Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
weird garmin 910xt issue - records pace but not distance
Quote | Reply
so in my race last weekend, my garmin 901xt was set to auto multisport mode. It worked fine on the swim, I didn't look at it while on the bike, but when I started running it showed avg pace of 00:00 - I checked satellites and it had full signal. I stopped auto mutlisport and restarted in just run mode. same issue. I then just ignored it and ran according to feel. Zero pace and zero distance shown.

However, when I downloaded my file, it showed a single run (not 2 files) of the correct time, and it had recorded my pace for the whole run. Yet the distance was zero. None of this really makes sense - since it would need to know the distance to know the pace. It's pretty annoying when you have glitches like that in a race - not the end of the world but the thing works perfectly all year then on race day decides to do something funky.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: weird garmin 910xt issue - records pace but not distance [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a foot pod ?

I assume that you have your bike sensors sync with you watch ?

Just trying to figure out where your data could come from...

Cedric
Quote Reply
Re: weird garmin 910xt issue - records pace but not distance [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you hit the lap button after the swim?
Quote Reply
Re: weird garmin 910xt issue - records pace but not distance [lcaspi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't wearing a foot pod, the watch is in sync with the bike, but my issue was on the run

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: weird garmin 910xt issue - records pace but not distance [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Burnt Toast wrote:
Did you hit the lap button after the swim?

yes, hit lap after T1, and after the bike, and after T2. Then again to finish mutlisport because pace was 00:00, reset and started a normal run workout, still showed 00:00

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PS - here is the file it generated. As you can see it shows pace on the file. very strange

http://tpks.ws/H6Zx

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is really weird... did you try and other multi sport test ?
Quote Reply
Re: weird garmin 910xt issue - records pace but not distance [lcaspi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did try while still in mexico - haven't tried it since being back in the states. I'll give it a whirl today and see what happens. The weird thing is I tested it the day before just to make sure and it was fine. And it worked 100% fine on the swim during the race (recorded pace, distance everything).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It appears to be a problem with firmware version 2.7 and OWS as the first event. Looks like if you call your first event a run, it will work. Then you just have to change that back to a swim after upload.
Quote Reply
Re: weird garmin 910xt issue - records pace but not distance [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't have the chance to try the OWS, Bike, Run in multi sport yet. Good to know.

I hope that we get the 2.8 update before summer.

Cedric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim:

T1:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This appears to be an issue that effects certain people's 910xt after it has been updated to 2.7 firmware. The bug is being discussed the Garmin forums. I lost my bike and run data at San Juan 70.3

The main symptom appears when using the unit in Multi-Sport mode that has an open water swim, the Latitude and Longitude of the segments after the swim (T1, Bike, T2 and Run) will be 0,0 (which happens to be off the west coast of Africa in the Gulf of Guinea). You will not get mile spits or other distance based reminders while it's happening.

I suspect It has not effected a lot of people yet as the 2.7 firmware was released on November 28th, which is off-season for most of the Northern Hemisphere. It would not surprise me at all if good handfull of people come back from Oceanside 70.3 this weekend and post here about this problem.

Apparently, Garmin is not saying there's a problem and are not offering a "downgrade to 2.6". I have come up with a (non-Garmin approved) solution to send the 2.6 firmware to the 910xt if you are experiencing this problem. I've got a walkthrough set up on this page: https://dl.dropbox.com/.../910xt-firmware.html.

The Garmin forum thread about the issue is here (for continuity sake, I'm JUMPSERVE in the Garmin forums):
https://forums.garmin.com/...-in-multisport-mode/

Also, If you don't mind me asking, can you please post your Unit ID (leave the last number or two as 'X' for anonymity), I'm compiling a list of units that had this problem with the 2.7 firmware.

I'm just this guy ya know?
Quote Reply
Re: weird garmin 910xt issue - records pace but not distance [blanco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks - good info - unit is 2HL0963xx

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
... unit is 2HL0963xx

Hmmm ... that's very different from the other Unit IDs I've collected so far.

384166469X
384427126X
385761368X
38596775XX
38596775XX

* To get your Unit ID: Turn on your 910xt. Hit MODE, arrow down to “settings”, hit ENTER. Arrow down to “About Forerunner”, hit ENTER. Note the software version (it should be 2.7) and write down the Unit ID number.

Quote Reply
Re: weird garmin 910xt issue - records pace but not distance [blanco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ah right - yes ok got it now

38461796XX

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
Has anyone else had this issue?

Yep, or at least a very similar issue: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...n_910_Fail_P4456867/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This happens to me, not just in multisport mode.

If I swim or bike without GPS and press stop and hold reset to save the activity, no matter what I do after selecting run (turn watch off before, after, don't turn it off, select run before off / after off etc etc) it doesn't record distance. I have to start, stop, rest three or four times to get distance to record.

Happens since 2.7

I followed the document linked on the Garmin Forum to reset to 2.6. Now works ok.

Pretty annoying!

id: 38547513xx
Quote Reply
Re: weird garmin 910xt issue - records pace but not distance [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:

... snip ...

Wow, a new twist to the problem, I've added your unit id to the document. Glad the 2.6 instructions got your unit working again.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It did, and thanks for posting it.
Quote Reply
Re: weird garmin 910xt issue - records pace but not distance [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:

If I swim or bike without GPS and press stop and hold reset to save the activity, no matter what I do after selecting run (turn watch off before, after, don't turn it off, select run before off / after off etc etc) it doesn't record distance. I have to start, stop, rest three or four times to get distance to record.

Happens since 2.7

I followed the document linked on the Garmin Forum to reset to 2.6. Now works ok.

Pretty annoying!

BlueFever, I have the same problem as described by Blanco. I haven't reset to 2.6 but plan to.

id: 38446267xx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same problem. Thanks for posting!

Unit ID is 38485898XX
Quote Reply
Re: weird garmin 910xt issue - records pace but not distance [Undies2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Undies2 wrote:

Unit ID is 38485898XX

Sorry to hear you're having the problem. I hope the 2.6 "sidegrade" works for you. I've added your Unit ID to "The List"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My experience sounds exactly like the original poster's. No pace or distance after open water swim in Multisport mode for my Half last weekend.

Will try "sidegrade". Thanks!

Software Version: 2.70 Unit ID: 38471781xx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blanco wrote:
Undies2 wrote:

Unit ID is 38485898XX

Sorry to hear you're having the problem. I hope the 2.6 "sidegrade" works for you. I've added your Unit ID to "The List"

What are you doing with this list?

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: weird garmin 910xt issue - records pace but not distance [irncpl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
irncpl wrote:
blanco wrote:

What are you doing with this list?

The list is at the bottom of the downgrade document. I mask the last digit or two with an x for anonymity. It's not at all required to use the downgrade.

I started collecting Unit IDs as I thought it might have been possible to correlate a batch of units with this issue. That has proven to be false, so now it's just something we can present to garmin to show them that it does _not_ occur in rare and single instances.

I think it can also help to let people know that they're not alone with this problem and they didn't do anthing wrong.

Quote Reply

Prev Next