Quantcast
    MAIN INDEX RULES & LEGEND LOG IN  

Slowtwitch Forums: Triathlon Forum:
Picture- Used Cannondale Slice 5- Crack in the Carbon

 

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All  


Feny

Dec 6, 12 17:50

Post #26 of 42 (1687 views)
Re: Picture- Used Cannondale Slice 5- Crack in the Carbon [nightfend] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Ok, great news! Went to a respected shop and got a clean bill of health. The shop speculates that the long stem was jammed downward and caused a small fracture; however they didn't feel like it was a significant issue.

Thanks to everyone for their advice..

Also confirmed that the rest of the bike was in new condition and had < 50 miles as reported by the seller.

Monkey off the back


Herbie Handcock

Dec 6, 12 18:57

Post #27 of 42 (1630 views)
Re: Picture- Used Cannondale Slice 5- Crack in the Carbon [Feny] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

"however they didn't feel like it was a significant issue."

When your frame cracks in pieces you can always call the lawyer that sold you the cracked frame to sue the bike shop that thought a crack in a carbon frame was not a significant issue. Only in America.


PeteDin206

Dec 6, 12 20:02

Post #28 of 42 (1584 views)
Re: Picture- Used Cannondale Slice 5- Crack in the Carbon [Herbie Handcock] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Herbie Handcock wrote:
"however they didn't feel like it was a significant issue."

When your frame cracks in pieces you can always call the lawyer that sold you the cracked frame to sue the bike shop that thought a crack in a carbon frame was not a significant issue. Only in America.

+1... No offense to the OP, but if you don't go get your money back, you are asking for trouble... It isn't a matter of if it will fail, but when.


Mr.Pie

Dec 6, 12 20:53

Post #29 of 42 (1563 views)
Re: Picture- Used Cannondale Slice 5- Crack in the Carbon [Feny] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Feny wrote:
Ok, great news! Went to a respected shop and got a clean bill of health. The shop speculates that the long stem was jammed downward and caused a small fracture; however they didn't feel like it was a significant issue.

Thanks to everyone for their advice..

Also confirmed that the rest of the bike was in new condition and had < 50 miles as reported by the seller.

Monkey off the back

if you bought the bike from them I would expect that they would think it is a significant issue.
As others just said....its not a matter if it will fail; but when.
Besides, you said the shop speculated. Its not fact and I would take that speculation with a pinch of salt.

You might not regret demanding that refund from that guy you bought the slice off, but when you're in a serious accident who's to blame when countless here have given you advice what to do!


nickwisconsin

Dec 6, 12 22:53

Post #30 of 42 (1521 views)
Re: Picture- Used Cannondale Slice 5- Crack in the Carbon [Feny] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Feny wrote:
Ok, great news! Went to a respected shop and got a clean bill of health. The shop speculates that the long stem was jammed downward and caused a small fracture; however they didn't feel like it was a significant issue.

Thanks to everyone for their advice..

Also confirmed that the rest of the bike was in new condition and had < 50 miles as reported by the seller.

Monkey off the back

He stopped riding it after 50 miles because he jammed the seatpost down and cracked the frame. He isn't stupid.


tamiii

Dec 7, 12 5:36

Post #31 of 42 (1455 views)
Re: Picture- Used Cannondale Slice 5- Crack in the Carbon [Feny] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

How much did you pay for it on craigslist?
It sells for $1699 in a store in Chicago http://kozy.com/...ce-5-l4-130136-1.htm


Feny

Dec 7, 12 5:47

Post #32 of 42 (1444 views)
Re: Picture- Used Cannondale Slice 5- Crack in the Carbon [tamiii] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

1200 for the bike, peddles, and really nice specialized carbon tri shoes


Doubletime

Dec 7, 12 6:29

Post #33 of 42 (1420 views)
Re: Picture- Used Cannondale Slice 5- Crack in the Carbon [SurfingLamb] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

SurfingLamb wrote:
A DC sticker on a slice with no other sponsors or stickers, and it just happens to be covering a crack?

Yeah, you got screwed. He knows there's a crack and intentionally hid it from you. My guess is that he's a ghost to you now and you'll never hear from him again.

