Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powertap-What would you do with it?
Quote | Reply
I have a 24 spoke Powertap Pro+ hub that I am not using currently as I also have 2 training wheelsets with power hubs as well. I have been racing with a disc cover and also have an HED 3 front. I have been considering buying a mid depth carbon wheelset to do some road races on my road bike or my tri bike in ultra windy conditions. I am on the fence as the best way to get power when I do this and I don't have a ton of money to throw at this presently so used may be my only option. I understand that many carbon wheels cannot be laced with my Powertap unless they were drilled specifically for one and I don't really want carbon braketracks if I can avoid it(clinchers only of course). In talking to my LBS they said they do not have what they need to build my hub in carbon wheel also. Most versatile option but probably most expensive is buy a crank with power to replace my road bike crank and buy a wheelset without power. Only tricky part to this is if I wanted to use wheelset on my tribike and have power then I have to switch the crank which would happen to need to be BBright compatible to fit both bikes and makes used options somewhat limited. Next would be to buy a wheelset with hub already included and sell my hub outright. Cheapest, I assume would be to buy a used wheelset that can accept my hub and have it dropped in by a shop. What would you do? Also, do anyone know of a shop that would do the build for me if I am supplying the rim and hub which does mail-in business? Suggestions.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap-What would you do with it? [ppp156a] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
- Crank based PM with 24mm spindle such as DuraAce SRM or suitable Quarq
- BBright adapter for bike with oversized BB like this: http://wheelsmfg.com/...-shimano-cranks.html

Takes less than two minutes to swap crank between bikes and you can use any wheelsets on either bike.

-Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd probably sell one of the training sets (you don't need 2) and the extra hub. Then use those funds to help purchase a mid-depth rear wheel with power (used).

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can pick up a used Zipp or SRAM rim (or wheel) on ebay for not too much. Almost certain Wheel Builder will do the build with parts you supply.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the market for a 24 spoke PT hub if the price is right.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap-What would you do with it? [Dave_Ryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had thought about this angle but would like to be BB30 on tri bike so felt like it was better than stay SRAM or Rotor.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap-What would you do with it? [QRNub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea what wheels can be used without them having special drilling? Is it basically any wheel that has exposed(external) nipples will work?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, you've got it right. Hed, Flo, Cosmic carbones use a non structural fairing with holes for the spokes to pass through. With exposed nipples, the issue is avoided.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, pretty much
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are looking to launch a PowerTap loyalty upgrade program that would be the perfect solution for you. Basically, if you have a PowerTap wheel and you want to upgrade it to the latest technology (G3 platform- smaller, lighter, stronger, faster, etc) send it to us and we will give you a ridiculously good deal on that upgrade. We will even allow you to purchase a second wheelset (think race wheelset) at the same ridiculously good price. If youre interested shoot me your contact info and I will get the ball rolling for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap-What would you do with it? [CycleOpsTech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may be interested and it's a smart idea for your company. Please post details.

jamie
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap-What would you do with it? [JamieJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JamieJ wrote:
I may be interested and it's a smart idea for your company. Please post details.

jamie

+ 2
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap-What would you do with it? [JamieJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you send me your contact info and I will get you all the relevant details.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I laced an extra wired PT into a Zipp 440. I did have to get all new spokes.

It's fun to ride a light carbon wheel w/power on my road bike; useful for hillclimb TTs. I'm a bit paranoid about wrecking in Crash 4 racing so I don't think I'd use it there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have all the extra wheels and hubs you do, but kind of in the same boat without limitless funds for numerous wheels. I would also recommend selling the PT hub and one of the PT wheelsets. In fact you could probably do away with both wheelsets and find a good mid-depth carbon set with a PT and use it for training and racing. I would prefer to race on the wheels I train on. And get an aero cover for even better aero capabilities. That's my plan so I can switch the wheels between my tri bike and my road/cx bike too.

--------------------------------------------------
Non-Swimming Duathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. PMed you my contact info and a question I had about another issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go ahead and just PM me here. Why the secrecy with personal email?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't PM - could you send info to me? 799pc@sbcglobal.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't PM as well. Please send details to p.bucay@comcast.net

Thanks!
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm interested in the program as well. Can you forward the details to kjbor@comcast.net

thnx -
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do we get in touch with you? Looking for that email address.

I have a PT that is second hand to me. But needing / wanting to be ANT+ compliant - keeping up with the Jones's and my sons. [At least wishing that I could keep them in sight.]
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap-What would you do with it? [TouringMN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for reaching out. We have a good option to update you to ANT+ by removing your old torque tube and replacing it with new G3 electronics, which includes new bearings, freehub body, axle, end caps, etc. You get all of the new features and benefits of the latest technology at a fraction of the price of new.

Please reach out to support@powertap.com for your options.
Quote Reply