 suits) I did 300 or 500 straight then swapped suits.
even at 400yds there were sometimes no time differences between suits. After 4x400 done in 2 rounds several avg'd <:05 difference for the 1600.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What’s the idea for a wetsuit?
For keeping warm? Or makes you faster?
I think so if you a good swimmer, just need a good wetsuit.
Try wetsuit for a better results is chatting...
good day
In Reply To:
Quote Reply