Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

US Apologizes To Egypt After They Storm US Embassey
Quote | Reply
Our official response after Egyptians storm our embassey and burn our flag:

“Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy,” the statement said. “We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others.”

Obama was telling the truth when he said he will fundamentally change the USA.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by slowguy [ In reply to ]
Re: US Apologizes To Egypt After They Storm US Embassey [riltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
riltri wrote:
Our official response after Egyptians storm our embassey and burn our flag:

“Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy,” the statement said. “We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others.”

Obama was telling the truth when he said he will fundamentally change the USA.

To be fair, that "pastor" Terry Jones and his Florida "church" may have started all this up with a YouTube video or two critical of the Prophet Mohammad, even depicting him at one point, which is a big taboo with most Muslims, but burning and sacking US embassies in Cairo and Libya is hardly the way a mature society (and its central religion) handles such stuff. We were having an interesting discussion in that "YaHey Defend" thread and I was pointing out that a lot of folks are "brave" when it comes to criticizing Christianity and Judaism because -- with the exception of fools like this Terry Jones and those Westboro Baptist idiots -- they generally live and let live. But get up in Islam's grille, so to speak, and this sort of stuff tends to go on with depressing regularity lately, unfortunately.

The attackers made no secret of their sympathies, chanting, among other anti-American slogans, “Obama! Obama! We are all Osama!” The demonstration was attended by Mohammed Al Zawahiri, the brother of al Qaeda’s current head. Obviously, the timing of the assault on the embassy was intended to commemorate and celebrate the September 11, 2001 attacks.

...The consulate in Benghazi is now reported to be burning. An American official is said to have been murdered, and the mob is now looting the consulate.

FURTHER UPDATE: The death of a consulate staffer has been confirmed, and an unknown number have been injured in Benghazi:
Libya’s Supreme Security Committee spokesman said: “One American staff member has died and a number have been injured in the clashes.” …

Armed gunmen attacked the compound on Tuesday evening, clashing with Libyan security forces before the latter withdrew as they came under heavy fire.

Reporters on the scene said they could see looters raiding the compound, walking off with desks, chairs and washing machines.

Didn't we just help to liberate those folks from their oppressor regime, the one led by Muammar Ghaddafi?
Quote Reply
Re: US Apologizes To Egypt After They Storm US Embassey [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't we just help to liberate those folks from their oppressor regime, the one led by Muammar Ghaddafi?

Your question raises an interesting question: Is the world safer when muslim countries are under an oppressive regime? Recent history may suggest that such regimes control a totally out-of-control sector of the religion.
Quote Reply
Re: US Apologizes To Egypt After They Storm US Embassey [riltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Your question raises an interesting question: Is the world safer when muslim countries are under an oppressive regime? Recent history may suggest that such regimes control a totally out-of-control sector of the religion."

US ME policy (until recently) seems to like a strongman in charge of ME counties.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
riltri wrote:

Your question raises an interesting question: Is the world safer when muslim countries are under an oppressive regime? Recent history may suggest that such regimes control a totally out-of-control sector of the religion.

I have a friend from Iran. he once told me it takes a real mean sonofabitch to run a country like Iraq or any Middle East country because of the nature of the people in that country. So it sounds like the answer to your question is yes, it takes an oppresive regime.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the reporting I'm reading is accurate that statement was posted after news of unrest was circulating but prior to the attack.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go sort out the timeline.
Quote Reply