Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The GP4000S tested pretty well for me...
Quote | Reply
Tested 3 tires today: http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/2013/04/more-roller-testing-results.html

1. Continental GP4000S 23C - new tire, only ~20 miles on the road, latex tube - "on road" Crr predicted to be .0034

2. Specialized All Condition Pro II 23C - well worn, "out of print", butyl tube (to reflect typical use) - "on road" Crr predicted to be .0062

3. Specialized All Condition Armadillo Reflect 25C - well worn, butyl tube (to reflect typical use) - "on road" Crr predicted to be a whopping .0077

That's a really good result for the GP4000S. That puts it basically in a tie with the 20C SuperSonic in my testing. Not bad...I have a suspicion that Conti keeps making this tire faster and faster somehow...

That All Condition Armadillo is a regular garden hose! One of the few times I've actually broken a sweat during roller testing just to keep it rolling...no lie.

Here are my overall charts of predicted Crr and 2 tire power as they currently stand:

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Jul 11, 13 16:09
Quote Reply
Re: The GP4000S tested pretty well for me... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dammit. I bought an R4 Aero for my FLO 60 front a year or so ago based on the hope that it would be the most aero choice as well as having quite low Crr. And now it looks like the GP4000S is better on both counts. Ah well.
Quote Reply
Re: The GP4000S tested pretty well for me... [asad137] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>Dammit. I bought an R4 Aero for my FLO 60 front a year or so ago based on the hope that it would be the most aero choice as well as having quite low Crr. And now it looks like the GP4000S is better on both counts.

If your tire isn't done after a year, you need to get out and ride more! Race wheels or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for doing this Tom. Glad to see tires I think are fast, are actually fast. I've been using the 4000s' for 2 seasons, and they've proven quite durable.

Any idea how the force/attack tires compare? They should be very similar I would think - just not sure about their durability...I may try a set on my next tire order.

Why are the numbers of the top 2 Vittoria tires equal but the bar of the triathlon slightly shorter? Or maybe I'm just seeing things...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect you got one of the rare, fast GP4000s similar to rruff's results with the Attack.
Last edited by: Nick_Barkley: Apr 5, 13 19:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome info and more evidence the 4000s is the best all around tire out right now. I just replaced the Mavic Yksion tires and butyl tubes that came on my new bike with 4000s and latex tubes. I don't know if I will be able to keep up with my bike now. By the way, not that anyone cares since the Yksion tires suck so bad, but the Powerlink is for the rear and the Griplink is for the front. I suspect they have different construction and would have different Crr, but as mentioned, I don't think anyone is going to give a shit about that minor fact. However, it would affect the total watts required in the second graph.

Is anybody running latex tubes for their everyday tubes? This is my first time with them. I have read a lot of the threads debating whether they are more prone to flats and it seems to be an arguable point either way. I am riding with a spare butyl tube in my jersey, but wondered how many others are riding on them all of the time.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for doing this Tom! This makes front tire choice for a TT relatively easy. No real need to pick the supersonic and be constantly worried about flatting.
Quote Reply
Re: The GP4000S tested pretty well for me... [ktj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ktj wrote:
Why are the numbers of the top 2 Vittoria tires equal but the bar of the triathlon slightly shorter? Or maybe I'm just seeing things...

Rounding. The length of the bars is based on the absolute value of the calculation, but I only show the Crr out to 4 digits. I just think there's too much uncertainty in the calculations to go out further than that.

I would consider anything within .0001-.0002 on that chart to be basically "tied".

Quote Reply
Re: The GP4000S tested pretty well for me... [Landyachtz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Landyachtz wrote:
Thanks for doing this Tom! This makes front tire choice for a TT relatively easy. No real need to pick the supersonic and be constantly worried about flatting.

That depends on the width of your wheel. For example, I'd still use the 20C SuperSonic on my narrow Jet 90...but, if I had an 808 or a Flo90 I'd probably use the GP4000 (or, possibly the Vittoria Tri, depending on what we see soon from the Flo boys).

Quote Reply
Re: The GP4000S tested pretty well for me... [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregtryin wrote:
Awesome info and more evidence the 4000s is the best all around tire out right now. I just replaced the Mavic Yksion tires and butyl tubes that came on my new bike with 4000s and latex tubes. I don't know if I will be able to keep up with my bike now. By the way, not that anyone cares since the Yksion tires suck so bad, but the Powerlink is for the rear and the Griplink is for the front. I suspect they have different construction and would have different Crr, but as mentioned, I don't think anyone is going to give a shit about that minor fact. However, it would affect the total watts required in the second graph.

Just to be clear, the Yksion tire I show in that list is the NEW tubular that was released with the CXR80 "system", considering that it's made for them by a tire company that begins with the letter "T", it's probably slower than the previous Yksion versions like you used.

gregtryin wrote:
Is anybody running latex tubes for their everyday tubes? This is my first time with them. I have read a lot of the threads debating whether they are more prone to flats and it seems to be an arguable point either way. I am riding with a spare butyl tube in my jersey, but wondered how many others are riding on them all of the time.

I do. My experience is that as long your rim tape is "pristine" and installation technique adequate, they basically puncture at the same rate as butyl tubes (whatever would puncture butyl will puncture latex), but tend to "pinch" flat less (i.e. from hitting hard edges).

