Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Does your body constantly feel like it needs sugar? [phourgenres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am much the same way; my body seems to demand carbs/sugar practically every hour. The way I address this is not by depriving myself but by ensuring that there is always a good supply of healthy and tasty foods on hand. Nearly all store-bought food is ridiculously high in sugar (not to mention other crap) so I make a lot of homemade stuff. I eat 3+ "desserts" a day, but I make sure that they are healthy and have nutritional value. It's almost like tricking your body into thinking it's getting a sugar fix. Here are some of my favourites:
  • muffins - Smaller and less sweet and greasy than the store-bought variety. I bake different kinds every week. Staple in my diet.
  • pumpkin pie either crustless or with a low-fat oatmeal/nut crust and 1/2 the amount of sugar the recipe calls for - Pumpkin is super healthy and all the eggs are a good protein source. This is good with plain yogurt. Eating some right now!
  • wholewheat blueberry cake (reduced sugar)
  • chocolate pudding (reduced sugar) - This is basically just milk and cocoa.
  • cocoa-zucchini loaf

I literally always have at least one of the above in the fridge. Anyone can make good desserts using lots of sugar and fat. The challenge is making good desserts that also happen to be pretty wholesome. I'm happy to share recipes if people are interested.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Re: Does your body constantly feel like it needs sugar? [endorphin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like the recipe for the cocoa-zucchini loaf!

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Re: Does your body constantly feel like it needs sugar? [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alright, here's the cocoa-zucchini loaf recipe. Nothing fancy. This is partially from memory so don't hate me if it doesn't work out! Enjoy!

2 cups grated zucchini or carrots (or a combo)
1/2 cup crushed pineapple, drained (optional - I almost always leave this out because it's annoying to open a whole can)
1 ripe banana
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I've been meaning to try light olive oil instead)
1/3 cup milk or buttermilk (buttermilk = magic awesome ingredient in everything)
1 cup brown sugar (try this first and reduce if you find it sweet enough)

2 cups whole-wheat flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup chopped walnuts or other nuts (optional)

Blend the wet ingredients including the sugar in a food processor. Add the zucchini/carrot near the end to avoid completely pureeing it. Add wet ingredients to the well-mixed dry ingredients. Depending on the water content of the zucchini and optional ingredient choices, the consistency of the batter can vary. You want batter that pours easily and does not clump. Use extra milk as needed. Bake 40-45 minutes at 350 or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Makes 2 loafs or ~24 muffins (only bake for ~18 minutes for muffins). If you want a real treat, try adding 1/3 cup choc. chips and/or a light cream cheese frosting.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Re: Does your body constantly feel like it needs sugar? [phourgenres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're definitely stuck on the carb train. Wean yourself off of it by adding in more protein and healthy fats (nuts, seeds, avocado, coconut, etc) at the same time you start getting off all those carbs. Don't try to stop the carbs first - this will just make you extremely uncomfortable and quit trying. Start adding the right stuff in first and leave the other crap out when you stop being so hungry for it.

I had a footlong subway sandwich last night for the first time in forever and all that bread made me absolutely insane for more carbs. The stuff is like crack. Get off of it and stay away from it and good luck.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happens to me all the time after a long workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Does your body constantly feel like it needs sugar? [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
substitute oranges or apples for sugar. It helps fight the cravings (just a little bit at first, but after a day or so it satiates the craving).

x2 on oranges.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Does your body constantly feel like it needs sugar? [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's how I describe it for me...If I hit the carbs (bad) I'm like a crack addict looking for another fix, really, really soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uh...you and everyone else that has this sugar 'obsession' needs to take the hour and 20 minutes to watch this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

< Quitting Isn't An Option >

Quote Reply
Re: Does your body constantly feel like it needs sugar? [vibrolux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, what happens is your body floods the bloodstream with insulin to deal with all the sugar. Then you're stuck with too much insulin and not enough sugar to match it, and you get really hungry, weak, and even shaky and lightheaded. The fix? More carbs. Toot toot, you're now a passenger on the carb train.

The low blood sugar reaction to too much carbs is one of the first sign of the Carb Train's next stop - Type 2 diabetes. Ditch the higher volumes of bread, pasta, and other processed carbs and significantly increase the intake of healthy fats, fiber, and protein instead. You'll notice a difference immediately. Fats take a little longer to digest, but they are way more satisfying and filling for longer periods than carbs. Start snacking on mixed nuts instead of plainer carbs for a good start. Then add oils and chia seeds to lots of your foods and watch what happens.

After you get used to eating this way, you'll notice all the round people eating tons of carbs and then the diabetes epidemic will make total sense.

Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Does your body constantly feel like it needs sugar? [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^Exactly.

About two months ago I made a conscious effort to drastically reduce the amount of carbs in my diet, particularly the "useless", "empty" ones, like bread. Part of this decision was to get rid of GI issues (all the gluten!) which almost always ruined my long runs (even morning runs before breakfast, on an "empty" stomach) and to get leaner.

