Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Does your body constantly feel like it needs sugar?
Quote | Reply
I can't figure out whether this is just an addiction or a need. I figure after a hard workout my glycogen stores are depleted, but all day long (and the day after) my body craves sugar (almost every hour). Somedays I'll through an entire box of frosted shredded wheat and a couple peanut butter and jelly sandwiches before the day is over. I eat full meals in between, but my cravings don't stop until I've had something sugary on top of my meal. I usually drink two bottles of gatorade during a two hour workout too. Just checking to see if this was just me and a unhealthy addiction, or whether it is normal for an endurance athlete. Even though my BMI is something like 23, I still fear diabetes eating 150-200g of sugar a day.
Quote Reply
Re: Does your body constantly feel like it needs sugar? [phourgenres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phourgenres wrote:
I still fear diabetes eating 150-200g of sugar a day.

1/3lb of sugar a day? This is not normal, even for an endurance athlete. And you are right to be scared.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Does your body constantly feel like it needs sugar? [phourgenres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is most likely a lack of protein. I went through the same thing.

I craved sugary foods constantly. It would drive me up the wall if I didn't have some kind of sugary snack at least once a day. Now, I drink perrier/S. pelligrino and eat some cold cuts and I feel much better. I've also lost quite a bit of weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's got to be some healthier carbs you can eat besides 800 Cals of sugar. Whole wheat bread, rice, sweet potatoes etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm... well I guess if this is abnormal I'm going to start making an effort to keep it below 100g a day. I read somewhere you're supposed to eat 17g per 1000 cal, and a lot of days I will eat 3-4k cal.

Btw, I already eat a lot of carbs and proteins on top this. The only thing I would say might be lacking is my sat fats, I'm a stickler about sat fats. I usually eat all my fats in peanut butter, avocado, and hummus.

A normal day for me...
breakfast - a bowl of cereal
ride 2-3hours
2-3 bean burritos and a bowl of cereal right after
...1 hour later... a pb&j sandwich and a orange
...2 hours later... a deli sandwich - with turkey, avocado, hummus, honey mustard, and spinach and another bowl of cereal
...1-2 hours later...two servings of pasta or salmon and a sweet potato and a piece of bread with jelly for dessert.
...1 hour later... and apple
...30 minutes later... and pb and banana sandwich
...and usually another bowl of cereal thrown in here somewhere
....1hour later - bed.
Last edited by: phourgenres: Apr 28, 12 15:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use Truvia with plain yogurt and fruit, peanut butter and banana, sweet potatoes, Vitamin Water Zero, dates, green/white tea with Truvia. Some of the things I eat and I always need to finish meal with something sweet.
Quote Reply
Re: Does your body constantly feel like it needs sugar? [forzagto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OP you sound like me...except I'm worse. I cannot get a grasp on it either. I can eat all of the sugary foods I want it and not wince. Once I take my first bite of sugar its game over. The only thing that helps for me is just not keeping it around. My friends all know of my sweet tooth and we laugh about it but its starting to take its toll on me now. I've tried the typical, eat this, eat that.....ect. It just doesn't work for me.

IE:
-Mom gave me 5 boxes of girl scout cookies. I ate them within a half hour.
-Sisters birthday a few weeks ago I ate 6 cupcakes and 3/4's of a cookie that is supposed to serve 25.
-Can eat two pints of B&J and still feel fine....
Last edited by: yimmy: Apr 28, 12 16:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How old are you?! Your teeth will ROT with a diet like that. I like sugary foods too, but my "fix" is have 3-4 Oreos when I get home from work. Everything else is mostly fruits, vegetables, and meats. I don't have a clue about nutrition or dietary facts, but wholesome foods seem to keep me "filled up" a lot better that very sugary snacks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What happened to real food and common sense...

Try to integrate more protein and healthy fats into your daily menu . Leave the simple carbs for training\race refueling.
Protein and fat combined with complex carbs will reduce your blood glucose spikes and dips followed by more sugar cravings.
All these spikes and dips caused by simple carbs aka sugars make you hungry and angry and puts you in this infinite loop of sugars consuming. Your brain interprets the glucose dip as hunger even though you just consumed a nice amount of food and calories and makes you craving for more food and carbs.

Last edited by: ilan_k: Apr 28, 12 18:51
Quote Reply
Re: Does your body constantly feel like it needs sugar? [yimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yimmy wrote:

IE:
-Mom gave me 5 boxes of girl scout cookies. I ate them within a half hour.

