Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [milesaway] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesaway wrote:
Any other recommendations on what to use to cover the openings? Would electrical or duct tape work?

Gaffers tape. Matte black. No residue. Can be reused and sticks very well. I use mine to cover valve hole and I also use it to secure my aero bottle flat kit to bike. It is more expensive than duct tape but has many uses - again without the residue.
Last edited by: nickwisconsin: Jul 24, 14 13:31
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [dmitchetc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dmitchetc wrote:
When is the next order for Flo wheels coming out? I believe that's Order 14?

Order 14 takes place on July 31st at 10am PDT.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [dmitchetc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dmitchetc wrote:
from past experience, anyone know how quickly do they sell out?

Depends on exactly what you are looking to buy but, historically 3-5 minutes on carbon wheels, and up to an hour on 30s ''sometimes". We only have 40 FLO 30s available this time because of a small manufacturing delay so I'm guessing they'll go quicker. More are on the way.

All the best,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwisconsin wrote:
milesaway wrote:
Any other recommendations on what to use to cover the openings? Would electrical or duct tape work?

Gaffers tape. Matte black. No residue. Can be reused and sticks very well. I use mine to cover valve hole and I also use it to secure my aero bottle flat kit to bike. It is more expensive than duct tape but has many uses - again without the residue.

+1.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered 60/90, I still hesitate between 23mm or 25mm tyres...

I found only 1 post in 2012, any new review?

Can't wait to install it on my bike!
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [B3n01t] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B3n01t wrote:
I ordered 60/90, I still hesitate between 23mm or 25mm tyres...

I found only 1 post in 2012, any new review?

Can't wait to install it on my bike!

Based on wind tunnel studies, we are still recommending the 23mm GP4000s II tires by Continental. They are the fastest tires we found AND the fastest tires found by other manufacturers.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK I was always wondering what the big deal was with FLO wheels. There was no way that I was going to wait to buy these online and hope I got in on a buy. That was then and this is now.

I was able to buy a pair of FLO30 wheels for a great price and took them out for a 2 hour ride yesterday. These wheels are amazing. So much so that I am now thinking that I need another pair and they will be FLO60's with a cover most likely. WOW.

I did my normal ride and there is a long descent that I do where I pedal up to 45 km and then tuck and coast. I hit the fastest speed (75 km+) I have ever hit on the descent. I have ridden this at least 50 times and never hit the speed I hit yesterday.

The biggest changes was the ride quality. I pumped up the tires to the same I always do and it was night and day from my normal AM Sprint 350's which are 350g lighter overall. Both wheelsets have Conti 4000S on them and the AM's have latex tubes but I am not sure yet what the FLO's had as I bought the wheels with tires and tubes already installed. I was so excited to try them that I did not have a chance to check. I will be changing out the tubes to latex if they are not which if they are not will only make the ride that much better.

I have to say that I was WRONG about the FLO wheels and will be trying to get another pair as soon as I can for racing next year. Maybe the 60/90 might be the must have for next season instead of the 60/60 and cover.

Thanks FLO as you have another convert.
Last edited by: BMANX: Aug 28, 14 15:26
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the pricing what it is, many of us have wound up with an entire Flo family of wheels, I have their 30's, 90's and disc and love em all.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [LOW2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOW2000 wrote:
With the pricing what it is, many of us have wound up with an entire Flo family of wheels, I have their 30's, 90's and disc and love em all.

does the latest carnation of the wheel have the whoop whoop?

http://RoadID.com/...te/4HC4V-TAFQ9XPJDTX
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [BigCheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had it described as a jet engine, or as a car that is about to run you down, but its very consistent unless you are out of the saddle hammering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
OK I was always wondering what the big deal was with FLO wheels. There was no way that I was going to wait to buy these online and hope I got in on a buy. That was then and this is now.

I was able to buy a pair of FLO30 wheels for a great price and took them out for a 2 hour ride yesterday. These wheels are amazing. So much so that I am now thinking that I need another pair and they will be FLO60's with a cover most likely. WOW.

I did my normal ride and there is a long descent that I do where I pedal up to 45 km and then tuck and coast. I hit the fastest speed (75 km+) I have ever hit on the descent. I have ridden this at least 50 times and never hit the speed I hit yesterday.

