Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My current position on 2012 Shiv (pic)
Quote | Reply
G'day.
Been working on my position a bit lately. Recently swapped out the stock Shiv bars for some Pro Missiles and my position has improved considerably. It is still something of a work in progress but I am pretty comfortable at the moment. Any comments or criticism would be welcome. (I am not quite sure that I got all the points right for the angles in the image but it serves as a guide).

Quote Reply
Re: My current position on 2012 Shiv (pic) [Philosoraptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks fiine.

I didnt know Specialized made the Shiv in a kids size though.
Quote Reply
Re: My current position on 2012 Shiv (pic) [yoyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah it looks really little in the pic. It is a size small. I am 174cm which I think is 5''8 or 5''9
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much do you want for the medicine ball?
Quote Reply
Re: My current position on 2012 Shiv (pic) [yoyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heh, I think it would be a bit heavy to post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who cares what people think....if you feel good, and comfortable go with it!

Shouldn't the line for the hip angle bisect the bottom bracket? It looks like you've aligned it with your pedal axle.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what program are you using to measure those angles?
Quote Reply
Re: My current position on 2012 Shiv (pic) [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
btmoney wrote:
what program are you using to measure those angles?

Kinovea. Someone on this board suggested it. It's free too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If comfortable, you could rotate your arms up slightly and maybe work on lowering your head between your shoulders a bit more to help keep the frontal area smal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably the largest undervalued aspect of bike fit is weight distribution on the bike. It surprises me it never really gets addressed despite it's impact on comfort esp. in females. Dan wrote a piece talking about it years ago and it really stuck in my mind as a diamond. As far as I can recall roughly 48% weight on front wheel and 52% back wheel were some numbers he mentioned as an upper limit. What does that mean in terms of angles and positions??...... A good starting point for many is if you draw a line thru' the shoulder joint and elbow joint that line passes cleanly thru' the centre of the headtube.

Now some people, particularly males may cope with a more aggressive aero position so if you can ride that position for 5hrs straight staying on the tribars about 98% of that time with no upper or lower back discomfort great. Otherwise consider my above point.....

FYI for those wondering how you check this, what you need is a calculator, a set of decent bathroom weighing scales and a turbo(indoor trainer).....

1) You weigh turbo (A), you weigh athlete in their kit + their bike (B).
2) Rest front wheel of bike on weighing scales and ensure both tires are same height from floor (you may need to shim under turbo)
3) Athlete gets on bike and in their aero position
4) Look at weight value on scales (Z) and calculate what % of (A+B) it is......

I have never had an issue with any bike fits for athletes after making sure that Z is not > 48%(A+B).
But I'll reiterate.... if you can ride that position for 5hrs straight staying on the tribars about 98% of that time with no upper or lower back discomfort great.

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Re: My current position on 2012 Shiv (pic) [snafuboy90814] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snafuboy90814 wrote:
If comfortable, you could rotate your arms up slightly and maybe work on lowering your head between your shoulders a bit more to help keep the frontal area smal.
I have been thinking about angling the bars upwards very slightly. I might give it a try. My head tends on slump down a little more between my shoulders when I settle.
Quote Reply
Re: My current position on 2012 Shiv (pic) [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tilburs wrote:
Probably the largest undervalued aspect of bike fit is weight distribution on the bike. It surprises me it never really gets addressed despite it's impact on comfort esp. in females. Dan wrote a piece talking about it years ago and it really stuck in my mind as a diamond. As far as I can recall roughly 48% weight on front wheel and 52% back wheel were some numbers he mentioned as an upper limit. What does that mean in terms of angles and positions??...... A good starting point for many is if you draw a line thru' the shoulder joint and elbow joint that line passes cleanly thru' the centre of the headtube.

Now some people, particularly males may cope with a more aggressive aero position so if you can ride that position for 5hrs straight staying on the tribars about 98% of that time with no upper or lower back discomfort great. Otherwise consider my above point.....

FYI for those wondering how you check this, what you need is a calculator, a set of decent bathroom weighing scales and a turbo(indoor trainer).....

1) You weigh turbo (A), you weigh athlete in their kit + their bike (B).
2) Rest front wheel of bike on weighing scales and ensure both tires are same height from floor (you may need to shim under turbo)
3) Athlete gets on bike and in their aero position
4) Look at weight value on scales (Z) and calculate what % of (A+B) it is......

I have never had an issue with any bike fits for athletes after making sure that Z is not > 48%(A+B).
But I'll reiterate.... if you can ride that position for 5hrs straight staying on the tribars about 98% of that time with no upper or lower back discomfort great.

Interesting stuff, thanks. I have wondered about weight distribution. I have found that when in the aero position, having more weight on the front of the bike, thus having my weight over my forearms and not over the perineal area tends to be more comfortable, but when I was on my road bike I preferred to have my weight supported more by my sit bones than arms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, thanks for the post in other Shiv thread.

I'm The same height as you and potentially could have the same fit measurements.

What's your stack now with the pro missiles?
Looks like you are at or close to lowest setting stem and so may be at lower limit of stack for the small?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: My current position on 2012 Shiv (pic) [Fazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Using a spirit level from the center of the bb and measuring straight up/down from the level to the armrests I am getting about 580mm. Also, this stem is one of the variable angle ones. I am currently at -8 degrees but it can go to -16 which gives quite a bit of extra drop. IIR, these bars have about 4-4.5cm more drop/less stack than the stock specialized ones. They also have a couple more cm reach than the stock ones in their forward-most position.
Happy to take other measurements if this helps you.
Quote Reply
Re: My current position on 2012 Shiv (pic) [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tilburs wrote:

Now some people, particularly males may cope with a more aggressive aero position so if you can ride that position for 5hrs straight staying on the tribars about 98% of that time with no upper or lower back discomfort great. Otherwise consider my above point.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks.
Perfect so, did you chose missiles as they provide lowest stack options or just personal choice.
I guess it's more the stem that enables this anyway - which do you have?

I would be interested to know your current reach now from centre of BB to arm pad using same method of spirit level.

I'm currently at 470mm and suspect we may have v similar fit so this is ideal.
Much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reach is roughly 435mm from bb center to edge of armrest another 35-40mm to the center of the armrest so a total of 470(ish) center to center. This is using the stock 90mm stem. The stock stem comes with shims that allow you to change its angle from -8 to -16 (or might be -18) so using the standard stem I could lower and lengthen the front just by swapping the shim.

I had a short list of bars that I wanted because they all had low stack. My list was the Pro Missile (not the Evo which has more stack), the Easton Attack (preferably the newer model which uses collets to retain the extensions like the Missiles as opposed to the older model which does not have adjustable or swappable extensions), or the Felt Devox/Bayonet bars which also have a very low stack. The Missiles just happened to be the ones that came up at the right price while I was looking. They are very nice bars and I am very happy with them.

Good luck with your fit and let me know if there is any more info I can help you with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks,
I wasn't aware the standard stem has some adjustment. Good to know.
I also thought the clamping mechanism meant if changing aero bars then you would need to change stems also?
So are you running the standard stem with Missile Aerobars?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, standard stem with missile aerobars. The ones with the carbon bars require the integrated stem but the ones with alloy bars like the Comp just use a standard stem.
Quote Reply