Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wahoo KICKR controls/data
Quote | Reply
Hopefully this is an easy answer. I use a Garmin HR strap and cadence sensor. My understanding is that the Wahoo app won't receive the HR or cadence data because it's ANT+ and not bluetooth. Am I correct in saying that in order for the app to receive the data I want I either have to buy a Bluetooth HR strap AND speed/cadence sensor, or the Wahoo Key? And the Wahoo Key will pick up anything ANT+? And how about if I use TrainerRoad... what does it require? I've never used it before but am considering it based on the reviews I've read here.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo KICKR controls/data [Buttercup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not sure about the Wahoo key but yes the only way for the app to get HR and cadence/speed is with bluetooth sensors. I have ANT+ sensors and just use my Edge 500 t record my ride while controlling with either the wahoo app or trainer road. The Kickr outputs its power data on both bluetooth and ANT+ so my edge picks it up. Trainer road supports ANT+ sensors so my ride data has that information, inorder to use it to control the kickr however you will withe need a Macbook with bluetooth or the bluetooth dongle. Hope this helps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you've invested the $$ in a KICKR, then getting a TrainerRoad subscription is a no-brainer. Works great (at least on a Mac), and with the right set-up (Mac w/Bluetooth Smart & the Garmin ANT+ stick) can control the KICKR and will show the ANT+ cadence/HR data as well.

If you're looking for an iOS-only solution, then there's Kinomap. You'll need the Wahoo Fitness Key to hook up your ANT+ sensors (cadence/HR.)
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo KICKR controls/data [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies. I do have a Garmin ANT+ stick, but my Mac doesn't have Bluetooth Smart. Can I still somehow connect TrainerRoad to the KICKR (without buying a new Mac, of course)?

I really wish there was a video somewhere showing the different configurations you can use to set up and control the KICKR!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buttercup wrote:
I do have a Garmin ANT+ stick, but my Mac doesn't have Bluetooth Smart. Can I still somehow connect TrainerRoad to the KICKR (without buying a new Mac, of course)?

Mine doesn't have the latest Bluetooth either, so I got an IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter and TrainerRoad sees & controls the KICKR as expected from the MacBook (with Mountain Lion OS.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that's an answer I like! Much more affordable than a new Mac ;) Thanks for all of the help. My KICKR should arrive at the end of this week and then I will see if I can get this all to come together for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PerfPro is also developing their app using the latest KICKR firmware that allows resistance to be controlled via Ant+. According to DCRainmaker, the Ant+ firmware has been provided to Trainerroad & Kinomap as well, but it may take a bit of time before 1) the firmware is released to the public, and 2) the apps are released.

I don't have my KICKR yet but I have the iogear bluetooth adapter for my macbook ready and waiting. The only thing I'm concerned with is how to make sure my laptop knows to use the adapter over the built in old-spec bluetooth.

Hopefully everything works out well for both of us!
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo KICKR controls/data [OldArmy07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This might be a silly question, but will any Bluetooth dongle work or does it need to be the iogear one? I have a FitBit, which came with and transfers data by a Bluetooth dongle. I actually didn't know that's what it was until I looked in to it earlier tonight. I couldn't find any specs though on what kind of Bluetooth it uses (are there different kinds?).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a fitbit too, and I asked the same question.

...the short answer is that I can't find anything conclusive. I'll post something on dcrainmaker's site and see if he can tell us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buttercup wrote:
This might be a silly question, but will any Bluetooth dongle work or does it need to be the iogear one? I have a FitBit, which came with and transfers data by a Bluetooth dongle.

The definitive way to find out? Launch TrainerRoad, bring up the Devices tab and scroll down. If there is a list of entries under the "Bluetooth Smart Devices" heading, then the system is happy with whatever gives it BT4.0 connectivity. If it reads "Bluetooth 4.0 is not supported on this device" and there is a "Search for Bluetooth 4.0" button, then the system is missing the required hardware for BT4.0. (If Bluetooth is disabled in the Bluetooth System Preference, the text will briefly read "Bluetooth is powered off.")

Another way to check is to launch the System Information app (under /Applications/Utilities) and look at the Hardware -> Bluetooth listing. If both "HCI Version" and "LMP Version" read "6 (0x6)", then the system supports Bluetooth 4.0 (either built-in or through a dongle.)

So far the IOGEAR GBU521 device (with a Broadcom BCM20702A0 chip) is the most widely reported working set-up, but potentially Plugable USB-BT4LE, Kinivo BTD-400, Medialink MUA-BA3, etc. could work as well. YMMV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the KICKR dialed in real well with PerfPRO Studio now via ANT+ using Wahoo's latest firmware. Both ERG/Power mode and Course mode run real well so all those workouts and courses that come w/ PerfPRO for the CompuTrainer also work w/ the KICKR. It's also allowing multiple KICKRs. With courses you can also adjust your road type (asphalt, gravel, etc) and wind speed (tail or head). Once you guys get a hold of this update and the feedback starts rolling in then it'll just keep getting better. Just did another power workout with the KICKR/Perfpro combination this morning and I'm quite pleased with everything.

If you have any questions let me know.

Thanks,
Drew
http://perfprostudio.com
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo KICKR controls/data [jetall3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the course mode allow you to pre-plan an entire course (i.e., include elevation/grade changes, etc.)?

Also, is there a new firmware for the KICKR? I haven't heard of any updates.

And for the OP, take a look at 4iiii viiiiva HR strap. Records and outputs in both ANT+ and BT. AND it takes your ANT+ data and re-transmits it as BT data or visa versa. REALLY cool and I'm glad I have it. Also costs about the same (maybe a little more) as a BT or ANT+ HR strap.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo KICKR controls/data [ajminn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can manually build up courses any way you want within PerfPRO. Studio is also compatible with just about any type of outdoor performance file so you can load your Garmin FIT/TCX files and ride that course. It'll also throw on a Pacer rider display if you want to ride against yourself. The install allows you to download my course pack, which contains around 700 courses.

The alternative is building up a Time/Grade workout so you ride gradients for a certain amount of time rather than distance. I've also created a MIX MODE workout file type that allows you ride both in ERG and course in the same workout. So you can ride at 85% FTP for 10mins then ride a 5% climb for 20mins, etc. Lots of options to work with.

As far as Wahoo's firmware update, what I'm using is not yet public, but should be fairly soon.

Drew.
http://perfprostudio.com
Last edited by: jetall3: Apr 29, 13 10:57
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo KICKR controls/data [jetall3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jetall3 wrote:
I have the KICKR dialed in real well with PerfPRO Studio now via ANT+ using Wahoo's latest firmware. … Just did another power workout with the KICKR/Perfpro combination this morning and I'm quite pleased with everything.
After downloading the app, trying to open it gives:

Quote:
You can't open the application "PerfPROSetup56505Studio.exe" because Microsoft Windows applications are not supported on OS X.
Also, the app doesn't appear to be available on the App Store for the iPad, either. Doesn't seem to be much use to the OP, then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct, PerfPRO is a Windows only application. It works quite well using Parallels v8.0 and Windows 7 on the Mac if you want to go that route.

Drew.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo KICKR controls/data [OldArmy07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finally got to test it today, and the answer is it doesn't work with the FitBit Bluetooth dongle.
Quote Reply