The biggest changes was the ride quality. I pumped up the tires to the same I always do and it was night and day from my normal AM Sprint 350's which are 350g lighter overall. Both wheelsets have Conti 4000S on them and the AM's have latex tubes but I am not sure yet what the FLO's had as I bought the wheels with tires and tubes already installed. I was so excited to try them that I did not have a chance to check. I will be changing out the tubes to latex if they are not which if they are not will only make the ride that much better.

I have to say that I was WRONG about the FLO wheels and will be trying to get another pair as soon as I can for racing next year. Maybe the 60/90 might be the must have for next season instead of the 60/60 and cover.

Thanks FLO as you have another convert.

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am very happy to hear that you are enjoying your new wheels.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a sound, but it is definitely NOT as spine-tingling as a solid disc. I actually miss the sound so much that I regret selling my Zipp 900 and am considering switching back.

While this is foolish and likely slower, there is just something about that sound that completes the feel of "race day".

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't even think you need a disc for that sound - I heard whoosh whoosh all the time on folks with anything 60 or deeper
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not a whoosh. More like a rumble. The Flo makes a "doink" when you hit a pothole.

I want Rumble Rumble Thud.

/kj

Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
There is a sound, but it is definitely NOT as spine-tingling as a solid disc. I actually miss the sound so much that I regret selling my Zipp 900 and am considering switching back.

While this is foolish and likely slower, there is just something about that sound that completes the feel of "race day".
interesting that you say its faster. Would you mind sharing your experience and or results comparing the two?

http://RoadID.com/...te/4HC4V-TAFQ9XPJDTX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are my perceived benefits of the disc wheels I have owned.

Flo:
Clincher (more fast tire options and easier to install)
Shape (likely faster without good seat tube fairing)
Run a 25mm tire with less penalty (more comfortable)
Aluminum brake track (stops better)
Matches my Flo front wheel

Zipp 900 (older 2004ish tubular):
Sounds faster
Looks more PRO
Lighter

/kj

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn you! I noticed that FS thread right after you did. I knew I had no chance.

Fortunately for me, last night the wife approved the purchase of a pair of 30s in this next order :)
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [Imaking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was lucky that is all. You will love them when you get yours. I am going to try to get a pair of the 60's on the next order or the one after that. Still trying for a good frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Managed to get outside for a workout yesterday on my new set of FLO 30s. Given the intervals, wind, and flat terrain - I can't draw any conclusions on performance yet. I also want to tweak tire pressure a bit more. I'll say I'm shocked (and disappointed) at how easily the braking surface loses color. It was dry and I didn't do any descending yet I lost 10-20% of the anodizing in 23 miles. Compare this to my H+ Son Archetypes (the black ones) which got over 2000 miles before one day in the rain wiped them out.

Oh well - don't buy them for looks! I'm doing 100 miles with 7k+ climbing tomorrow so I should have a better opinion about their performance then :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Debating on buying a Flo disc. Also really want some Zipp 808s (newer/used). Currently have Aura 5s. Trying to figure out what would give me the best advantage for Ironman distance (IM WI in particular)
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [MUTri23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Should get you started. Best of luck whatever you decide. Your Bontragers are fast wheels.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but tried to find this information with the search function, but didn't get much luck.

I am trying to figure out information about when Flo started to add the foam to the disc (or so I am understanding from what I've read) to help silence the wheel. Can anyone at Flo confirm if a design change occurred, and if so when that did occur. Trying to see if a locally posted disc is worth the purchase. Thanks in advance all.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [Savage8778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd just email them, you'll likely get a faster response (jon@flocycling.com). They've always responded very quickly to me, not sure how often the monitor ST.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before pre-order 4, in Februrary 2013. Just do a search of the Flo blog for "foam" and then scroll down to the first comments.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [Savage8778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Savage8778 wrote:
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but tried to find this information with the search function, but didn't get much luck.

I am trying to figure out information about when Flo started to add the foam to the disc (or so I am understanding from what I've read) to help silence the wheel. Can anyone at Flo confirm if a design change occurred, and if so when that did occur. Trying to see if a locally posted disc is worth the purchase. Thanks in advance all.

That happened in early 2013 if I recall. I can probably find the exact date if necessary. What date was the FLO DISC you are looking at produced?

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply

Prev Next