I never ate that much meat, mainly because it's expensive, but I made an effort to go more vegetarian. I eat meat maybe twice per week, sometimes not at all, depending on what I feel like eating. My meat choices are 9/10 times chicken or salmon. I then upped my vegetable and fruit intake and started replacing highly glutenous foods like rice and pasta with things like quinoa. Side note, quinoa is great because it has a lot of caloric and carb energy but is very light on your stomach. A cup of quinoa sits much nicer in my stomach than a cup of rice.

I had insane bread cravings the first two weeks, but then it suddenly subsided. I do eat a couple of slices of bread per week (really, only 2) just because I enjoy it, but never on the days when I run. I also stopped buying all the cookies, crackers, candy, weaning myself off that stuff.

What's the change? I am getting leaner, my sugar cravings have strangely disappeared completely the past couple of weeks and I feel more energized. During training, I can go longer on less, and I don't crash nearly as hard after a long training day. It used to be that my regular Sunday's of long, hard ride (3hrs+/~95km+), 30-40min run, 1hr/3000m swim would leave me completely wiped, systems shutting down by early evening, and supremely hungry - I would raid the fridge and cabinet and eat just about anything in sight. And more. I could eat a whole container of ice cream, 3xhandful of Prince cookies, chocolate, etc etc. I would be insatiable, would feel good and then feel like shiiiit and just have to sleep.

Not anymore. That kind of day is not so daunting anymore, and it doesn't seem as long. Instead of getting through it, I am now able to really focus on each discipline and the "task" in each session. I finish off the day with a high and actually don't need to consume much more than normal. Interestingly, my energy requirements during training, specifically on the bike, are less and the taxation on my body from training seems to be much less now (quicker recovery I guess?).

Very anecdotal and probably a mix of several different factors that can't be measured, like, increased motivation now that the sun is out and races are just around the corner. But still...

Last edited by: Staer: May 1, 12 8:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And about that carb train...

I bought a roll of Prince cookies last weekend just because...it was Sunday, I was chilling out Skyping and listening to music, it fit the mood. I hesitantly opened the pack, not really wanting one, but doing it just because I thought it would be nice...well, I ate one, went back to my room, then back to the kitchen for one more, back to my room. Made the round trip again, but with two cookies, then again and suddenly I there were only two left and I found myself on a food rampage, raping the fridge and ransacking the cabinet.

Luckily I realized what I was doing halfway through it all and was like, wtf mang, it's all in your head.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly! That's why I limit my carbs, period. After years of eating what I wanted because "well, I'm training so I can eat it", and not being able to slim down even with 10 hours of Tri training a week I went on the South Beach Diet. Like magic, I shed the excess weight and my blood chemistry improved drastically!

Some will think this crazy, but, we as Americans in general eat WAY too many carbs of any form. The calories just pile up along with the cravings.

Now, most of my carbs come from high fibre foods (sweat potatoes and other vegitables) and I try to snack on mostly almonds and cashews. My one obsession is Tortilla chips!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bread is not an empty carb or useless carb.

its not even a fructose containing food (as long as you buy bread with no sugar added)

there is nothing more sad than all the people so worried about every damn food that is viewed as having carbs in it. the stress that must add in your lives.

if gluten messes with you, of course, avoid it. if not, don't be afraid to eat pasta or a PBJ! for the love of science.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Does your body constantly feel like it needs sugar? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very true.

I cut those things out more because of the GI stress I was experiencing than anything else. It's important to be conscious of these things, but not over-controlling. If I feel like eating bread, I will. If I feel like eating rice or pasta or whatever, I will. My "rules" are loose, because yes, it'll start getting really stressful and frustrating with too much control.

Quote Reply
Re: Does your body constantly feel like it needs sugar? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One problem though jackmott...next time you go to the grocery store try and see how many of the loaves of bread don't have sugar in it...it's gonna be difficult.

I steer clear of any enriched bread (also accounts for 80%+ of all the bread there) and any bread with sugars in it, specifically HFCS.

Anyway, your first point is completely accurate though, bread/pasta is not necessarily a bad, empty or useless carb if it is a multi-grain type. I do enjoy myself PB&Js though :) but I mash up my own fresh fruit, mmmmm unbelievable the difference in taste.

< Quitting Isn't An Option >

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried eating larger meals instead of every hour? Feeling truly full goes a long way. I promise you won't become obese and destroy your training progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a sugar addict! I have some sort of cake/brownie/cookie every day after lunch and dinner. Plus, I wash down lunch and dinner with a can of Coke. I love sugar!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
there is nothing more sad than all the people so worried about every damn food that is viewed as having carbs in it. the stress that must add in your lives.