Quote Reply
Re: The GP4000S tested pretty well for me... [asad137] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asad137 wrote:
Dammit. I bought an R4 Aero for my FLO 60 front a year or so ago based on the hope that it would be the most aero choice as well as having quite low Crr. And now it looks like the GP4000S is better on both counts. Ah well.

I wouldn't be too bummed...you're really only giving up a few watts total (Crr plus drag). Probably no more than 2W or so overall (depending on the wheel, of course) if your JUST talking about front wheel differences.

Quote Reply
Re: The GP4000S tested pretty well for me... [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Is anybody running latex tubes for their everyday tubes?

yes...not only do i run latex tubes every day...but I also use conti gp 4000s' every day. If anything, i've gotten less fl_ts (i've only had 1 since running this combo all the time...knock on wood).

I've started using a 20mm gp 4000 on my front all the time (with latex), as it is what I'm planning on using on my Hed 3. I'd be curious what the numbers for the 20 vs 23mm is (hint...hint).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the vittoria evo slick the same tire as the vittoria open corsa evo cx?

Great chart and thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: The GP4000S tested pretty well for me... [mcycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcycle wrote:
Is the vittoria evo slick the same tire as the vittoria open corsa evo cx?

Great chart and thank you.

No. Different tread compound and no tread pattern (i.e. "slick")

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you or will you test the open corsa evo cx?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate that conti has the ability to make such a great tire, but they choose to use butyl tubes in their tubulars. I love the gp4000s on my clincher wheels (training and race wheels) but I would also use them on my other race tubies if they would only switch to latex. For now, I'll keep my vittoria tubies I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: The GP4000S tested pretty well for me... [sxevegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sxevegan wrote:
I hate that conti has the ability to make such a great tire, but they choose to use butyl tubes in their tubulars. I love the gp4000s on my clincher wheels (training and race wheels) but I would also use them on my other race tubies if they would only switch to latex. For now, I'll keep my vittoria tubies I guess.

There's another solution to your "problem", you know ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: The GP4000S tested pretty well for me... [mcycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcycle wrote:
Have you or will you test the open corsa evo cx?

Thanks

I could...I've got a really old one on a wheel somewhere in the garage, I think. That said, they've been tested to heck (AFM, Tour, etc.) so I don't think I'd add much new info.

Plus, I'm not a big fan of how those tires "handle", so I'm not super motivated to see how they roll.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So for my Hed 3's, should I keep usin the narrower Zipp Tangent 21 or the better rolling resistance GP4000? Or is it six of one, half dozen of the other?
Quote Reply
Re: The GP4000S tested pretty well for me... [tpero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tpero wrote:
So for my Hed 3's, should I keep usin the narrower Zipp Tangent 21 or the better rolling resistance GP4000? Or is it six of one, half dozen of the other?

Clincher? I'd use either 20C Conti SuperSonics or the older Bontrager AeroWing TT 19Cs, if you can find them (I actually have a couple of new ones in my stash I might be persuaded to get rid of). The H3 REALLY needs a narrow tire for decent aerodynamics. It was designed around a 19C tire.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for doing this, Tom. Say, any chance you might test a black GP 4000 (sans the "s") so we can learn if it really is essentially the same as a GP 4000s. It's important to us 650c folks since we can get a 4000 but not a 4000s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Tested 3 tires today: http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/2013/04/more-roller-testing-results.html

1. Continental GP4000S 23C - new tire, only ~20 miles on the road, latex tube - "on road" Crr predicted to be .0034

2. Specialized All Condition Pro II 23C - well worn, "out of print", butyl tube (to reflect typical use) - "on road" Crr predicted to be .0062

3. Specialized All Condition Armadillo Reflect 25C - well worn, butyl tube (to reflect typical use) - "on road" Crr predicted to be a whopping .0077

That's a really good result for the GP4000S. That puts it basically in a tie with the 20C SuperSonic in my testing. Not bad...I have a suspicion that Conti somehow keeps making this tire faster and faster somehow...

That All Condition Armadillo is a regular garden hose! One of the few times I've actually broken a sweat during roller testing just to keep it rolling...no lie.

Here are my overall charts of predicted Crr and 2 tire power as they currently stand:

Tom,

With you data and our data we are soon to release, Conti should be paying us ;)

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: The GP4000S tested pretty well for me... [bobby11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bobby11 wrote:
Thanks for doing this, Tom. Say, any chance you might test a black GP 4000 (sans the "s") so we can learn if it really is essentially the same as a GP 4000s. It's important to us 650c folks since we can get a 4000 but not a 4000s.

I've actually been "encouraging" Greg Kopecky on FB to see if he could contact someone at Continental to find out the answer to that one ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
tpero wrote:

Clincher? I'd use either 20C Conti SuperSonics or the older Bontrager AeroWing TT 19Cs, if you can find them (I actually have a couple of new ones in my stash I might be persuaded to get rid of). The H3 REALLY needs a narrow tire for decent aerodynamics. It was designed around a 19C tire.

Yeah haven't ever been able to find 19mm and I went with the zipps over super sonics due to durability (based on reviews). Thanks for the input, I may try persuading you...
Quote Reply

Prev Next