Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2012 B2B practice/recon swim
Quote | Reply
If you are interested in checking out the swim course the day before the race I am putting together an informal practice/recon swim.

The friday before the race we can meet at the parking lot behind T1 at about 7:30. We will pile in as many cars as it takes to get over to the swim start for the half. Not a whole lot to see on the full course before you reach the half start. We will hop in and swim the course to the swim finish and walk across the street to T1. (Just like on race day).

The tide should be relatively close to what it will be like on race day.

If you could please PM me and let me know you plan on attending. Or I will be working in the BikeCycles booth at the expo on thursday. Just stop by, look for a guy named Patrick and say hello.

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Re: 2012 B2B practice/recon swim [Turd Ferguson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're interested and you know somebody who may be pass on my info to them as well. I know how threads can get buried on here

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any chance you could post a recap after your swim?
Quote Reply
Re: 2012 B2B practice/recon swim [Ubear97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patrick - I can't gty that I can make it Friday morning, but will try.

At any rate thanks for organizing and also for all your insight on the race and the area! Much appreciated. Looking forward to the race and the visit to Wilmington for the first time.
Quote Reply
Re: 2012 B2B practice/recon swim [IronLance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronLance wrote:
Patrick - I can't gty that I can make it Friday morning, but will try.

At any rate thanks for organizing and also for all your insight on the race and the area! Much appreciated. Looking forward to the race and the visit to Wilmington for the first time.

You got it! Anything I can do to help

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, I'm going to try to make it on Friday.
Question - any expectations about what the water temp will be come race day? I have found much online so far. Should I bring a neopreme cap?
Quote Reply
Re: 2012 B2B practice/recon swim [jgrahamtriath] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jgrahamtriath wrote:
Hey guys, I'm going to try to make it on Friday.
Question - any expectations about what the water temp will be come race day? I have found much online so far. Should I bring a neopreme cap?

No.

Water at Masonboro Inlet is mid seventies today. I do not see the temp going below 72 come race day.
That being said, I am off to said beach to go and swim and bodyboard. Out.
Quote Reply
Re: 2012 B2B practice/recon swim [OldFart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OldFart wrote:
Water at Masonboro Inlet is mid seventies today. I do not see the temp going below 72 come race day.
That being said, I am off to said beach to go and swim and bodyboard. Out.

It warmed up to 60 today. I only had to wear jeans and a zip up hoodie. I hate you.

--
Yes, I know it's grammatically incorrect. Blame AOL and their 90s-era character limits.
--
Quote Reply
Re: 2012 B2B practice/recon swim [yournotunique] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know I mentioned it earlier but I am not working the expo. I will be at the shop though.

Looks like we should have a pretty good group.

See ya guys then.

Enjoy your taper

(FYI look for a grey mazda 6 wagon on friday morning)

Last edited by: Turd Ferguson: Oct 12, 12 12:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not posted on the forums but I will be flying down for the race from Canada and would like to join the practice swim Friday morning. I will connect with you at the store on Thursday Patrick. Thank you for organising this.
Quote Reply
Re: 2012 B2B practice/recon swim [CDNtriGal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you got it. I will be there after 12

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I plan to join you guys. Be good practice for sure. Since I'll be the slow one, I ward off any boats. They'll stop as they think they've hit a manatee!
Quote Reply
Re: 2012 B2B practice/recon swim [sickness] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
quick question for you vets/locals -

is there any parking around the swim start (stress free parking that is)? and then around T1? Seems like the start area is a lot tighter in terms of land than T1 is.

I am trying to figure out the best way to get family (wife and 2 yr old) around to see the race. Was thinking I could drive to t1 and drop off stuff, then drive down to the start and park. They could get out and see the swim start and then drive back to T1 to see me off on the bike. Wasn't expecting them to want to see anything, but my wife asked me earlier this week if they would be able to see anything before the run (not that she doesn't support me, it's just hard as hell chasing around a 2 year old especially around the beach and water!) Kind of threw me off

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IronLance wrote:

is there any parking around the swim start (stress free parking that is)? and then around T1? Seems like the start area is a lot tighter in terms of land than T1 is.

I am trying to figure out the best way to get family (wife and 2 yr old) around to see the race. Was thinking I could drive to t1 and drop off stuff, then drive down to the start and park. They could get out and see the swim start and then drive back to T1 to see me off on the bike. Wasn't expecting them to want to see anything, but my wife asked me earlier this week if they would be able to see anything before the run (not that she doesn't support me, it's just hard as hell chasing around a 2 year old especially around the beach and water!) Kind of threw me off

Thoughts?

This plan is destined to fail. Just tell them to be there when you leave T2 and at the finish.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: 2012 B2B practice/recon swim [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
IronLance wrote:

Thoughts?

This plan is destined to fail. Just tell them to be there when you leave T2 and at the finish.

Yeah, that's what I told them at first figuring they didn't want to see much of the race anyway, but then she chimed in that they wanted to try and catch more. Thinking I'm going to stick to the original plan and tell them to go spend money and shop all day lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IronLance wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
IronLance wrote:

Thoughts?

Yeah, that's what I told them at first figuring they didn't want to see much of the race anyway, but then she chimed in that they wanted to try and catch more. Thinking I'm going to stick to the original plan and tell them to go spend money and shop all day lol

My old lady is dropping me off at T1 in the morning and going to be downtown to see me on the run course and finish. T1 and that whole area will be a complete cluster f@*k in the morning

Last edited by: Turd Ferguson: Oct 17, 12 14:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone want to ride and run Thursday morning?
Can we ride down by T1?

Are we still swimming Friday morning @ 7:30?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still in, and am heading out from the Hilton Riverside, if anyone needs a ride.

--
Yes, I know it's grammatically incorrect. Blame AOL and their 90s-era character limits.
--
Quote Reply
Re: 2012 B2B practice/recon swim [kgfire03] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kgfire03 wrote:
Are we still swimming Friday morning @ 7:30?

Yup! Meet either at the parking lot behind T1 @ 730. Or if you want to meet us in front of the Blockade Runner hotel slightly after. The only thing with meeting us in front of the BR is getting back to your car

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will try to be there...looking up how to get to the parking lot behind T1 from the Mayfair Town Center.

Thanks Patrick.

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: 2012 B2B practice/recon swim [BrianD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianD wrote:
Will try to be there...looking up how to get to the parking lot behind T1 from the Mayfair Town Center.

Thanks Patrick.

Brian

Get on Millitary Cutoff (big main road in front of Mayfaire Town Center) and head towards downtown (if you are standing in Mayfair or the Hilton at Mayfair and are looking at Millitary Cutoff downtown will be to your right). Turn left onto Eastwood and drive straight, you will go over the bridge into Wrightsville Beach and 400yds over the bridge you will find the Town Hall and that is T1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome!....front desk of the hotel just said the same thing.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Turd just went 9:10 for the full. and swam 41:XX I guess the swim recon yeserday morning helped.

Solid solid day swork Turd
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He flew by on, I believe, his first loop when I was finishing the run. I yelled out "Turd!", but don't think he heard it. The people around me did, and probably thought I was even weirder than I already seemed.

--
--
Quote Reply
Re: 2012 B2B practice/recon swim [yournotunique] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yournotunique wrote:
He flew by on, I believe, his first loop when I was finishing the run. I yelled out "Turd!", but don't think he heard it. The people around me did, and probably thought I was even weirder than I already seemed.

Sorry i didn't respond. I can't really hear all to well in the ole "pain cave"

Quote Reply