Really? I though eating 1/2 a box was bad, you have some deep problems there my friend
Quote Reply
Re: Does your body constantly feel like it needs sugar? [ilan_k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The "peaks and dips" really makes sense, thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Far more fat and protein will cut the sugar cravings.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Does your body constantly feel like it needs sugar? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I figure sugar in a natural form is not too bad. We have such easy access to fruits let alone downing refined sugar so the whole balance is out of whack compared to our dawn-of-man gathering days. Same for salt & meats ooh its nasty.

So to counteract: I drink Crystal light orange-tangerine with a few shots of real lemon juice (citric acid) and maybe a spoon or two of fake sugar.
I sub fake sugar all over the place. Be careful what you read - most of it is BS wrt to fake sugar.
Special organic bread made locally. Rye wheat spelt etc... stuff is insanely good.
I went back to cereals I ate as a kid - Shredded wheat, oatmeal
Salmon is so good out here
Our water straight up from the lake is amazing.
I do eat chocolate 85% dark, roibos tea

No gatorade, no juice, No alcohol
switching to Decaf coffee helped a ton too.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Does your body constantly feel like it needs sugar? [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Decaf coffee?! What's the point!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we are actually predisposed to want sugar. It's high in calories and that's what we used to need when we could get it. Stop eating it and you'll stop craving it.

substitute oranges or apples for sugar. It helps fight the cravings (just a little bit at first, but after a day or so it satiates the craving).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I am training hard, every 7-10 days I get insatiable. Like I can't eat enough. I used to end up going way off and eating like a whole loaf of homemade bread with honey. After that I would be good for another week or so.
Quote Reply
Re: Does your body constantly feel like it needs sugar? [grimrock99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cut down to a daily intake of 50g for the past two days. You guys were right about withdrawals, I've had a non-stop headache.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, just food, doesn't seem to matter what it is, a bowl of cheerios or a cucumber fills me up the same way pop tarts do. They are obviously different in their nutritional value but they fill me up the same.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the more sugar you eat, the more you crave, it literally messes with your brain, you need zero grams of processed sugar a day, doesnt matter if youre an endurance athlete, if you are eating even more than 30 grams a day, you are going to be unhealthy, the only time it helps you is during workouts, and probably then only on workouts of 2 hours or longer, sugar in fruit is ok
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
agree with the advice to add protein, but GOOD protein. Not processed deli meats. Add good fats like nuts and avocados also. For real sweet cravings, try dates or raisins. And also agree that the more sugar you eat the more you'll crave. But the wacko advising decaf coffee is just insane (and should probably be hospitalized).

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i used to.
but since I've gone gluten free the sugar cravings stopped.
I much prefer salty over sweet now, which is much ezier to live with the choices are healthier.

sure it has something to do with much less 'sugar ' (in form of heavy carbs) going in, so my body just doesn't want.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
phourgenres wrote:
Even though my BMI is something like 23, I still fear diabetes eating 150-200g of sugar a day.

You don't get diabetes from eating sugar. The main causes are obesity and to a lesser extent a low aerobic fitness. If you already have poor glucose tolerance, eating sugar is likely to worsen high blood sugar levels and accelerate damage to the pancreas leading to frank diabetes but if you can control your blood glucose well, as you probably can, it's exceedingly unlikely eating sugar will give you diabetes.
Quote Reply
Re: Does your body constantly feel like it needs sugar? [grimrock99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grimrock99 wrote:
When I am training hard, every 7-10 days I get insatiable. Like I can't eat enough. I used to end up going way off and eating like a whole loaf of homemade bread with honey. After that I would be good for another week or so.
I've found that is caused by eating too little each day. It takes those 7-10 days for the calorie deficit to accumulate and your body to run out of glycogen, causing the insatiable feeling. If you count your calories each day to work out the long term average you need, then eat that amount every day, you should avoid getting into that insatiable state.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you sound like my wife, where sugar is defined as all carbohydrates.

phourgenres wrote:
I can't figure out whether this is just an addiction or a need. I figure after a hard workout my glycogen stores are depleted, but all day long (and the day after) my body craves sugar (almost every hour). Somedays I'll through an entire box of frosted shredded wheat and a couple peanut butter and jelly sandwiches before the day is over. I eat full meals in between, but my cravings don't stop until I've had something sugary on top of my meal. I usually drink two bottles of gatorade during a two hour workout too. Just checking to see if this was just me and a unhealthy addiction, or whether it is normal for an endurance athlete. Even though my BMI is something like 23, I still fear diabetes eating 150-200g of sugar a day.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously?

I'll just say that the more sugar you eat, in any form, the more sugar your body will want. You need to break the carb "habit" and "cravings" then start back with healthy carb choices. Others have mentioned them already.

I would love to know your blood chemistry numbers (Chol, triglicerides, etc.)......
Quote Reply

Prev Next