Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

pilonidal cyst from cycling?
Quote | Reply
I just had a pilonidal cyst removed yesterday and now I'm going to be taking it easy for the next couple of weeks while it heals.
My doctor insisted that due to my cycling my cyst formed and got infected. Has anyone had this problem? Suggestions on how to not get it again? Recovery process? etc?
Quote Reply
Re: pilonidal cyst from cycling? [thekylefoster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had this surgery a little over a year ago now. I specifically asked my doctor about cycling and he told me I would be fine, cycling would not cause it to reappear.

My recovery process from initial surgery was one week in bed and another couple not doing anything stressful. Sitting was uncomfortable for about a month. My biggest issue was that my wound didn't heal properly with stitches so it had to get reopened and heal naturally, which led to a second (shorter) round of recovery.

I needed a break from intense training (just coming off competitive club crew and moving across the country) so after one month totally off, I took another month to very slowly ease back in. Had to slowly build distance on the bike rides because I was a bit sore afterwards. I was fine after that, and haven't had any problems since - even with cycling 4 days a week.
Quote Reply
Re: pilonidal cyst from cycling? [dwesley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. I'm doing the open healing right of the bat, so we will see how it goes. I signed up for my first tri of the season before i got this cyst. The race is June 3rd and so I have about 4 weeks to heal with out doing much and then i'm thinking about doing the race. We will see how it goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was always there. It just got sweaty and infected. Cycling didn't cause the cyst. The sweaty dirty nature of it may have helped it flare up.

Heal first. The tri's will always be waiting for you with an open door policy.

It's no fun to have to go back if your healing from the surgery goes to the crapper (pun intended). Been there.

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others said, make sure you are fully 100% healed. Once you've fully recouperated, you should be ok, or at the very least, not make it worse. Recurrances are frequent for all users, but in my instance, I have not had another flare up since surgery several years ago, and my cycling volume has increased significantly post surgery to what it was presurgery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had one removed 10 years ago. I don't think cycling caused it, and like someone else said I ride a lot more now than I did then. The doctor (a friend) said it was always there, and something may have irritated it or caused it to abscess, but it would have happened eventually.

Stitched healing didn't work for me, so had to go open. I think recovery time was roughly 6 weeks, but having it reopened definitely added 2 weeks.

You would be cutting it close to your first tri. Just relax, heal, and find a late season race. If anything, being bedridden and then sidelined for a month or more will make you more excited to train.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pilonidal cysts are caused by a hereditary congenital defect in the skin of the lower spine.
Therefore cycling can not cause them. Most Pilonidal cysts are asymptommatic but painful if they become abscesses. most people do not sit on a pilonidal cyst it is above the " sit bones" unlike saddle sores which are related to cycling.
Quote Reply