Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cracked Zipp Stem SL145 Faceplate
Quote | Reply
I have a Cannondale Slice and I was removing the headset for travelling last week and noticed that the faceplate on my Zipp Stem (SL145) has a small crack near the edge. I have ridden with this and not noticed any weakness (prior to finding the crack). I did a quick google on this - and it seams to be a common problem with the stem. I always use a torque wrench on my carbon products - and in this case only did 5nm (the limit is at 6nm). Any ideas on how I return this to Zipp, or order a new faceplate?
Quote Reply
Re: Cracked Zipp Stem SL145 Faceplate [lmbasell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sucks. Do you have the chrome plated one or the black one? Either way, I know you can buy a black, replacement one on their website. I had the chrome one and it flaked off from sweat. I went to their site and ordered the black, replacement one. Here's the link: https://store.zipp.com/ and they're $24.

Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info - I have the chrome plated one which I think is the first generation of them. All the chrome flaked off all the ones I have seen. I have them on both road and tri bikes and the chrome was terrible. Hopefully the black is a little better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just about to go hunting for this. Thanks! Just ordered a new faceplate as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lmbasell wrote:
I have a Cannondale Slice and I was removing the headset for travelling last week and noticed that the faceplate on my Zipp Stem (SL145) has a small crack near the edge. I have ridden with this and not noticed any weakness (prior to finding the crack). I did a quick google on this - and it seams to be a common problem with the stem. I always use a torque wrench on my carbon products - and in this case only did 5nm (the limit is at 6nm). Any ideas on how I return this to Zipp, or order a new faceplate?

Perhaps you could call them tomorrow. I've always had good service from them when a product didn't perform as expected.
Quote Reply
Re: Cracked Zipp Stem SL145 Faceplate [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - I will try calling them today - but purchasing items from Wiggle et al into Australia you normally get very little customer support from the supplier or the local distributor...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I'm desperately looking for Zipp 145SL faceplate.
Does anyone knows where I can get one?
Regards, Seb.
Quote Reply
Re: Cracked Zipp Stem SL145 Faceplate [rappid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seb,

Did you ever find one? Mine cracked this morning and I'm looking for one now. Zipp Tech support said they do not make or stock them anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Cracked Zipp Stem SL145 Faceplate [balsdorf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, been looking for last 6 months without luck.
Found Zipp supplier in Australia, sent them email to confirm stock availability,
they said 'in stock', placed order but after few days they send money back :(
My friend was trying to fix faceplate by welding but won't work.
Don't know what to do. Can't find any aftermarket replacement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can use something other than the standard faceplate. I used two bars that had the proper spacing on an older stem years ago without issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Cracked Zipp Stem SL145 Faceplate [Orbilius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Orbilius, you mean something like this:

I have tried before but Zipp has a bit wider spacing, unfortunatelly.
Same Raceface and Thomson faceplate.
Quote Reply