Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ultimate Direction AK Race or SJ Ultra vest?
Quote | Reply
Anyone try these out yet? Wondering how the water feels carried in front.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultimate Direction AK Race or SJ Ultra vest? [caf0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a thread on this on an ultra mailing list I'm on. The end result was a suggestion to order both and give them a try. I personally like the idea of the bottles on the chest but the placement probably wouldn't work for me because they'd be right on top of my boobs. Might not be a problem in your case ;-)

You can't slide the water bottle holders up and down from what I can tell.

One excellent point that was made about the bottles is that they are easier to monitor your intake than a bladder.

If you decide to get one, let me know what you think.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Ultimate Direction AK Race or SJ Ultra vest? [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
There was a thread on this on an ultra mailing list I'm on. The end result was a suggestion to order both and give them a try. I personally like the idea of the bottles on the chest but the placement probably wouldn't work for me because they'd be right on top of my boobs. Might not be a problem in your case ;-)

You can't slide the water bottle holders up and down from what I can tell.

One excellent point that was made about the bottles is that they are easier to monitor your intake than a bladder.

I'm also female, so definitely a point of concern. I read one review from a female who loved it, said not an issue. For her. More data points would be lovely, but I'm not the patient type...

I'm contemplating trying my 1st ultra. Even if my knees won't hold up for that abuse, I could still use it on my daily dog trail runs. I like the visibility and quick-fill features of the bottles. I'll let you know my thoughts if I get one.

Cheers,
Cathy
Quote Reply
Re: Ultimate Direction AK Race or SJ Ultra vest? [caf0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did notice the SJ comes in three sizes whereas the AK only comes in two.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I did notice the SJ comes in three sizes whereas the AK only comes in two.

Ok, I found some more reviews. The SJ Ultra has sizing issues (don't go by chart plus no overlap for M/L) and also lacks side adjustment straps (which ironically the AK Race has) probably needed by most for stability. So if going to buy soon, AK is more likely to work. They'll probably fix the Ultra sooner rather than later, I'd think. Until then ... it fits or it doesn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I ordered two sizes in the SJ Ultra. The S fit my ribs but not my chest. The M fit my chest but (you guessed it) the bottom belt didn't even make contact w/ my ribs - no stability.
If the M tightened around the ribs, I believe the bottle placement would have been fine for running. As it is, I sadly returned both.
If one's rib and chest measurements both fall within the same S/M/L size, it might just work.

I'll give the race vest a try when it becomes available (currently sold out, not expected for 2 months). It uses a different adjustment system at the bottom, more versatile.
Enjoy the trails.
Quote Reply