Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMAZ "Cheating"...?

What constitutes "Cheating"…?

I was at IMAZ this weekend to watch several friends race..GREAT TIME!!! Around three months ago one particular friend started posting on Instagram/FB how he was suddenly going to IMAZ. I assumed this was a charity spot since I knew it soldout in a matter of minutes. Last week I found out this person was going to race under another person's bib number. Apparently, the person who registered didn't feel like racing but didn't want his registration to go to waste and approached the presient of his tri club to see if anyone wanted it. One of my friends was offered the bib but declined, he didn't feel it was right since it was against WTC rules, the other friend accepted. Fast forward to Thursday, person flies to Phoenix, checks-in and hands over his bib. This starts sinking in and I'm starting to have some real problems with this, more so than I was having earlier in the week, probably because this is the first time I'm realizing the enormity of a WTC/IM event. As we are walking around race day, we actually run in the person who didn't feel like racing, he's jolly as Santa Claus walking around with his camera equipment….WTF!!!

As the day goes on I'm just getting pissed. Why, because this goes against WTC rules. I'm grappling with is this cheating or not. I feel it is. So I ask several people thier opinion. One response I received, "WTC has the audacity to ask for money a YEAR in advance, what happens if I get injured…money goes to waste. They make enough money they won't miss it, it's unfair they do that anyway….." My response "it's their race, they make the rules, if you don't like them or are worried about injury or life happening then you have the option not to sign up, there are plenty of other events you can do…." Another argument I received when asked their finish time of 12+ hrs.. "oh well he's a MOP, since he's not qualifying for Kona it doesn't matter. MOP/BOP don't' really matter." Again, WTF!!!! Dude really, are you fucking kidding me MOP or BOP don't matter?? Just because someone isn't qualifying for Kona doesn't mean their overall ranking in div, doesn't matter to them. Another example is the now infamous "T3" scandal…supposedly she was just a few minutes off from the 500,000 IM finisher, could you imagine if she was!!! What a mess that would have been, same goes for racing under another persons name. I don't even want to think had this person racing IMAZ been in an accident.

Now I'll be honest here, my emotions are a little involved on what to do. This person is a little bit of a pompous douche. All he ever talks about how he never gets passed on the bike and how fast he is. In fact as soon as he finished he was gloating about only 5 people passed him on the bike (yeah, he counted…WTF) what he failed to recognize was it was because everyone passed him on the swim (ok, that's me being mean, but still). This person is bragging about racing posting pics of his finishers medals including IMAZ. He's also a founding member of a group who "inspires athletes". I guess he's encouraging and inspiring athletes all over the world to partake in breaking the rules.

My question to all of you is, do you consider racing under another persons bib a form of cheating?

PLEASE DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A LANCE THREAD!!!

EDIT: I want to make myself clear the actions of both original bib owner and the person who raced are equally in question. I do not know if these two people are friends or acquaintances. This transaction was facilitated by the president of their tri club, who also raced this weekend.

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Last edited by: KyraMorgan: Nov 20, 12 12:27

Re: IMAZ "Cheating"...? [KyraMorgan] [ In reply to ]

There are a hell of a lot of dickheads who do stuff like this in the triathlon world.You can either "out him" here on ST and let the lynch mob shame him publicly or you can let it go...

---

Not sure if it is "cheating" , but it is definitely wrong and a serious infraction. If you know for a fact he is encouraging others to do the same, this should be nipped in the bud and I know what I would do w/o hesitation.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

KyraMorgan wrote:

I was at IMAZ this weekend to watch several friends race..GREAT TIME!!! Around three months ago one particular friend started posting on Instagram/FB how he was suddenly going to IMAZ. I assumed this was a charity spot since I knew it soldout in a matter of minutes. Last week I found out this person was going to race under another person's bib number. Apparently, the person who registered didn't feel like racing but didn't want his registration to go to waste and approached the presient of his tri club to see if anyone wanted it. One of my friends was offered the bib but declined, he didn't feel it was right since it was against WTC rules, the other friend accepted. Fast forward to Thursday, person flies to Phoenix, checks-in and hands over his bib. This starts sinking in and I'm starting to have some real problems with this, more so than I was having earlier in the week, probably because this is the first time I'm realizing the enormity of a WTC/IM event. As we are walking around race day, we actually run in the person who didn't feel like racing, he's jolly as Santa Claus walking around with his camera equipment….WTF!!!