Keyser Söze is now selling used Tri bikes.
---------------------------------------------------------
- Nothing to see here. Move on.


realAlbertan

Dec 7, 12 6:33

Post #34 of 42 (1410 views)
Re: Picture- Used Cannondale Slice 5- Crack in the Carbon [Mr.Pie] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

They claim to fix.snapped tubes a crack should.be simple.
___________________________________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/...eoesophageal_fistula
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebral_palsy
Canadian Record Holder 35-39M - 400 & 1500 m Freestyle/200 m Butterfly


kanebikes

Dec 7, 12 11:41

Post #35 of 42 (1340 views)
Re: Picture- Used Cannondale Slice 5- Crack in the Carbon [Feny] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Feny,

Welcome to the board. Your LBS is correct in thinking that the long seat post was jammed too far down. We see it happen. Your frame is cracked. From that one picture and if you keep the bike, you should be okay. Where it's situated, it wouldn't be catastrophic if it grew during a ride. Mark the area and see if the crack grows. If it does, it needs to be repaired!!

I hope you can return it.

---------------------------------------------------
Custom Irish themed Cervelo P3: http://kanebikes.com/...ons/cervelo-p3-irish
http://www.kanebikes.com/ || Road & Triathlon Bicycles. Custom Painting. Carbon Repair. Restoration. HQ'd in North Carolina


snackchair

Dec 7, 12 11:51

Post #36 of 42 (1322 views)
Re: Picture- Used Cannondale Slice 5- Crack in the Carbon [Feny] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Feny wrote:
Ok, great news! Went to a respected shop and got a clean bill of health. The shop speculates that the long stem was jammed downward and caused a small fracture; however they didn't feel like it was a significant issue.

Thanks to everyone for their advice..

Also confirmed that the rest of the bike was in new condition and had < 50 miles as reported by the seller.

Monkey off the back

1200 is definitely not a good enough deal. I would absolutely try to get my money back.
___________________
Twitter | Kancman | Blog


bob_nohope

Dec 7, 12 15:43

Post #37 of 42 (1239 views)
Re: Picture- Used Cannondale Slice 5- Crack in the Carbon [Feny] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

The alternative is to get a quote for a repair and ask the seller for a partial refund to fully cover the repair job. If he has any conscience (lawyer you say eh?) he'll conceed and you'll both be in a decent situation even if he meets you half-way. One problem is if the repair job costs more than the frame.....


ctbrian

Dec 7, 12 18:58

Post #38 of 42 (1182 views)
Re: Picture- Used Cannondale Slice 5- Crack in the Carbon [bob_nohope] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Why would you want to hang onto this frame? Ask for your money back. Besides, seller knew about this and should have told you.


JesseN

Dec 7, 12 23:11

Post #39 of 42 (1118 views)
Re: Picture- Used Cannondale Slice 5- Crack in the Carbon [Feny] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

If you do decide to get it repaired... I have used Ruckus Components out of Portland OR (http://www.ruckuscomponents.com) for carbon repair on my race bike in the past and was very impressed with their service. Their turnaround is much faster than Calfee and their prices are far more reasonable (and paint/finish is included - not a massive painful extra).


sharkbait_au

Dec 8, 12 3:37

Post #40 of 42 (1055 views)
Re: Picture- Used Cannondale Slice 5- Crack in the Carbon [Feny] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

It would seem to me that if the bike has done less than 50 miles the seller must have been aware of the damage. If he is an attorney, and you decide to confront him, then I would be very careful not to commit to anything in your conversations. It appears that he is slippery and could try to talk you out of your right to return. Perhaps the first thing you should do if you contact him is just to ask if he was aware of the damage, and leave it at that for the first communication. Reassess your options based on his answer. Tread carefully.

50 percent of what I say is only half the truth.


kdw

Dec 8, 12 4:46

Post #41 of 42 (1023 views)
Re: Picture- Used Cannondale Slice 5- Crack in the Carbon [sharkbait_au] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Yeah...as others have pointed out, there is a chance he didn't know about the crack. Of course, that chance is less than 1 in a million, but I'm saying there's a chance...

You will be able to confirm if he knew or not based on if he takes the bike back. If it weren't for the sticker, there would be the chance that the OP damaged the bike after receiving it, but if the sticker was there at the time of purchase, so was the crack.

If the seller tries to do anything other than offer a full refund, he is a horrible person.


Peraltitos

Dec 8, 12 19:14

Post #42 of 42 (921 views)
Re: Picture- Used Cannondale Slice 5- Crack in the Carbon [Feny] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

2nd hand carbon frame with a visible crack in the seat tube... hidden with a sticker?

Well, I hope the roads where you usually ride have no bumps and potholes...

I would not ride a carbon frame with a crack... unless I have no other option!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All  
 
 
 



America's ITU Prowess
Should ITU efforts in the U.S. be considered a success because of its winning women, or a failure because of its lack of consistent performances by its men?
Success
Failure
Both
More complicated
I don't care