I agree with you. That's why, instead of asking myself "is this bad for me?" about every food choice I might make, I've changed my paradigm to "what good things will eating this do for me?". If you're not gluten intolerant, there isn't a scientific consensus that bread or pasta is "unhealthy". However, if you look at what nutrients those things (bread, pasta, etc) bring to the table, especially if you give a qualitative edge to naturally occuring nutrients (i.e. not fortified), grains lose to vegetables - at least outside the realm of during exercise consumption.
Quote Reply
Re: Does your body constantly feel like it needs sugar? [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grapefruit kills sugar cravings for me too

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Does your body constantly feel like it needs sugar? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
grapefruit kills sugar cravings for me too

I put sugar on it. Grapefruit that is.

"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life".
Zappa
Quote Reply
Re: Does your body constantly feel like it needs sugar? [KonaDreamer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why put sugar on something when you can put something like Truvia on it? I am not knocking you at all, I'm really curious that I might be missing something. To me if sugar is bad and Truvia is not bad for you (unless this is not the case.) and they accomplish the same thing to add sweetness than why not make the simple switch? Again, I am not disputing anyone but asking is it me that is missing something about substituting Truvia for sugar. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jack,

I generally agree with every post you throw out here and as a fellow Texan i will always defend you.....but not this one.

bread CAN be a useless carb. it isn't always but MOST of the time it is. I agree with you that people generally are way to scared of food but it isn't the food that is the issue it how that food is made and when in the day it is consumed. I know you added the disclaimer of as long as you buy bread with no sugar added but 98% of all people don't, and the breads labeled 100% whole wheat or multi grain are just as bad.
Unfortunately most people eat processed white bread or the safe "wheat" bread which is still laden in sugars. another problem is people generally start off the day with WAY to many carbs, this is what starts the blood sugar roller coaster.
for example if I had two pieces of toast with jelly and orange juice or a bagel with jelly and coffee and a banana....I can assure you that I will be going crazy later in the day i.e. 1-2 hours later.

However if I were to take two pieces of bread (even the crap kind) and added peanut butter and had coffee or water or tea I can tell you my blood sugar is much easier to control.
Starting the day off with a good protein with healthy fats will help control your Blood sugar levels which is where this "craving" comes from.

too many people utilize bread as their main source of carbs when they should be looking at potatoes, rice or corn based products that generally are slower burning carbs and don't jack with the blood sugar levels.

If I eat bread after lunch i am generally ok (don't let me go to Red Lobster as I will eat about 3 baskets of those cheesy biscuits).

good bread that is homemade or hasn't used refined sugars is a safer bet but if you think it is okay to utilize bread you get off the shelf at the grocery store I can assure you that you are setting yourself up for failure.

To the O.P. the only other thing it could be is an early sign of overtraining. also your diet is horrible. you eat WAY to many refined carbs.

this is my diet yesterday and for the most part my diet every day.

5am wake up- (didn't train this morning) started coffee while waiting grabbed an ensure high protein.

7:00am - had 2 cups of black coffee with 1/4tsp of splenda in each up to this point

8:00am - 5 eggs scrambled (4 egg whites to 1 whole egg) mixed with brown rice (2 cups)

10:00am - 1 PR Bar

11:30am - rode 20 miles at my maximum aerobic threshold)

1:00pm - post workout drink (current one is universal torrent)

1:30pm - brown rice (2 cups) with 6 oz of organic grilled chicken and sugar snap peas

3:30pm - Honey milk protein shake

5:00pm - ran 5 miles at maximum aerobic threshold ( in taper of IMTX)

6:30pm - spaghetti (gluten free noodles/ my son is a celiac and we all support him by eating the same thing) with organic gluten free spaghetti sauce and organic brown meat.

9:00 pm - Casein protein shake with chocolate peanut butter flavor.

this doesn't include all the water I drink all day but you can see I have some sweeter flavored stuff in there but I don't have a blood sugar level that is out of whack either. I don't experience any highs or lows.

anyway just hoping to help. hope this does.

Kirk Noyes

Downtubes are for Dinosaurs

Quote Reply
Re: Does your body constantly feel like it needs sugar? [vibrolux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go get Allen lim's cookbook, "the feed zone cookbook". We were recommended it and it is amazing. We both feel so much better after just 2 weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Does your body constantly feel like it needs sugar? [forzagto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have an answer or thoughts regarding this? Thanks

forzagto wrote:
Why put sugar on something when you can put something like Truvia on it? I am not knocking you at all, I'm really curious that I might be missing something. To me if sugar is bad and Truvia is not bad for you (unless this is not the case.) and they accomplish the same thing to add sweetness than why not make the simple switch? Again, I am not disputing anyone but asking is it me that is missing something about substituting Truvia for sugar. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have this problem too somewhat. I force myself to get the blueberry muffin instead of that frosted cinamon roll. It usually works out pretty good.
Quote Reply

Prev Next