As the day goes on I'm just getting pissed. Why, because this goes against WTC rules. I'm grappling with is this cheating or not. I feel it is. So I ask several people thier opinion. One response I received, "WTC has the audacity to ask for money a YEAR in advance, what happens if I get injured…money goes to waste. They make enough money they won't miss it, it's unfair they do that anyway….." My response "it's their race, they make the rules, if you don't like them or are worried about injury or life happening then you have the option not to sign up, there are plenty of other events you can do…." Another argument I received when asked their finish time of 12+ hrs.. "oh well he's a MOP, since he's not qualifying for Kona it doesn't matter. MOP/BOP don't' really matter." Again, WTF!!!! Dude really, are you fucking kidding me MOP or BOP don't matter?? Just because someone isn't qualifying for Kona doesn't mean their overall ranking in div, doesn't matter to them. Another example is the now infamous "T3" scandal…supposedly she was just a few minutes off from the 500,000 IM finisher, could you imagine if she was!!! What a mess that would have been, same goes for racing under another persons name. I don't even want to think had this person racing IMAZ been in an accident.

Now I'll be honest here, my emotions are a little involved on what to do. This person is a little bit of a pompous douche. All he ever talks about how he never gets passed on the bike and how fast he is. In fact as soon as he finished he was gloating about only 5 people passed him on the bike (yeah, he counted…WTF) what he failed to recognize was it was because everyone passed him on the swim (ok, that's me being mean, but still). This person is bragging about racing posting pics of his finishers medals including IMAZ. He's also a founding member of a group who "inspires athletes". I guess he's encouraging and inspiring athletes all over the world to partake in breaking the rules.

My question to all of you is, do you consider racing under another persons bib a form of cheating?

PLEASE DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A LANCE THREAD!!!

Well, it is cheating but I wouldn't turn him in. Has he done an IM before? Did the guy that ran with his bib have a good time or was he MOP or BOP? Obviously if the original purchaser has never done an IM before, he is seriously devauling the acheivement by having his name on record as completing a race that he did not enter. If original bib holder has done an IM before and the guy that ran in his place ran a slower time, there is less of a foul, but it still isn't right.

If the person that ran in his place did really well, it's a serious, serious foul but still don't rat them out. Someone else will do that for you eventually. Hell, anyone that looks him will look for event photos and see another person. They will be caught eventually.

I would not rat him out as the only thing lower than a cheat is a rat. Maybe you should just tell them how you feel and leave it at that.
Last edited by: WTFoxtrot: Nov 20, 12 11:35

KyraMorgan wrote:

Another example is the now infamous "T3" scandal…supposedly she was just a few minutes off from the 500,000 IM finisher, could you imagine if she was!!! What a mess that would have been, same goes for racing under another persons name. I don't even want to think had this person racing IMAZ been in an accident.

500K IM finisher was in Florida. I was there catching when he came in. What scandal are you referring to?

Re: IMAZ "Cheating"...? [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]

This isn't about calling him out. This is about what you consider "cheating". Anyway, didn't give enough information to figure out who it is, I was careful to be generic in my description.

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Re: IMAZ "Cheating"...? [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]

Life is too short. She should let it go!

Re: IMAZ "Cheating"...? [WTFoxtrot] [ In reply to ]

Well, it is cheating but I wouldn't turn him in. Has he done an IM before? Did the guy that ran with his bib have a good time or was he MOP or BOP? Obviously if the original purchaser has never done an IM before, he is seriously devauling the acheivement by having his name on record as completing a race that he did not enter. If original bib holder has done and IM before and the guy that ran in his place ran a slower time, there is less of a foul, but it still isn't right.

If the person that ran in his place did really well, it's a serious, serious foul but still don't rat them out. Someone else will do that for you eventually.

I would not rat him out as the only thing lower than a cheat is a rat. Maybe you should just tell them how you feel and leave it at that.

attitude like this allowed lance to win 7 TdF...really poor showing on your part mate

You know how I feel about this. Ignore the idiot who says outing this behavior is worse then the cheating. Maybe he mixed those up but sadly I doubt it. From what I've seen WTC doesn't do much in these kind of situations so it's up to the tri community to police this behavior. Whatever form that takes.